Over 70’s being disciplined

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I knew about the history of UPS weight limits. That's not what I was even talking about in the post he quoted. I merely pondered about the number "70". Like did UPS sit there and carefully study what was "heavy" and what wasn't. 65 lbs wasn't heavy, but 70 was. 75 lbs, "no, that's too heavy to start the heavy range". Who's lifting? 150 lb man? 250 lb man?

Yes, I'm thinking too much. It's just conversation.

Haven't looked in awhile, but the job description for a package car driver used to say capable of lifting up to 70 lbs.

We were at 50.

They wanted more volume.

Don't know why they chose 70. I would have thought 75.

JL 0513

Was 50lbs too heavy? How about 40?

I know that when 50lbs was the limit, I had shippers who would actually break things (tools, in my case) down to be able to ship them. They were pleased at the increase.

I'm sure shipper requests were taken into account before the increase to 150lbs.

I don't even use the handcart for over 70's. It's all relative. Competition is the main reason we're at 150. FedEx went there, and we had to follow.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Food for thought.

We're only required to lift up to 70lbs.

If 2 people are lifting it, that is 140lbs.

Our weight limit is 150lbs.

Who gets the other 10lbs?

Slug Life

When do we eat?
OP, in all seriousness, do you have a physical impairment? I assume you don't, after all, the center manager thought you should be able to do it yourself. Are you required? No. At the same time, a 73 lb pkg shouldn't be any problem for any driver that doesn't have an unusual condition. Even an irregularly shaped one. We all handle 150's by ourselves. Not trying to be mean.

It's also crazy that you ultimately got seriously hurt after all this. Plus you've got a list of grievances a mile long that puts a big target on your back. I've been with UPS 12 years, I've never filed a grievance. Interestingly enough, I'm never bothered.

Here's a 123 lb little girl deadlifting 545 lbs for your inspiration.

12 years and you have never filed a grievance? Come to my center I’ll help you pop that cherry. Unless you are one of those management best boy kinda guy.

Re-Raise

80DFC455-4112-49A5-84BF-6541FB27F33F.jpeg

That is right before the Raptor sticks his head out and eats the driver!!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm surprised they didn't ask why you couldn't lift one end up on the hand cart and slide the package up, then walk/slide the cart out the back of the package car. You mention it was your last stop so there would have been room in the package car to do this. Had this been a small chunk of steel, I wouldn't question the need for help.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Recently lost a good friend/coworker to permanent disability for delivering an over 70. Labeled at around 145lbs but was actually about 250. Blew out his back and had to retire.
He received a good settlement from Liberty Mutual but his back is :censored2:ed up for life. Don't be a hero out there.

wayfair

swollen member
Recently lost a good friend/coworker to permanent disability for delivering an over 70. Labeled at around 145lbs but was actually about 250. Blew out his back and had to retire.
He received a good settlement from Liberty Mutual but his back is :censored2:ed up for life. Don't be a hero out there.

How do you NOT know the difference between 145lb and 250lb???

sorry about your buddy, but seriously..

Oceanview

Reading this multiple times you had two options.
1 Not In’n 3 days in a row
2 Tossed it in the driveway and left.

Yea I wasn’t about to be dishonest by saying not in when in fact I never attempted it. That’s stupid, follow the methods and that’s all I do.

Back first

Yea I wasn’t about to be dishonest by saying not in when in fact I never attempted it. That’s stupid, follow the methods and that’s all I do.
You say you follow the methods but you don’t follow the contract. Taking lunch and breaks at the end of day is just plain stupid.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugarolla you just love me don’t you?? So much needless energy spent on bashing me. I love it.. *Blows Kiss*

Just pointing out all the holes in your "methods."

I want you to understand that if you bury them in grievances and aren't working by the methods or "doing it by the book" as you put it, it's not going to end well for you.

If you think that is bashing you, so be it.