ORION and the upcoming peak...

… and I don't care about efficiency. I'm paid to do the best I can the way UPS wants me to do it. If it means getting less stops done during the day...SO BE IT. It means no difference to me whether its November or July as I've stopped getting excited because it's peak.
I get paid to do the job the way I was trained and to make the best decisions out on road. I don’t care what time of year it is. Maybe you were never trained to work on your own (without a crutch) Or maybe I was improperly trained 25 years ago.

bumped

I get paid to do the job the way I was trained and to make the best decisions out on road. I don’t care what time of year it is. Maybe you were never trained to work on your own (without a crutch) Or maybe I was improperly trained 25 years ago.

I was trained 20 years ago. It's a different company now. The company doesn't care, so why should I.

Dr.Brownz

I keep asking management how ORION will work or how a driver will be expected to utilize ODO in the DIAD once we get to mid December and preload starts bagging up all the stops that wont fit in the car in order to have them shuttled out to the driver’s area and dropped in a pod for him at 5:30 at night. Because, after all, its pretty tough to deliver stops that aren't even on board your car.
I dont get answers, only a confused and slightly terrified stare...
images

davidix

I'll be 100% honest with you guys. As of now I'll play along with Orion even though this week has been tough. 4/ 5 days I ran Orion it was ok. But I did fail yesterday. I clocked out with 10 minutes before violating dot.

When peak comes is officially here I'm gonna go right up to my center manager and ask what kind of peak they want me to have. On one hand I go out and do a solid 250-280 stops with edd and a helper. Or I can do 180 and fail every single day. It's up to them.

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
...ask him to at least give you a paper RDO printout. He can easily do that without showing up on the report. Turn ODO off, hit print, turn ODO back on. Easy peasy. You can do OK if you have a paper printout.

Hey Sober.
We know each other. And I agree with you 100% about the Nearly Complete Failure of Orion. Been on my route many years. Have great relationships with my customers: both commercial and resi. I DO NOT wish to inconvenience ANY of them with later/earlier deliveries or pickups, or missed all together: and they know that.

However, I'm NOT OK with trying to "Patch" the numerous holes that Orion pokes in our DAILY ability to provide Safe, Accurate, and Efficient Service by asking for an RDO printout of my Orion dispatch.
We are compensated fairly, but not nearly enough to try to "re-do" Orion on a daily basis.

Here is a simple, and accurate, analogy:

Your parents tell you to "stop eating your steak with your hands. Quit using your fork to try cut up the meat. Use your knife."

"Use your knife!" to cut up and eat your steak they say.
"It makes MUCH more sense, and it makes eating your steak Much easier and enjoyable."

They are correct.
But they REFUSE to give you a Knife with your streak dinner!

The Corporate decision to remove RDO (the knife), and give us only ODO (our hands or a fork) to "neatly and cleanly" carve-out our day, is Absolutely Ludacris!
It's a much larger problem than you and I can fix.

And we shouldn't.

If they want us to use RDO "when necessary" to make service, then GIVE US RDO as a tool to use when necessary.

If all they send us out with is a "Fork", don't tell me to "use my knife" when you have already taken it away from me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hey Sober.
We know each other. And I agree with you 100% about the Nearly Complete Failure of Orion. Been on my route many years. Have great relationships with my customers: both commercial and resi. I DO NOT wish to inconvenience ANY of them with later/earlier deliveries or pickups, or missed all together: and they know that.

However, I'm NOT OK with trying to "Patch" the numerous holes that Orion pokes in our DAILY ability to provide Safe, Accurate, and Efficient Service by asking for an RDO printout of my Orion dispatch.
We are compensated fairly, but not nearly enough to try to "re-do" Orion on a daily basis.

Your parents tell you to "stop eating your steak with your hands. Quit using your fork to try cut up the meat. Use your knife."

"It makes MUCH more sense, and it makes eating your steak Much easier and enjoyable."

They are correct.

The Corporate decision to remove RDO (the knife), and give us only ODO (our hands or a fork) to "neatly and cleanly" carve-out our day, is Absolutely Ludacris!

And we shouldn't.

If they want us to use RDO "when necessary" to make service, then GIVE US RDO as a tool to use when necessary.

If all they send us out with is a "Fork", don't tell me to "use my knife" when you have already taken it away from me.
You make a good point and I like your analogy.
But...in our case, it isn’t our “parents” who are trying to enforce the rules about how to eat the steak it is a 12 year old babysitter.
The management that we deal with on a daily basis doesn’t have the authority to make any important decisions. They aren’t planners, they are plan facilitators. And the plan they have to facilitate is not their own. Kind of like the 12 year old babysitter who doesnt make the rules but is expected to enforce them.
I want to eat all the steak, so if they wont give me a knife I will try to figure a way to sharpen the edge of the fork so that I can still cut it. Otherwise it will be back on my plate again tomorrow!

Hey Sober.

They are correct.

And we shouldn't.

I takes little effort to deliver like its 1999.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I just got back doing helper for someone with an absolute disaster in their diad.

The stupid thing wanted us to cross an expressway back-n-fourth 5 times! Deliver to the same business 3 different times

It took a whole lot of headspace to only cross that road 3 times. Ideally The route should only cross once or maybe twice in a trace not designed by a toddler with a map and a red crayon.

wayfair

swollen member
When I got back to the building, someone needed help. OCS told OMS to send a certain driver. OMS said "nope, he's gotta helper and CAN'T work over 9.5"

going to be interesting!

542thruNthru

When you first started I'm sure you were trained on paper. Does that mean you don't use a DIAD?

You are paid to work as directed because things change. If you are directed to use ORION then that's what you do. You're just using your training excuse to ignore it.

Rubber Puckies

Ask your dispatcher to turn on "Helper Configuration" when they are adjusting your ORION properties. It will basically have you just deliver air, and then run almost exactly in HIN order, similar to RDO.

No One on hwy9

I take it most of you are not bid drivers. I know Orion is a loser tech, because each day I can shave near 50 miles and two hours off it just by running the route the way I think it should be run. Never been hassled when I don't follow Orion or when I do. Besides the digging I don't see that it's anything to worry about. If I'm following it, and first stop is shelf 8 in bulked out load, then..... hope it's not raining hard because when I unload the entire middle to find, them packages are gonna turn to mush.

When you first started I'm sure you were trained on paper. Does that mean you don't use a DIAD?

You are paid to work as directed because things change. If you are directed to use ORION then that's what you do. You're just using your training excuse to ignore it.
No, I was trained on the diad, but had paper for back up. My job is to attempt every package on time....Orion prevents me from doing so. I have NEVER been instructed to run Orion. Haven’t you heard, Orion does is a failure?