OSHA fines post office in Florida $129,336 for exposing mail carriers to August heat

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by OVERBOARD, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Poop Head

Poop Head Officially the most interesting Cardboard Warrior

Run till ya keel over

2. Rack em

Rack em 2018 Brown Cafe Fantasy Football Champion

You better keel over on lunch or else it's stealing time and you will be fired!

3. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I think air conditioning is the reason. You become accustomed to the heat without it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Netsua 3:16

Netsua 3:16 Active Member

Summertime is the best. I can drink a gallon of water and never have to pee. Eat whatever I want cause it just pours out of my sweatglands throughout the next day. No school buses, no school zones, everybody is super nice cause they feel bad we have no ac (I got numerous free drinks from random businesses last summer. Soda Red Bull Gatorade. Good times

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  5. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

My building had a skid of cases of water on hand for a few weeks last summer. Also handed out these water jugs to almost everybody. A couple times they even had 3 large coolers filled with bottles of water on ice at the PCM

EDIT: Then they had the nerve 2-3 weeks after the heat wave to ask why we were over-allowed so much the last ~5 weeks... big heat wave then 12” of rain over 2 weeks requiring a lot of DR bags.

D3A6729D-E344-402D-ABFA-63E476EC69B5.jpeg

6. rod

rod retired and happy

I'm not so sure about that. I've had central air in all my houses since I got married in 71. I even turned them on once or twice.

7. rod

rod retired and happy

First building I worked out of for 8 years didn't even have drinkable water. There was no water fountain and a big warning sign on the bathroom faucet

8. Benben

Benben Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That’s exactly what it is.

Even 10 years ago we rarely had guys having heat related issues. Now it’s a weekly event from June-August

10. Old Man Jingles

Old Man Jingles Rat out of a cage

I believe ya ... seen many tennis players fall out with EMTs pumping saline solution into them.

F:censored2: you @542thruNthru

11. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

We have 2 of the 5 gallon jug ‘fountains’. Water supplier wasn’t keeping up so they started having skids of water bottles delivered.

We’re told not to drink the tap water either, ours is from a well and we’re in an industrial area.

12. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

Think about this for a second. When I started we would drive around with the bulkhead door open while doing resis or business parks. I would also “air out” the truck when it got too hot while driving with the bulkhead and back door open. We also did not have Orion telling us to dig for packages. Times have changed old man.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

D07533A5-4B8F-47FC-B5B6-4A0F1AC17C21.gif

14. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Who has the balls to call OSHA this year when it gets hot?

15. Dr.Brownz

Dr.Brownz Well-Known Member

Did they leave your skid of water in a non-AC room, causing it to taste like plastic after a week?

16. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

I can't believe the example cited in the case is a 107 degree heat index. I'm in New England and we get such indexes because of our high humidity. In the south, that's just a normal summer day. For Arizona and other pockets, 107 is a cool day in July and August. What does OSHA have to stand on using such a low threshold? You can't shut down all outdoor work for 2-3 months out of the year.

17. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

You worked in the 70s too?

18. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

It’s not about shutting down work. It’s about reducing the word load and understanding a drop in performance, as well as make a honest attempt to keep us safe.

19. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

That's what it should be about but this case with OSHA was simply having mail carriers go out at all. Post office was being fined for being open.

20. rod

rod retired and happy

It sure has-everyone has gotten soft