Over 70’s being disciplined

Oceanview

Are you there to work and earn money? Or file grievances? We have a "few" people like you at our center. Seeing as you have 30-40 grievances to file thats pretty crazy. I have delivered +70 pound packages without an issue, i had to deliver a freaking mini recliner up 3 sets of stairs, man up and deliver the stuff and stop being a rulebook.

Another person who didn’t vote and is a yes man... sorry i go by the book and I expect them to go by the book as well. If I don’t file grievances ups will continue to have supervisors work and not hire the drivers that we need.. I’m not the problem you sheep who are afraid of management are the problem. I’m not worried about having a target on my back I’ll just work safer.. can’t fire someone who plays it by the book. No shortcuts.

Box Ox

So I had an over 70lb package last week that i didn’t attempt I sent a message at 16:15 requesting help for the package. I was told that there was no one to come help me and instructed to use my hand cart. I sent a message saying that I can’t safely put the package on a hand cart. I was told to continue delivering until they found someone. So I let 35mins go by and send another message requesting help on the over 70. I didn’t get a response, so I continued to deliver for another 10 stops out of the 20 I had left. I finally get a message saying to have the customer help me load the package on my hand cart and deliver the package. So I drive to the stop knock on the door and it’s a pregnant women In her 2nd trimester. I askes her if she could help “work as instructed” she laughs and tells me no. I told her I will finished my other 9 stops and come back when Ups sends me help. So I leave and deliver the rest of the packages I have minus the over 70. When I finished my last stop I sent a message asking if they were going to send me help for the package or how they would like me to sheet it up.. I waited 15-20mins for a response but never received one. At this point I decided to bring the package back to the center. I find a steward”witness” and bring him in the office with me and ask how they want it sheeted. I was told to sheet it as missed. Okay awesome. Take my 50 and then punch out.

The next morning I have a posted note Saying for me to find a steward and speak to the center manager. So we go up stairs to talk to the fat doughnut eater and he tells me I could have delivered the package w.o any help. And that he is taking this to panel to have me terminated. No verbal no warning letter just straight panel.. over kill right??

So needless to say I went to deliver the package that day and got hurt.. flipped over my handcart and messed up my left leg. I now have nerve damage from my left knee down. Went to the E.R and everything..

So what grievances can I all file? Law suit maybe?? I’m currently on taw but they have me driving and not doing office work. So I’m basically driving a driver around as he completes his stops.

Btw our center manger was instructed to settle all grievances b4 the new contract goes into affect. I have about 50 or more grievances for supervisors working. About 15-20 grievances for non seniority drivers driving on Monday’s. Also about 30-40 grievances for air drivers delivering ground packages. I feel they are trying to fire me so they don’t have to pay me on these grievances. Not to mention I have 10 grievances for harassment from supervisors and 3 grievances on center manager for harassment.. is there any legal action I can take? Or should I just stop filing grievances?

Any input is welcomed even you jokesters

Since I know this is goin to be asked the package weighed 73.8 lbs (box weight) and labeled said 71lbs and it was a freezer.

Look. Next time all that :censored2: is happening, take a picture with your phone of all messages sent to and from the center about delivery of the over 70. Send it all straight to iCloud.

When your supervisor calls you in the next day to give you :censored2: about it (with your shop steward present) tell him you’ve got a visual record of all communications sent and received on the issue. And you were following the Contract to a T. If he wants to make a case of it, file a harassment grievance.

Management is all about creating paper trails they can use against drivers down the line. Drivers also need to create paper trails on management if warranted.

Box Ox

Are you there to work and earn money? Or file grievances? We have a "few" people like you at our center. Seeing as you have 30-40 grievances to file thats pretty crazy. I have delivered +70 pound packages without an issue, i had to deliver a freaking mini recliner up 3 sets of stairs, man up and deliver the stuff and stop being a rulebook.

I agree with some of this. But bottom line, the employee is being threatened for following the Contract. Can’t let that one go.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!

Your attitude and failure to enforce the contract is why the Union is weak and negotiated a terrible contract.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Do you get paid extra for all that?

