ORION, Who has it and tell us what you think...

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
I realize I'm way down the thread here, but does anybody have a link to a thorough explanation of what Orion is and how it differs from EDD?  All I can find on Upsers is a kudos to the guy who invented it and a little said here about what it is.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Why would you only worry about misloads in ORION centers? If you reduce miles by reducing misloads in ORION centers you'd be presenting a false report of ORION's impact on miles. I think this is how bad information is conveyed to upper management. Misloads should be fixed first so you can get an accurate baseline for the measurement of ORION results. Upper management and PAS developers need to take responsibility for the corporate wide misload problem created by PAS in my opinion. Until they admit the problem and get to work on a fix I don't think there'll be a permanent fix for misloads.

How can I 'like' 3 or 4 times?

browniehound

I have no doubt that you could accomplish this. Unfortunately, here is what would happen; you would get all the routes properly looped, you would have every route loaded and balanced correctly with a 9 to 9.5 hour day, your drivers would all be set up to succeed....and then some high-ranking dipschitt from IE would call the center and shove a Stops Per Car edict down your throat that would require you to eliminate 3 of those routes 20 minutes before start time so that his fat worthless ass could look good on some report. You would then be forced to randomly shovel all those packages into the remaining cars as fast as possible so that the preload could get its people off the clock, hit its PPH plan and look good on its report. The loops you worked so hard to create would be rendered meaningless, your drivers would hit the road half an hour late with crap loads and custerfluck dispatches and they would cross paths and run up miles chasing misloads all day. But, by golly, it would all look good on the Stops Per Car report.

Ahh, you make an excellent point and you said it all when you said it. I understand what the dispatch sups are up against, but there has to be a back-up plan and a back-up for the back up plan. no?

upsmann21

i currently work for a center that is on orion and it's a horrible idea. To cut miles some days it has you delivering business at the end of the day and crossing delivering odds and even addresses on a busy street. it's never the same trace twice and it all depends on where your air is in the morning. If u have a split on the other side of town on your 8000 it usually has you doing that at some point in the middle of your day. Luckily you can turn it off and deliver as you normally would BUT since I am not a route driver but i have heard of route drivers getting talked with for not following ORION. Our mgmt team hates it, but these guys have been in our center for the past 4 months trying to implement this system and its not going as smoothly as they hoped. ORION cuts miles but adds to the hours we work in a day. good thing i'm a 9.5 guy.

rudy5150

Part timers get exploited daily and the union allows it. $10 an hour for back breaking work. You really think they give a **** about ORION or drivers load when they dont have the time to get the job done correctly and safely. Body all sore after 4 hrs work...heres your $160 dollars a week go buy some ramon noodles beer and some gas. Toodles

ORION is a joke drivers in my center are running 100% and adding two hours and about 10 miles to their day. Ive had three rides for the system and they still havent got it to work remotely well. We start at 9 and i usually dont get out on area untill 9:30 or later and the system expect me to do 35 stops of ground and air before 10:30 very unlikely. Better get use to delivering everything out your driver door, running everything from the back of the shelf forward(what happened to the magical selection area), delivering half a neighborhood to have to finish it at the end of your day. I didnt go to M.I.T. but the wizards who came up with this **** are ****ING stupid they have no real world delivery knowledge and think that some "solution" is goimg to do my job better tahn me when ive been on my route for 8 years i think not

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Be sure to remind customers getting late service because of ORION to call right away to lodge a complaint.

Overpaid Union Thug

ORION is a joke drivers in my center are running 100% and adding two hours and about 10 miles to their day. Ive had three rides for the system and they still havent got it to work remotely well. We start at 9 and i usually dont get out on area untill 9:30 or later and the system expect me to do 35 stops of ground and air before 10:30 very unlikely. Better get use to delivering everything out your driver door, running everything from the back of the shelf forward(what happened to the magical selection area), delivering half a neighborhood to have to finish it at the end of your day. I didnt go to M.I.T. but the wizards who came up with this **** are ****ING stupid they have no real world delivery knowledge and think that some "solution" is goimg to do my job better tahn me when ive been on my route for 8 years i think not

Can't ORION be turned off with an override?

Yes Orion can be turned off but you have to be 85 percent in compliance. Just an update today I am entering one resi section three different times of the day just to drive past stops I'm going to do later

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yes Orion can be turned off but you have to be 85 percent in compliance. Just an update today I am entering one resi section three different times of the day just to drive past stops I'm going to do later

No, you dont have to be "85% in compliance."

Just do the right thing, take care of the customers, and run the route in the manner that best represents the interests of the company. If they bitch and whine about your compliance number, just nod your head and tell them you'll work on it. Eventually they will get bored with ORION compliance and find some other number to complain to you about.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
on ntil my sups put their grubby little fingers on it. Now, its a complete mess which I refuse to fix. I just don't care.[/QUOTE]

EDD was a major improvement until they stoped tweaking it as needed. Orion need to be tweak a lot more. Like weekly if not more.

I would bet if they let drivers fine tune EDD, they could shave some time and make things easier. I could set mine up stop for stop, accounting for odd numbering, addresses out of order, and the like.

What i would do, is let drivers start early with a computer that can make EDD changes.

oldngray

nowhere special
on ntil my sups put their grubby little fingers on it. Now, its a complete mess which I refuse to fix. I just don't care.

I would bet if they let drivers fine tune EDD, they could shave some time and make things easier. I could set mine up stop for stop, accounting for odd numbering, addresses out of order, and the like.

What i would do, is let drivers start early with a computer that can make EDD changes.[/QUOTE]

EDD changes wouldn't help if dispatch doesn't follow EDD. To generate the magical stops per car they usually need to throw in stops from other areas messing up everything.
Or have a couple of whiners who park their butts in the office every morning and cry and get work moved around ignoring loop dispatch.