ORION, Who has it and tell us what you think...

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Orion is in place to cut routes and dumb down the job so the union can be busted under the guise of reducing miles.
You guys that are 'beating' Orion are suckers and are playing right into management's hands.

Aaron

I've got a business heavy route, and orion will have me leave a complex to go deliver other business or residential, only to come back to that complex to finish it laster in the day. I've been asked by the Orion team what they can change to get my compliance percentage above 80% (up to the 85% or whatever it's suppose to be). I told them, yeah, why would I leave a business complex half done just to come back to it later to finish it? So they supposedly fixed that.During my ride along, the orion guy kept wanting me to pass up stuff, to "stay on trace". For instance instead of running a neighborhood backward he'd have me drive past everything to pick up the trace to follow it. I asked him, but isn't the purpose of this to save miles? I was told to stay on the trace as much as possible.I like other don't follow orion in the morning. I'll look at orion and if it makes sense I'll follow it. I believe I break it most days since I do all the business first, and I run my air different. I make orion work for me, as in I use it in areas where I get splits where the trace wasn't the greatest to begin with. If I've got a 12hr dispatch, I don't look at orion at all.

jaker

trolling
I love how it wants me to cherry pick from my load , but if I do it because a stop is right next to it I get hit with breaking trace

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Orion is in place to cut routes and dumb down the job so the union can be busted under the guise of reducing miles.
You guys that are 'beating' Orion are suckers and are playing right into management's hands.

Im not "beating" ORION, I am simply ignoring it and doing the job the same way I have been doing it for 26 years now. The reality is that I am far more efficient and knowledgable of my area than ORION will ever be.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Orion can be added to the list of ideas that are just costing the company millions. Telematics cost a pretty penny to operate and maintain (ie it cost UPS money every time a signal is sent to a satellite and the mechanics are constantly replace sensors, solenoids and fixing the FOB problems ). Orion is costing a small fortune that will only get bigger as the system needs to be tweaked more that EDD and in order for you to get your EDD tweaked these days you need a letter from the president as the dispatch manager is to busy trying to figure out how he can cut another route to meet stops per car BS...

Add/Cuts especially while breaking commercial stops (business,schools) mixed in other routes is a HUGE reason why EDD FAILS and will be why Orion will fail. Maybe it will work on some routes, but many out of my center mixed with heavy business areas and residential, it will not work.

What we need are clean routes that are not spread and mixed with dissolved routes. We have guys on clean routes that cry if they work over 9 hrs. PFFF. We have routes were you are running 25 sphor and still at 10 hrs.

We need both union and corp to stop fighting over bigger pay and benefits and focus on smaller, tighter routes with cleaner commercial stops that tie in without the add cut bull !!!!

Imagine the last 10 yrs of raises going to more routes/drivers so even though we had hourly rate of 10 years ago, we wouldn't be running late on add/cuts & still earning a good hourly rate !!!

We should of fought for Keeping, or getting back those routes dissolved throughout these past years !!!!

I know how to budget and don't need nor want the O.time !!!!!

I blame Corp & Union on this whole freaking mess !!!!

That's just my 2 cents. feel free to tell me about the old Mcdonalds is hiring B.S.

Half a career working 2 jobs, the other half working 60 hrs. is not " living the dream " in my book AT ALL !!! No matter what pay we are getting.

Who says we have to work 2 jobs (part time UPS) or 55-60 hr full time to have a good career. I invested my time in the " living the dream " B.S. instead of finishing collage and it turns into this sink whole of life with $$$ in the bottom of the pit !!!

We are all focusing on the wrong crap, Orion included !!!!

The more expensive our part timers cost the company, the more incentive we give the company to just fill jobs as full time instead. We need to desolve the cost savings as much as possible for using part timers. This little pay bump to part timers should of happened LONG AGO, and should of spent focus on all the following contracts sweating UPS out with higher and higher part time pay. It would of cracked them into creating more full time work eventually even though full time would be making less, full timers would still have good pay and better near 8 hr work loads fair days work.

