ORION!!! What a mess...

tourists24

Got my ORION ride the other day..... its not going to be pretty.... the plan was for 52 miles, we went 61 (with the IE guy on board). The next day it planned me with way too many air stops added. Six late air (I was told ORION said I had time). Ended up turning the thing off before 1. Biggest problem Im experiencing with it is not mileage though. I usually run 1 to 1 and a half over everyday. ORION doesn't care about that lol. So I end up running it differently to avoid missed.... sigh

jaker

trolling
Here is something new , are sups are threating us with warning letters if we go over 92%

they want us between 85 and 92 and they don't care about how many miles you go over or how long you are out as long as you follow trace

tourists24

Here is something new , are sups are threating us with warning letters if we go over 92%

they want us between 85 and 92 and they don't care about how many miles you go over or how long you are out as long as you follow trace

that would be a fun one to see go to a panel after they warn you, then suspend, then fire....lol

browniehound

It worked great for my route the first couple of days. My truck was set up almost stop for stop (they must have been orded to 'massage my load' the first few days) and I thought the system was really going to work well for me. I was clean at 1400 and my pickups run from 1500-1700 and I was punching out before 1745 for a few days straight. However, all that good stuff changed rather quickly (I should have know it was too good to be true).

I now have to shut it off for a good chuck of the day because the thing would like leave 2 stops out of an entire neighborhood that I would have to go back to because I didn't notice it way down at the bottom of the edd. For example, I would drive down a 2 mile road and do #425 main st and then leave the street. But I had #5 elm which was 30 yards away (I can deliver both stops from the same parked position) from #425 main but it told me to do it later.
There's other funky stuff too, so I basically just do it my way.
I'm always under 85% trace but I'm also under my mileage everyday also so they haven't said a word to me about anything.

Right there is proof their system is nonsense if I do it my way and I beat the mileage everyday. Sounds to me like the entire thing is a huge waste of time and money.
I think their effort would be better used on improving the preload if they really want to save $$

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yup another waste of money. The whole edd,dol and pal label system doesn't work rght and now they want to waste money on another system that is going to fail like they did. I don't get it I guess they like to throw money down the drain instead of using it on stuff we need like a lot newer trucks, more drivers and some additional centers as a lot of centers have been maxed out for years. Stupid friend ckin idiots lol. It never ceases to amaze me how pathetically stupid they are.

jaker

trolling
We was told that even if we beat the miles and time they don't care and to follow trace , I can beat the miles by 20 and get done early with 73 trace ( I get yelled at ) I go over 20 miles and work 2 hours OT but do 90% trace ( I hear way to go ) I go over 94% trace no matter what happens with miles or time ( I get yelled at )

i am so done right now so the plan starting Monday is 98% trace until they fire me

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yup another waste of money. The whole edd,dol and pal label system doesn't work rght .

EDD, DOL and PAL do work right if it is set up properly. I had my last route set up beautifully with it but the current driver has it all screwed up with work that they added after he took it over.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If your supervisor is whining about your failure to be 85% "compliant", the important thing to remember is that any action you take to keep your name from appearing on one of their reports will automatically cause it to show up on a different one. Use common sense to be productive and they will complain that you arent following ORION. Follow ORION whether it makes sense or not, and they will complain about your overalllowed. You cant win. Once you accept the fact that you will get bitched at no matter what you, it becomes a lot easier to just tune them out and do the job the right way. I am a package car driver; my job us to run the route as safely and efficiently as possible. If I wanted to manipulate irrelevant statistics for a living, I would have gone into management.

Gadfly

UPS is installing Orion in our center right now. One thing I have noticed is it gives us new visibility into time studies. My route is laid out in the morning with expected delivery times shown for each stop. I called management on the fact they haven't included our break times in the plan. The company plan shows in black and white they expect me to work right though my breaks. They say verbally to take the breaks, but in writing there is no provision for personal time. I believe there may be legal requirements to give us the extra time.

Gadfly

Hold them to the 9.5 language. Also, check their delivery order and make sure the put in time adjustments for your break times. 15 minutes AM, 10 minutes PM. They cant send us out with plans that don't account for our breaks. Its illegal.

kingOFchester

Orion has me making more backs, residential at that if I were to follow it. Kind of like this, Deliver A few stops on David Dr, turnaround and deliver a stop on locust between David and Sharon, then deliver a few stops on Sharon, turnaround and continue up Locust. By doing it the Orion way it saves less the 1/10th of a mile. Rather then drive past David, deliver the locust stop between David and Sharon, turn on Sharon and deliver the entire Horseshoe then continue up Locust.

horseshoe-bend-id-1638620.jpg
As a fellow driver said, "Should we follow Orion, or the DOK". DOK....take path of least resistance. Turning left over and over again on busy streets is not path of least resistance. That is a path of twice the resistance. Back only when necessary. Backing in 2 residential driveways is not backing only when necessary. You tell tell me to follow DOK, but yet I have to follow Orion that goes against the DOK. I have to run better then 85%, but can't be over 92%. Bunch of BS. How about you tell me exactly how you want me to do it.

How am I suppose to know that I am between 85% and 92%? Perhaps I should take a pad of paper and calculator. Then keep track of every time I break trace. Then do the calculations to determine where I am falling. Being that I am not all that great with math, I may be out there for several more hours. When I get called into office, I can say "you are the ones that are demanding me to be between 85% and 92%. You need to add a program that will tell me where I stand in real time so I know that I am in that 7% window allowance.

I really feel for the Sups that have to go around to drivers. "I have to talk to you. Why are you backing in residential driveways?" Me "because of Orion". Following day "why are you over the miles under trace" me "because you don't want me to back".

Signed,

Another good driver lost.
horseshoe-bend-id-1638620.jpg

Last edited:

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

Okay I have a question. Say you have a tight area with lots of business stops. Now say Orion tells me to do 180 before 182, but 182 has 10 packages and they are in front of the 1 package going to 180. If I do the 10 at 182 first then the stop at 180 will that put me off trace?

Indecisi0n

Okay I have a question. Say you have a tight area with lots of business stops. Now say Orion tells me to do 180 before 182, but 182 has 10 packages and they are in front of the 1 package going to 180. If I do the 10 at 182 first then the stop at 180 will that put me off trace?

If its the same street name, no.