ORION and the upcoming peak...

govols019

You smell that?
I absolutely loved ORION on my last package route...It upped my miles and lowered my stop count...it made me consider not going into feeders.

You just have to embrace the insanity.

So far orion gets an friend. Will it ever get a passing grade, or even as high as a C? In order for that to happen it would have to stop picking one random stop off the back shelves. And allow me to locate whole blocks/neighborhoods so I can decide weather I have the time to clean them up with my air.

Future

Victory Ride
So far orion gets an friend. Will it ever get a passing grade, or even as high as a C? In order for that to happen it would have to stop picking one random stop off the back shelves. And allow me to locate whole blocks/neighborhoods so I can decide weather I have the time to clean them up with my air.
Who cares ... friend them all

Delivery!!!

What your asking for sounds similar to something we just had. I think it was called RDO.

Overpaid Union Thug

I absolutely loved ORION on my last package route...It upped my miles and lowered my stop count...it made me consider not going into feeders.

You just have to embrace the insanity.
100% ORION Trace + 9.5 list = LESS WORK

or

100% ORION Trace + No 9.5 List = MORE OT

It's a Win/Win for everyone if they embrace the suck.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In other words...RDO.

soberups

The underlying flaw with ORION is that the algorithm is based upon the assumption that the driver can open the bulkhead door, step inside, and select any package in the car in seven seconds or less.
The absurdity of this assumption is magnified during peak season when routes wont contain and stops are bagged up and shuttled out to us, meaning that ORION is literally instructing us to deliver stops in the AM that are not physically on our cars and wont be until we get to the pod and pick them up at 6:00 at night.
Its other flaw is that it views pickups as nothing but points on a map with commit times.
To a driver in the real world, pickups are not simply points on a map. They are cubic feet of space that must be made available in the car during that time frame.
Cubic feet of delivery volume=X
Cubic feet of pickup volume=Y
Cubic feet of space in the car=Z
If X+Y equals or exceeds Z the equation fails.
The closer that X +Y get to Z, the more that the drivers SPORH is degraded due to having to fight the bulk, thus magnifying the flaw in ORION’s equation.
Peak season is about efficiently managing the finite amount of space in the car and making adjustments to the delivery trace in order to compensate. Drivers in the real world know this. ORION does not.

trickpony1

Sober-
Just my opinion but...
You're putting WAY too much time and effort into something that doesn't want to be fixed.

You're a cancer survivor. Some people think that stress diminishes/weakens the immune system and opens the door for opportunistic diseases such as cancer.

Do you need the stress? Just roll with their stupidity. They don't care what you think.

Let it go.....

soberups

Sober-
Just my opinion but...
You're putting WAY too much time and effort into something that doesn't want to be fixed.

You're a cancer survivor. Some people think that stress diminishes/weakens the immune system and opens the door for opportunistic diseases such as cancer.

Do you need the stress? Just roll with their stupidity. They don't care what you think.

Let it go.....
You are absolutely right.
But the problem for me is that after 31 years I still take pride in doing a good job.
That has been programmed into me.
I am simply unable to just flip a mental switch and embrace deliberate failure and forced stupidity as some sort of virtue.
It would be a lot easier if I could.
When the day comes that I no longer care about doing the job the right way, it will be time for me to retire.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
You are absolutely right.
But the problem for me is that after 31 years I still take pride in doing a good job.
That has been programmed into me.
I am simply unable to just flip a mental switch and embrace deliberate failure and forced stupidity as some sort of virtue.
It would be a lot easier if I could.
When the day comes that I no longer care about doing the job the right way, it will be time for me to retire.
z

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

This newer generation of drivers is much more eager to embrace the stupidity than the drivers that were raised up in the company to take some pride in their job.
UPS has drummed that out of the business model and forced the workforce to become callous to save their sanity.

Sober-
Just my opinion but...

Let it go.....
For me, orion is the stress. When you are delivering stops the wrong direction on busy streets, missing businesses, retracing streets you delivered earlier, looking for an address on a 70 mph highway in the dark (not knowing if you can drive in). I HATE GETTING REAR ENDED.

You are right, the less stress the better. I will never use Orion again. It’s a method and safety killer.

Heavy Package

I have not heard a peep about ORION in months. Think about that for a second - our company spends over a BILLION dollars on a revolutionary software tool that has been in implementation now for several years and no one in the entire center management team cares if or how we use it???

WTF? ORION is a nationwide loser.