Maybe many " have the time, if they got the $ " but this just gets old.

Orion will just be another justification to cut routes and fill in all that " EXTRA " time they think drivers have.

Maybe I'll read the negative B.S. comments against me when i log back in a year from now. Until then, wake up cause your missing life as you work that "sweat" O.T.

I'm watching my kids grow up without me but at least I'm supporting them !!!! BULL CRAP !!! Yea this hard working man is Pissed OFF at Life, Corp. & Union right about now !!!

That whole strike in 97 for more full time jobs was just a big waste and a joke cause we sure are not fighting for it still !!!!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Im not "beating" ORION, I am simply ignoring it and doing the job the same way I have been doing it for 26 years now. The reality is that I am far more efficient and knowledgable of my area than ORION will ever be.
to quote the bard: A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Sober, 728 is right, you are beating ORION. And, the problem for you is, that as soon as management realizes that you are doing more work in the time allotted by ORION, you will get enough more to fill that gap.

didyousheetit

Rumor has it that orion will be turned off for peak ,I wonder why
we were on Orion last peak and nobody was told they had to use it. You don't have to have them turn it off. Just switch to rdo. They did say if you could use it and it made sense to use it. But,no-one pushed any percentages.

didyousheetit

We had an update installed for today. Was probably worst day yet on Orion. OC came out and said yes it is so messed up. They have to go back in and change the different plans they use. Another example of great use of management's time. I wish we could use Orion has a tool and not an end all.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Word on the street is that Orion was implemented in 2 centers in my state last month ,and that due to it being a full and complete cock up the drivers have been told in no uncertain terms NOT to follow Orion until 'enhancements are implemented'. I can't wait until it is implemented in our center,it will be a very nice pay raise

By The Book

We had an update installed for today. Was probably worst day yet on Orion. OC came out and said yes it is so messed up. They have to go back in and change the different plans they use. Another example of great use of management's time. I wish we could use Orion has a tool and not an end all.
We were told by Orion team to use it as a tool. Hit 85% delivery trace, do pickups within 15 min.+-. If you shoot for 100% trace when you first get Orion, you will be over miles, get very frustrated how it mixes resis into your business path, and cause you to scramble so you don't miss businesses. You will find many reasons why it doesn't work. If you really want to make it work, get an Orion printout of your route and follow it stop for stop and check your times with p/ups and businesses that close, etc. You will need about a weeks worth of printouts and a lot of patience because as it rolls out every driver is going to be needing face time with the on car sup. One thing I learned on a country rte. is its not that good at routing your path back to the building. You may save miles by not getting some deliveries early and then driving by them on the way in.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were told by Orion team to use it as a tool. Hit 85% delivery trace, do pickups within 15 min.+-. If you shoot for 100% trace when you first get Orion, you will be over miles, get very frustrated how it mixes resis into your business path, and cause you to scramble so you don't miss businesses. You will find many reasons why it doesn't work. If you really want to make it work, get an Orion printout of your route and follow it stop for stop and check your times with p/ups and businesses that close, etc. You will need about a weeks worth of printouts and a lot of patience because as it rolls out every driver is going to be needing face time with the on car sup. One thing I learned on a country rte. is its not that good at routing your path back to the building. You may save miles by not getting some deliveries early and then driving by them on the way in.
Its not my responsibility to figure out why it doesnt work and its not my responsibility to hound my management into trying to fix it. I never asked for it, I dont need it, and it doesnt matter to me whether it gets "fixed" or not.

cooperjake

I realize I'm way down the thread here, but does anybody have a link to a thorough explanation of what Orion is and how it differs from EDD? All I can find on Upsers is a kudos to the guy who invented it and a little said here about what it is.
It is a $500 million 82 page algorithmic formula created to save miles...instead it has you making left turns all day...it has you climbing through your load looking for random pkgs that it requires to be delivered "next"...the long and short of it is it is going to allow you to pay cash for a new boat ....

Sent using BrownCafe App