ORION and the upcoming peak...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Basically.... I'm not a fan of it either. But it's not going away.
They wasted a billion dollars on it so you are right, its not going away.
The best that we can hope for is for someone in authority to recognize what a catastrophic mistake it was, and to maintain ODO but also quietly restore the RDO option in a manner that will still allow the idiots who signed off on it to save face.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The best that we can hope for is for someone in authority to recognize what a catastrophic mistake it was, and to maintain ODO but also quietly restore the RDO option in a manner that will still allow the idiots who signed off on it to save face.

As long as you’re making it look like it works

What incentive do the folks that make these type of decision’s have to change it

99 out of 100 times it’s best to make all your deliveries when you are in the area the first time. Not when you come back for pick ups. Especially when it’s a smart pickup that comes out of the board everyday.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
imagine caring about a computer program at your job this much

In general, ODO does not work. Imagine a computer program that puts employees and the general publics safety at risk. Causes one to fail at their job. And forces (if run 100%) you to go against the methods.

542thruNthru

In general, ODO does not work. Imagine a computer program that puts employees and the general publics safety at risk. Causes one to fail at their job. And forces (if run 100%) you to go against the methods.

You love using this line lol. First it was because you were being sent out on routes cold now it's ORION. Drama queen.

soberups

You love using this line lol. First it was because you were being sent out on routes cold now it's ORION. Drama queen.
There is a 250-unit housing development in my loop that was an empty field when I started delivering there.
It has only one entrance and exit.
Once the streets had been put in and the number grid established, I sat down (on the clock) and wrote a detailed trace for the entire development that would, by using the cul-de-sacs and loop streets, allow the driver to deliver to every single address in the development without having to back once.
My trace was installed into PDS, and one time I actually went over two years without ever putting the car into reverse when I delivered there.
I was kind of proud of that accomplishment. That is called walking the walk when it comes to safety.
Then ORION came along, threw that trace in the garbage, and replaced it with an idiotic cluster-coitus that takes away the safety of a set routine, that has the driver running it a different way every day, and that has him backing multiple times in a neighborhood full of children. All for a theoretical savings in distance that would be measured in tens of feet.
So yes, ORION is unsafe. Any system that intentionally destroys the driver’s established routine and that forces the driver to unnecessarily back is, by definition, unsafe.

soberups

One of the neat parts about being an IE guy is the total lack of any sort of accountability.
You design equipment, formulate processes, implement time studies and write programs that other people have to use, safe in the knowledge that you personally will never have to leave the comfort of your office and be faced with the consequences of any mistakes you might make.
To you its nothing but a computer program, an algorithm with dots on a map that you view on a monitor from behind a desk.
But to someone like me who actually goes out and does the work in the real world...its an effing nightmare that completely invalidates the fundamental methods of a job that I have done for 31 years.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Every day so far for the past 2 weeks has started me in my 1k section, then 2k, then 3k... Glad you know everything!
I'm happy for you. Orion asks me to turn left across 2 congested lanes to turn into some apartments everyday. Its going to get these noobs killed crisscrossing busy roads. My advice to all seasonals run the busy roads in a way that makes sense and unbrick your middle asap, because Orion will have you digging more times than not.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
One of the neat parts about being an IE guy is the total lack of any sort of accountability.
You design equipment, formulate processes, implement time studies and write programs that other people have to use, safe in the knowledge that you personally will never have to leave the comfort of your office and be faced with the consequences of any mistakes you might make.
To you its nothing but a computer program, an algorithm with dots on a map that you view on a monitor from behind a desk.
But to someone like me who actually goes out and does the work in the real world...its an effing nightmare that completely invalidates the fundamental methods of a job that I have done for 31 years.
IE doesn't design equipment, write programs like ORION, or request the development of either

we just measure and train to use whatever the developers give us in the best way possible

hope that helps

Brownsocks

Just a dog
IE doesn't design equipment, write programs like ORION, or request the development of either

we just measure and train to use whatever the developers give us in the best way possible

hope that helps
And our guy does the best he can. When he is out it is hard not to call in because you know you're walking in to a :censored2: show.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I truly feel sorry for the new seasonal drivers. The loads are horrible, and having no area knowledge its hard know to scroll thru the manifest ,or what would be the best way to run the route.
I am more than a little amused at the Management types defending it,they need to come run a bricked out car loaded RDO,with ODO and have zero area knowledge then report back on freaking great this program is

Brownsocks

Just a dog
I truly feel sorry for the new seasonal drivers. The loads are horrible, and having no area knowledge its hard know to scroll thru the manifest ,or what would be the best way to run the route.
I am more than a little amused at the Management types defending it,they need to come run a bricked out car loaded RDO,with ODO and have zero area knowledge then report back on freaking great this program is
In my opinion on most routes RDO is superior in every way.
Orion cant even begin to handle a staggered pickup log. Does not compute.

JL 0513

Asked my sup if he knows if they'll be turning off Orion for peak and he had know idea a week before peak. Pretty sad. The DIAD batteries won't come anywhere close to surviving having to scroll through your EDD all day searching for sections you can do close to RDO order.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Asked my sup if he knows if they'll be turning off Orion for peak and he had know idea a week before peak. Pretty sad. The DIAD batteries won't come anywhere close to surviving having to scroll through your EDD all day searching for sections you can do close to RDO order.
EF8B5B46-F4B8-4882-82D8-33A9591438C9.gif

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
This was me a couple weeks ago. I failed miserably. Such a simple business route too but just not knowing the numbers sequence absolutely screwed me. It's all off of a busy highway. Thing had me turning left into traffic all day. If not for hitting info and getting the name of the businesses I would've missed service and done so many dangerous left turns.