Orion Compliance

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I guess I am not seeing why it has to be such a problem. We can simply shut ORION off with a single keystroke and run the route the way it needs to be done. Why fight bulk and waste time and miles when the solution is so simple? Does it really matter that much if a supervisor whines about meaningless compliance metrics? Anyone who plans on making a career here needs to be willing to deal with whining from time to time, its part of the deal.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Indecisi0n

I guess I am not seeing why it has to be such a problem. We can simply shut ORION off with a single keystroke and run the route the way it needs to be done. Why fight bulk and waste time and miles when the solution is so simple? Does it really matter that much if a supervisor whines about meaningless compliance metrics? Anyone who plans on making a career here needs to be willing to deal with whining from time to time, its part of the deal.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Work as direct, case closed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Being told to generate an 85% ORION compliance metric is not a valid directive and we cannot be disciplined for failing to do so. Case closed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm sorry sober but you don't get to decide what's valid or invalid. If its not unethical unsafe or illegal you must work as directed.

wayfair

swollen member
more numbers....

what about the reliability of our workers, making sure everything gets out and delivered... my people depend on me at the time I get there which is dailey... don't like this skipping to sections 8,6,7,4,5,3... what a waste of time... man I got things to do

soberups

I'm sorry sober but you don't get to decide what's valid or invalid. If its not unethical unsafe or illegal you must work as directed.

True, buth those directions must be clear, understandable, and not in direct conflict with OTHER directions that we have been given. In the case of ORION...we have no way of knowing at any given time during the day what percentage we are currently running. Also...we have been instructed to make service on air, not to sheet businesses closed between noon and one or after five, to be 85% compliant on scheduled pickups, and to avoid backing in residential areas. These directions directly conflict with ORION compliance. The company cannot discipline us for "failing to work as directed" if obeying those directions would automatically cause us to violate OTHER directions that we have also been given.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Driver7906

I never even look at ORION and I just run my route how I choose to. According to the stats, I average between 78%-82% but I still use less miles than planned with ORION.

In my opinion, ORION was a huge waste of time and money on the company's part. It's a joke.

soberups

Case opened

85% is not however following Orion is.

Case closed.
What if your supervisor "directed" you to wear a clown suit, stand on one foot and recite the Gettysburg Address backwards while getting a signature? Could he discipline you for failing to work as directed if you were unable or unwilling to do these things? No. Such directions are no more valid than being told to generate whatever random compliance number your sup pulled out of his ass that day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Hypothetical scenario:

Joe Driver has been instructed to run 85% or better on ORION compliance.

Joe Driver has 2 stops left that are 10 minutes apart. One is a business, one is a residential. It is 4:55 PM and the business closes in 5 minutes.

Joe Driver pulls out a pocket calculator, does the math, and calculates that he is currently running at only 84% compliance. ORION is telling him to deliver the residential stop first and then go back to the business, by which time it will be after 5:00 and the stop will be missed.

If Joe Driver obeys ORION, he hits 85% compliance but gets a warning letter for missing the stop. If Joe Driver ignores ORION, he makes service on the package but gets a warning letter for coming in below 85% compliance. At least this is what happens according to the "work as directed" crowd. Sorry, but we cannot be disciplined for failure to work as directed when the directions are conflicting and mutually exclusive of one another. The right thing to do in this scenario, of course, is to take care of the customer by making service on the package and to hell with worrying about a compliance metric.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True, buth those directions must be clear, understandable, and not in direct conflict with OTHER directions that we have been given. In the case of ORION...we have no way of knowing at any given time during the day what percentage we are currently running. Also...we have been instructed to make service on air, not to sheet businesses closed between noon and one or after five, to be 85% compliant on scheduled pickups, and to avoid backing in residential areas. These directions directly conflict with ORION compliance. The company cannot discipline us for "failing to work as directed" if obeying those directions would automatically cause us to violate OTHER directions that we have also been given.

I'm surprised you left off your signature phrase---"Whatever we do to stay off of one report will put us on another".

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Orion joins the long list tools that UPS has spent a fortune on and are bound and determined that we use even if it may not be the most suitable tool for the task. It would be like if I spent a ton of money on a state of the art Calloway club. UPS's mentality is that I should use that club for every hole irregardless of whether I am teeing off or putting. If they really wanted to cut miles they should give you a better time allowance for driving fewer miles than the old "miles is money" mentality.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Orion joins the long list tools that UPS has spent a fortune on and are bound and determined that we use even if it may not be the most suitable tool for the task. It would be like if I spent a ton of money on a state of the art Calloway club. UPS's mentality is that I should use that club for every hole irregardless of whether I am teeing off or putting. If they really wanted to cut miles they should give you a better time allowance for driving fewer miles than the old "miles is money" mentality.

If Orion is setting up a route based on GPS, why can't they change the HIN#s of a route so it's loaded in "Orion order", thus eliminating the cherrypicking from one shelf to another? Wouldn't that at least make compliance feasible? The way it's set up now, it's like tying someone's shoelaces together, telling them to run a race and expecting them to win.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm always paid under, no driver followups, air delivered on time, never injured, always come into work even when I'm sick, customers like me, pickup compliance is very good, never talked to by my on-road after the PCM, basically I stay off the radar and provide great service.

NOW MY center manager WANTS TO BUST MY STONES BECAUSE MY ORION TRACE IS BETWEEN 80-85% WHILE SAVING 6 MILES A DAY

THIS IS WHY ORION IS A JOKE....AN FN UNFUNNY PIECE OF GARBAGE :grrr:

Indecisi0n

What if your supervisor "directed" you to wear a clown suit, stand on one foot and recite the Gettysburg Address backwards while getting a signature? Could he discipline you for failing to work as directed if you were unable or unwilling to do these things? No. Such directions are no more valid than being told to generate whatever random compliance number your sup pulled out of his ass that day.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Don't be so simple minded. I agreed that you cannot be held to an 85% standard but you can be disciplined for turning Orion off and not using it.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
My route I was always about scratch to .4 paid under, until the Orion told me how to work smarter. Now I am driving more miles, and I am close to 1 hour paid over almost each day.

My On Car has done 10 to 12 rides to "fix" this problem. He knows what the problem is, but if he lets me shut orion off he gets in deep with his boss about it.

Oh the best part is a few time orion has been shut off with my route and I go back to less miles and being paid under.

This is the future of UPS, and we are big trouble.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Orion must have been a pizza driver

Its the left hand turns I really don't understand in the least. I sit in traffic for what has to be an extra 20 to 30 minutes a day trying to turn left, my ideal time is though the roof. Trying to dig into my load to find a single package is the rest of my day, if the preload has put it in the wrong place or if it is small and hidden, its a joke.

Getting paid 45 to 60 bucks a day more to save what they say is maybe a gallon of gas a day is maybe the single dumbest thing I have seen in my close to 25 years at UPS.

soberups

Don't be so simple minded. I agreed that you cannot be held to an 85% standard but you can be disciplined for turning Orion off and not using it.
How do they know when or if you turn it off? And how does you define "using it" for the purpose of initiating disciplinary action? You cant. We either follow it 100%, or we use our professional judgement. They cant have it both ways.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Indecisi0n

How do they know when or if you turn it off? And how does you define "using it" for the purpose of initiating disciplinary action? You cant. We either follow it 100%, or we use our professional judgement. They cant have it both ways.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Your not understanding me.