OSHA fines post office in Florida $129,336 for exposing mail carriers to August heat

Poop Head

Judge me.
Idk if your joking, but we usually have 1-2 drivers see heat related issues every week from Jun-sept, we have had drivers who have nearly stroked out or were in the beginning stages of organ failure and had to spend days in the Er. :censored2:s no joke.
Run till ya keel over

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I didn't say it was a joke. UPS drivers have been working in the heat (and cold) since day one. It wasn't that long ago that UPS didn't even have shorts available for their drivers and you definitely weren't allowed to wear your own. Nothing but long pants you swear were made out of canvas. Now all of a sudden with this last generation everyone has turned soft and wants off for hot days. Work smart, drink PLENTY of liquids and DON"T run and you will survive. Quit being such pansies.
I think air conditioning is the reason. You become accustomed to the heat without it.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Summertime is the best. I can drink a gallon of water and never have to pee. Eat whatever I want cause it just pours out of my sweatglands throughout the next day. No school buses, no school zones, everybody is super nice cause they feel bad we have no ac (I got numerous free drinks from random businesses last summer. Soda Red Bull Gatorade. Good times

WTFm8

Ups is also supposed to provide us with clean water. If you guys notice construction crews and garbage men ect all have coolers. We don’t. That’s another issue to make if push comes to shove in the summer.

Know your rights.

My building had a skid of cases of water on hand for a few weeks last summer. Also handed out these water jugs to almost everybody. A couple times they even had 3 large coolers filled with bottles of water on ice at the PCM

EDIT: Then they had the nerve 2-3 weeks after the heat wave to ask why we were over-allowed so much the last ~5 weeks... big heat wave then 12” of rain over 2 weeks requiring a lot of DR bags.

D3A6729D-E344-402D-ABFA-63E476EC69B5.jpeg

rod

Retired 22 years
My building had a skid of cases of water on hand for a few weeks last summer. Also handed out these water jugs to almost everybody. A couple times they even had 3 large coolers filled with bottles of water on ice at the PCM

EDIT: Then they had the nerve 2-3 weeks after the heat wave to ask why we were over-allowed so much the last ~5 weeks... big heat wave then 12” of rain over 2 weeks requiring a lot of DR bags.

View attachment 238731
First building I worked out of for 8 years didn't even have drinkable water. There was no water fountain and a big warning sign on the bathroom faucet

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Idk if your joking, but we usually have 1-2 drivers see heat related issues every week from Jun-sept, we have had drivers who have nearly stroked out or were in the beginning stages of organ failure and had to spend days in the Er. :censored2:s no joke.
I believe ya ... seen many tennis players fall out with EMTs pumping saline solution into them.

friend:censored2: you @542thruNthru

WTFm8

First building I worked out of for 8 years didn't even have drinkable water. There was no water fountain and a big warning sign on the bathroom faucet

We have 2 of the 5 gallon jug ‘fountains’. Water supplier wasn’t keeping up so they started having skids of water bottles delivered.

We’re told not to drink the tap water either, ours is from a well and we’re in an industrial area.

Faceplanted

I didn't say it was a joke. UPS drivers have been working in the heat (and cold) since day one. It wasn't that long ago that UPS didn't even have shorts available for their drivers and you definitely weren't allowed to wear your own. Nothing but long pants you swear were made out of canvas. Now all of a sudden with this last generation everyone has turned soft and wants off for hot days. Work smart, drink PLENTY of liquids and DON"T run and you will survive. Quit being such pansies.
Think about this for a second. When I started we would drive around with the bulkhead door open while doing resis or business parks. I would also “air out” the truck when it got too hot while driving with the bulkhead and back door open. We also did not have Orion telling us to dig for packages. Times have changed old man.

Dr.Brownz

Did they leave your skid of water in a non-AC room, causing it to taste like plastic after a week?

JL 0513

I can't believe the example cited in the case is a 107 degree heat index. I'm in New England and we get such indexes because of our high humidity. In the south, that's just a normal summer day. For Arizona and other pockets, 107 is a cool day in July and August. What does OSHA have to stand on using such a low threshold? You can't shut down all outdoor work for 2-3 months out of the year.

Think about this for a second. When I started we would drive around with the bulkhead door open while doing resis or business parks. I would also “air out” the truck when it got too hot while driving with the bulkhead and back door open. We also did not have Orion telling us to dig for packages. Times have changed old man.
You worked in the 70s too?

Faceplanted

I can't believe the example cited in the case is a 107 degree heat index. I'm in New England and we get such indexes because of our high humidity. In the south, that's just a normal summer day. For Arizona and other pockets, 107 is a cool day in July and August. What does OSHA have to stand on using such a low threshold? You can't shut down all outdoor work for 2-3 months out of the year.
It’s not about shutting down work. It’s about reducing the word load and understanding a drop in performance, as well as make a honest attempt to keep us safe.

JL 0513

It’s not about shutting down work. It’s about reducing the word load and understanding a drop in performance, as well as make a honest attempt to keep us safe.

That's what it should be about but this case with OSHA was simply having mail carriers go out at all. Post office was being fined for being open.

rod

Retired 22 years
It sure has-everyone has gotten soft