ORION and the upcoming peak...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The biggest mystery to me about the programming of Orion is that it wasn't programmed to distinguish from left and right we were told. This is mind boggling because it's actually one of the easiest lines of code they could have written for this program. It constantly has you deliver to or turn left even when it has you coming back when it's then on your right.

Left versus right is an irrelevant distinction when you sit behind a desk and write code for a living.
These are the sorts of problems that inevitably tend to happen when people who have never done a job come up with bright ideas about the best way to do a job.

Last edited:

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I know absolutely nothing about Orion but I don’t think anything can be built or programmed to take the place of a human brain when it comes to setting up a route. There are just too many variables that have to be factored in and they all change daily. I’m sure glad I never had to deal with it—-I’m afraid someone would have died.
The problem is, we're dealing with corporate brains. Not human brains.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I have yet to encounter a single driver...at my building, at a union meeting, on Brown Cafe, or on the UPS Teamsters FB page...that believes that ORION is anything other that pure garbage.
Even the on car supervisors know that it is crap, but they will only admit it in hushed tones and after looking around nervously to make sure no one is listening.
The only people who are still drinking the ORION Kool Aid....are people who will never actually have to use ORION on a delivery route themselves.
ORION is a great concept...from behind a desk.
It looks like an amazing solution...on a computer monitor.
But it fails miserably in the real world where the packages actually get delivered.
I don’t believe that Orion is pure garbage. It can be a useful tool, but it shouldn’t be the only tool.

Overpaid Union Thug

The biggest mystery to me about the programming of Orion is that it wasn't programmed to distinguish from left and right we were told. This is mind boggling because it's actually one of the easiest lines of code they could have written for this program. It constantly has you deliver to or turn left even when it has you coming back when it's then on your right.
I'm still trying to follow ORION 100% unless RDO is available. My helper and I have started trying to keep track of how many stops on his side are passed and delivered on my side because of ORION. Some days we lose count.

wayfair

swollen member
I was borrowed to another center a couple months back. They gave me a map with package cars on it. Is that the map you are referring to? I was useless.

I don't know. The new drivers are glued to the ORION monitors and print maps off that.

Poop Head

Judge me.
I don't know. The new drivers are glued to the ORION monitors and print maps off that.
You can still print them maps in rdo, just has no lines. Since the onset of Orion only, I've been printing the maps, ignoring the lines, and running the route the right way. Alot easier for me to just look at the map to see what stops I have/ don't have, than scrolling through 200 plus randomized stops

wayfair

swollen member
You can still print them maps in rdo, just has no lines. Since the onset of Orion only, I've been printing the maps, ignoring the lines, and running the route the right way. Alot easier for me to just look at the map to see what stops I have/ don't have, than scrolling through 200 plus randomized stops

explain the method of printing maps in RDO...

I don't need it, maybe someone does.

soberups

If you look at your map in the morning and click on the “HIN” column, it switches from ODO to RDO.
Then you can drag-and-drop the HIN column over so that it is next to the address column.
Having created a complete RDO list with sequential HIN numbers next to the addresses, you can then use your phone to take a photo of the screen. Depending on the number of stops you have, you can do can capture the entire route in one photo, two photos, or you can take individual photos of your 1000-2000 section, 3000-4000 section, 5000-6000 section and 7000-8000 section.
This will allow you to navigate and plan your route on your phone by swiping back and forth between photos. Its not an ideal solution, but it is a viable work-around if your PDS is being a dick and refusing turn ODO off or at least print out an RDO manifest for you (which he can easily do without showing up on a report).

Delivery!!!

If you look at your map in the morning and click on the “HIN” column, it switches from ODO to RDO.
Then you can drag-and-drop the HIN column over so that it is next to the address column.
Having created a complete RDO list with sequential HIN numbers next to the addresses, you can then use your phone to take a photo of the screen. Depending on the number of stops you have, you can do can capture the entire route in one photo, two photos, or you can take individual photos of your 1000-2000 section, 3000-4000 section, 5000-6000 section and 7000-8000 section.
This will allow you to navigate and plan your route on your phone by swiping back and forth between photos. Its not an ideal solution, but it is a viable work-around if your PDS is being a dick and refusing turn ODO off or at least print out an RDO manifest for you (which he can easily do without showing up on a report).
What the hell is wrong with you people? Show up just before start time, run Orion until late afternoon then check for any service issues so you make them by 5. Then continue running Orion and give stops away to be under 9.5. The only one losing here is the company and they should due to the complete incompetence of taking RDO away.

soberups

What the hell is wrong with you people? Show up just before start time, run Orion until late afternoon then check for any service issues so you make them by 5. Then continue running Orion and give stops away to be under 9.5. The only one losing here is the company and they should due to the complete incompetence of taking RDO away.
What is this “9.5” you speak of?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
What is this “9.5” you speak of?

Hahahaah

I signed on to work
And I work until it is done

So tired of overworked individuals who habitually complain or grumble: complainer, crab, faultfinder, grouch, growler, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer.