Out to pasture...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This is the way… you just dont know what’s going to happen… we’ve had drivers in pkg and feeder retire and a year later they were gone. One was still officially on the books but taking all his vacation and died..didn’t even collect his first retirement check.
Agreed. I know at least 4 drivers just off the top of my head in my old delivery center went too soon. One guy was planning to go at 60, got stomach cancer at 59 and died that Christmas. Another guy retired at 60 and dropped dead of a massive heart attack barely a year later. You don't know how long you got.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Agreed. I know at least 4 drivers just off the top of my head in my old delivery center went too soon. One guy was planning to go at 60, got stomach cancer at 59 and died that Christmas. Another guy retired at 60 and dropped dead of a massive heart attack barely a year later. You don't know how long you got.
Working here is really like working a job and a half for so many years…IMO making a plan years before you retire is key..then look over that plan again when you’re 4-5 years out from leaving to make sure everything is jiving…then cruise through til the end

Overpaid Union Thug

Working here is really like working a job and a half for so many years…IMO making a plan years before you retire is key..then look over that plan again when you’re 4-5 years out from leaving to make sure everything is jiving…then cruise through til the end

Wow. This thread sure did take a u-turn after starting out so encouraging. LOL

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
This is the way… you just dont know what’s going to happen… we’ve had drivers in pkg and feeder retire and a year later they were gone. One was still officially on the books but taking all his vacation and died..didn’t even collect his first retirement check.

Fund administrators never shed a tear.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I found out early its about pacing yourself. We are so groomed to work with a sense of urgency (Ya right) and now that we are retired we have to use our choices to maximize our daily events. Sometimes Less is More.

Todays choice was: go motorcycling with some buddies. Which I rarely ever/ever pass up.

OR

Work on one of my Hot Rods for a few hours then clean up and grab one of my other rides and go to lunch with some buddies to HRF (Hot Rod Friday) lunch. Usually this time of year 12 to 15 guys show up. GOOD TIMEs.

Todays winner is:
The 57 Ranchero gets to do a few burps thru the gears>> YEE HA

Man ya gotta Love Choices
You have a big shop with all of the toys?? If so you should snap a few pics .. give all of us something look forward to!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
When you look back now that you’re retired, at what point in your career did the years just start flying by??
It flies by when you get real busy. I bid a route which was about 55 hours the last 5 years. . Then spent my off time downsizing around the house and getting everything in order. Buying new appliances , new floor , big purchases while making the big money, paid off house, , getting vehicles all squared away and more. Made the time really fly staying so busy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It flies by when you get real busy. I bid a route which was about 55 hours the last 5 years. . Then spent my off time downsizing around the house and getting everything in order. Buying new appliances , new floor , big purchases while making the big money, paid off house, , getting vehicles all squared away and more. Made the time really fly staying so busy.
Now did you do all this as @Frankie or had you already started to transition into @olroadbeech

Shiftless

You have a big shop with all of the toys?? If so you should snap a few pics .. give all of us something look forward to!
Nope! I wish! Just got a two car garage is where I keep my Hot Rods which I only have two right now. I keep my motorcycles and sidecars in a 24 foot enclosed car hauler. . When I have more than I can handle my Daughter owns a warehouse and I can keep some there, but at the moment everything is at the house. Haven't flipped a car in a year.

Here is the cool part

Got tired of rolling the bikes in and out of the trailer when I pick a car or have to chase something, so I had an All aluminum 24 Jimglo tilt bed made. Friggin coolest open car hauler I have ever owned. One man operation, blue tooth 10K winch, just line up what you want to drag on or sit in the vehicle and steer while it loads its self almost. Stinger rear end that allows you to wrap an axle if needed to tow with out climbing on the deck squeezed under some low hung vehicle, fenders pop off in seconds. Torsion axles pulls like a DREAM! Nose box handles holding way to much of Mac's tow equipment that makes life so much easier.

Really COOL PART!
Trailer is made in a prison in AZ! Gives inmates a skill set for life and they have a 100 % rate of "NO Return to Prison", everyone who has gone thru the process WINS! I got a cool Trailer, I helped provide funds to a company who is putting people who may not have had a fair shake back into the world with a skill set!!

Choices! Ya Gotta LOVE Choices!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No bills. New house, truck, and car. Spending every dime of the SS and Pension. Healthy. Yard is perfect. Wife and kids all good.
I'm grateful and thankful, and I think I'm going out of my mind.
I look at Jagger with amazement. How can you be 79 and still sing Satisfaction for the millionth time like it's your first time?
I watched my father in law after he retired sit in a lazy boy for 35 years staring at a TV before he died. I don't know how he did it.
I'm blowing leaves off the driveway today and the brown truck goes by.
The invisible man syndrome hit me hard today.
Take up bowling. Practice for hours every day. In 6 months go pro!

What do you mean by "yard is perfect"?

rod

Retired 22 years
There ain't enough hours in the day to really enjoy retirement. Don't know how I ever got anything done while working.
That is the way it is for the first 5 or ten years of retirement. After that it settles down when you realize you don't HAVE to do everything.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Take up bowling. Practice for hours every day. In 6 months go pro!

What do you mean by "yard is perfect"?
Landscaping. Even this time year. I’ve done all that can possibly be done.
I think getting up at 9, drinking coffee until noon, not being able to fish, getting dark at 530 the other day, just got to me.
Winters are moderate here, but cold days happen.
No bowling for me. All outside stuff (except golf. just never got into it) .
After writing this, I sound like a spoiled brat.
Holy Hell! I must be going through menopause… when men finally pause and realize… “What your got, ain’t nothin’ new. It all ain’t waitin’ you. That’s vanity.” - Ellis

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Landscaping. Even this time year. I’ve done all that can possibly be done.
I think getting up at 9, drinking coffee until noon, not being able to fish, getting dark at 530 the other day, just got to me.
Winters are moderate here, but cold days happen.
No bowling for me. All outside stuff (except golf. just never got into it) .
After writing this, I sound like a spoiled brat.
Holy Hell! I must be going through menopause… when men finally pause and realize… “What your got, ain’t nothin’ new. It all ain’t waitin’ you. That’s vanity.” - Ellis
And you’re only borrowing it, it’s all gonna belong to someone else one day, all of it.

rod

Retired 22 years
And you’re only borrowing it, it’s all gonna belong to someone else one day, all of it.
You never truly "own" anything. It will all get passed on eventually. The chances of your precious family heirloom staying in the family forever is about ZERO. If your grandkids don't end up selling it or throwing it away I guarantee you their kids will. Great grandpa's Civil War pistol can be pawned for a few bucks so they can get some good weed. You see it all the time on Pawn Stars.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You never truly "own" anything. It will all get passed on eventually. The chances of your precious family heirloom staying in the family forever is about ZERO. If your grandkids don't end up selling it or throwing it away I guarantee you their kids will. Great grandpa's Civil War pistol can be pawned for a few bucks so they can get some good weed. You see it all the time on Pawn Stars.
The older I get the less I care about “stuff”

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Who the hell needs a Civil War pistol? That weed can be priceless.