JL 0513

I had back surgery 3 years ago and I’m only 28 if the contract says over 70 I can get help I always ask for help.. the buyer paid for 2 people to deliver the package I don’t see the big deal.. just trying to save my body from unnecessary strain.

I know right the irony that i got hurt delivering that package!? Who would have thought it was a possibility?? Ooh wait, I did hence why i asked for help in the first place. You’ve been with ups for 12 years and never filed a grievance? Don’t take this the wrong way but it sounds like you’re a yes man and most likely didn’t vote?? Am I right or am i right?

Sorry to hear you had a back surgery so young. At least you have an excuse. I wonder though if it's the right job for you long term. Do you have to ask for help every over 70? I see at least 5 over 70's on average a day. There's no way I or many of us could get through a day if we had to have help with each one.

I do honestly think you were terminated for your grievance history. Do you really think a guy who had the exact same situation with no grievance history would have been fired? Nothing would have happened. Sure, filing grievances is a nice right to have as a union employee. But they shouldn't be abused. I've never felt the need to file. Trust me it makes my job very smooth.

And yes, I did vote. I would hope someone engaged enough to have over 3,000 posts here would be engaged enough to vote.

sikidiki

Funny thing is im off the radar and getting paid and i love my job. So none of what you guys say bothers me really. I go to work and make an honest living. Also i voted. I also am not afraid to enforce the contract, there is a big difference between being a baby and enforcing the contract, I'm not gonna file a grievance unless i need to, me and my steward have a good relationship and if i have to i will. So before you old farts get your diapers up in a wad, chill out.

Oceanview

Look. Next time all that :censored2: is happening, take a picture with your phone of all messages sent to and from the center about delivery of the over 70. Send it all straight to iCloud.

When your supervisor calls you in the next day to give you :censored2: about it (with your shop steward present) tell him you’ve got a visual record of all communications sent and received on the issue. And you were following the Contract to a T. If he wants to make a case of it, file a harassment grievance.

Management is all about creating paper trails they can use against drivers down the line. Drivers also need to create paper trails on management if warranted.

I take pictures of everything, one time I was almost fired for time theft because I used my phone to take a picture of Diad message recived and messages sent.. the union backed me up and my suspension was taken off my file and I was paid for my day off.

Oceanview

096FCDDC-C15E-482D-8AA1-BCE12405F343.jpeg
69B996A8-C2ED-4ED5-9268-D40417156252.jpeg
067E9409-F2A5-4293-9676-F8A2401B0ADD.jpeg
1ABA9560-ADCC-4B5F-82BF-8C09DFF79BBD.jpeg
7024A5EE-D535-40B0-B168-4FF32A387D44.jpeg
Sorry to hear you had a back surgery so young. At least you have an excuse. I wonder though if it's the right job for you long term. Do you have to ask for help every over 70? I see at least 5 over 70's on average a day. There's no way I or many of us could get through a day if we had to have help with each one.

I do honestly think you were terminated for your grievance history. Do you really think a guy who had the exact same situation with no grievance history would have been fired? Nothing would have happened. Sure, filing grievances is a nice right to have as a union employee. But they shouldn't be abused. I've never felt the need to file. Trust me it makes my job very smooth.

And yes, I did vote. I would hope someone engaged enough to have over 3,000 posts here would be engaged enough to vote.

Thanks man I appreciate it I injured my back when I was 20 by doing deadlifts. I use to work out 2-3 hours a day ever since my back injury I stopped working out and took up cigarettes to help with stress..

I don’t touch over 70 by myself ever.. usually after air they send a driver to help do all my over 70’s. I just missed this particular package that day..

I wasn’t terminated for this, I was told by center manager that this was going straight to panel for my termination.

F

Frankie's Friend

OP, in all seriousness, do you have a physical impairment? I assume you don't, after all, the center manager thought you should be able to do it yourself. ??????

Here's a 123 lb little girl deadlifting 545 lbs for your inspiration.

Evidently he/she has an impairment now.

The lunch/breaks at the EOD is not smart if you have a physical issue ... beside the fact that it screws the "on call" drivers (you know why? Sure you do.) and the company sees that you're weak because they keep loading you with extra work that shouldn't be on you but you suck it up and do it.
20180622_043437.jpg

That pic was sent to me.
It was also a freezer.

No One on hwy9

Same thing happened to me when I told them I was done with all these over 70s. Minus an injury. It’s all about safety of the individual. When hours are long or truck is packed dealing with those things alone is just asking for it. OP, is in the right. If others want to lift them alone, so be it. In my experience most would do what you do, but they don’t have the balls or lack a desire to fight for themselves.

Box Ox

I take pictures of everything, one time I was almost fired for time theft because I used my phone to take a picture of Diad message recived and messages sent.. the union backed me up and my suspension was taken off my file and I was paid for my day off.

That's :censored2:ing baloney. If my center manager threatened me over DIAD pictures I'd tell him to make my day.

I wasn’t terminated for this, I was told by center manager that this was going straight to panel for my termination.

I'd be shocked if your BA didn't didn't laugh the labor manager out of the office if they discuss your case at a local panel.

If your back is permanently effed up or whatever, you might wanna go ahead and get some sort of doctor's note put in your file or disability rating or something established so you're ADA-protected or whatever. I know absolutely nothing about any of that stuff.

Box Ox

Same thing happened to me when I told them I was done with all these over 70s. Minus an injury. It’s all about safety of the individual. When hours are long or truck is packed dealing with those things alone is just asking for it. OP, is in the right. If others want to lift them alone, so be it. In my experience most would do what you do, but they don’t have the balls or lack a desire to fight for themselves.

Yeah, OP was exercising his Contractual rights. Most drivers would rather just do it themselves and get off the clock and home ASAP, though. Both sides are understandable.

WTFm8

I take all my breaks and lunch at end of day unless I’m told I need to go help a driver then I take it after my last stop..

You’re an idiot standing around at work unpaid after your work is completed.

What supplement are you under? What does it say about time you are to take lunch?

JL 0513

In most circumstances, over 70's can be slid, rolled, and so forth across the floor and onto a hand cart. You can usually avoid actually lifting all the weight into the air if you aren't capable.

Oceanview

Evidently he/she has an impairment now.

The lunch/breaks at the EOD is not smart if you have a physical issue ... beside the fact that it screws the "on call" drivers (you know why? Sure you do.) and the company sees that you're weak because they keep loading you with extra work that shouldn't be on you but you suck it up and do it.
View attachment 220000
That pic was sent to me.
It was also a freezer.

I don’t care about extra work I can’t yell you how many times I’ve worked over 60hrs a week.. they just send a supervisor with me and have me be driver helper for 4 hours that way my dot isn’t violated. I’m Also one of the only drivers whose 8hr gets violated..
You’re an idiot standing around at work unpaid after your work is completed.

What supplement are you under? What does it say about time you are to take lunch?

I get paid for my 20 just not my 30.. and if skip out on my lunch and clock out it’ll have more stops the next day and just lost 30mins of pay

I’m local 344

Box Ox

In most circumstances, over 70's can be slid, rolled, and so forth across the floor and onto a hand cart. You can usually avoid actually lifting all the weight into the air if you aren't capable.

Def. But one can always tell their center manager to take it up with the Union in the next Contract negotiation period if they've got a problem with any missed over 70 packages that there was no help available for.

Oceanview

That’s not following the methods.. I follow all the methods

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I’ve been saying it for months now if we want to get the company to knock it off with these ridiculous sized boxes or these 150lbs boxes we all need to start demanding help with delivering them. They’ll be off the car so damn fast and maybe even give a full time job to a young some guys who just deliver iregs in pairs. I’m not Raymour and Flanagan. Today I delivered to one house a queen sized bed set, frame, head board, foot board, two end tables and a dresser. It’s crazy. That’s an over the top pile of grievances to file you’ve got a huge target on your back.