Over 70’s being disciplined

RolloTony Brown Town

So needless to say I went to deliver the package that day and got hurt.. flipped over my handcart and messed up my left leg. I now have nerve damage from my left knee down. Went to the E.R and everything.

To the OP:

I read through every message in this thread. It appears you went through all the proper channels to get assistance with this over 70 on the first day. Whether or not I feel you should be able to deliver it solo is not pertinent. You felt unsafe so you didn’t deliver it. Whatever the reason. Poor training and methods, busting balls, whatever.

Sooo you feel so righteous to follow the contract to the ‘T’ that you’ll file dozens of grievances to make management follow the contract. You don’t think taking your lunch at the proper time matters because no one else does it (I hate the hour lunch but it makes you sound silly because you follow the contract when it works for you but not when it inconveniences you)

Back to my original point though... why did you attempt delivery on THE SAME PACKAGE the next day? You know your limitations enough to not attempt an over 70 AND have the wherewithal to contact the center and ask for help on this Package one day earlier.

assuming you were ACTING IN GOOD FAITH why did you attempt the package?

To me, being as objective as I can as a supervisor at ups. That’s where I feel you messed up. If you took the “over 70 handling” part of the contract seriously, your own safety seriously, then you wouldnt have attempted that package. Period.

Please don’t feed me BS about your manager threatening you. I don’t buy it. If that were true you wouldn’t have filed as many grievances as you claim you have to date.

Back first

I said in the message I wouldn’t ask but I ended up asking because I felt bad that this customer wouldn’t get their package. I figured maybe if i asked I could push it out the truck and him and a friends could bring it inside if I explained the situation to them. Turned out the customer was a pregnant women.
You couldn’t back into the driveway and slide package off the bumper. Cmon man really you are making this job way harder than it needs to be.

IESucks

So I had an over 70lb package last week that i didn’t attempt I sent a message at 16:15 requesting help for the package. I was told that there was no one to come help me and instructed to use my hand cart. I sent a message saying that I can’t safely put the package on a hand cart. I was told to continue delivering until they found someone. So I let 35mins go by and send another message requesting help on the over 70. I didn’t get a response, so I continued to deliver for another 10 stops out of the 20 I had left. I finally get a message saying to have the customer help me load the package on my hand cart and deliver the package. So I drive to the stop knock on the door and it’s a pregnant women In her 2nd trimester. I askes her if she could help “work as instructed” she laughs and tells me no. I told her I will finished my other 9 stops and come back when Ups sends me help. So I leave and deliver the rest of the packages I have minus the over 70. When I finished my last stop I sent a message asking if they were going to send me help for the package or how they would like me to sheet it up.. I waited 15-20mins for a response but never received one. At this point I decided to bring the package back to the center. I find a steward”witness” and bring him in the office with me and ask how they want it sheeted. I was told to sheet it as missed. Okay awesome. Take my 50 and then punch out.

The next morning I have a posted note Saying for me to find a steward and speak to the center manager. So we go up stairs to talk to the fat doughnut eater and he tells me I could have delivered the package w.o any help. And that he is taking this to panel to have me terminated. No verbal no warning letter just straight panel.. over kill right??

So needless to say I went to deliver the package that day and got hurt.. flipped over my handcart and messed up my left leg. I now have nerve damage from my left knee down. Went to the E.R and everything..

So what grievances can I all file? Law suit maybe?? I’m currently on taw but they have me driving and not doing office work. So I’m basically driving a driver around as he completes his stops.

Btw our center manger was instructed to settle all grievances b4 the new contract goes into affect. I have about 50 or more grievances for supervisors working. About 15-20 grievances for non seniority drivers driving on Monday’s. Also about 30-40 grievances for air drivers delivering ground packages. I feel they are trying to fire me so they don’t have to pay me on these grievances. Not to mention I have 10 grievances for harassment from supervisors and 3 grievances on center manager for harassment.. is there any legal action I can take? Or should I just stop filing grievances?

Any input is welcomed even you jokesters

Since I know this is goin to be asked the package weighed 73.8 lbs (box weight) and labeled said 71lbs and it was a freezer.
Although you have a huge target on your back you did everything right. They will find a way to get rid of you anyway and make it miserable for you. Just like you have done to them

RolloTony Brown Town

I was told I was going to be disciplined if I didn’t attempt the package that day..

Im sorry you got hurt. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone but if you take the contract as serious as you’ve previously claimed you wouldn’t have attempted that stop and would’ve told your center manager during said meeting that day. You would’ve cited safety and you would win that fight. I’m confused by your actions because you fight the center management in your building to abide by the contract. You’ve been compensated by those grievances I’m sure. Then you don’t enforce the contract on a safety issue that, in turn, got you hurt.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No driveway.. I love how everyone assumes people have driveways. Also backin into a driveway is a no no smh

I don't blame you for not attempting it by yourself, nor should you have to ask the customer for help. A receiving dock is a little different.

You seem to know the contract.

Be prepared, because this is what the labor manager is going to ask you.

You followed the correct UPS methods and the contract by refusing to deliver it by yourself the previous day. We have your messages stating that you cannot safely deliver it by yourself.

Why did you then, the very next day, disregard UPS methods and contractual language, and try and deliver it by yourself? And don't say that you thought you were going to be disciplined, because you know the contract.

Were you trying to prove a point that you may injure yourself by delivering it by yourself?

But, you did injure yourself by failing to follow the methods. Imagine that.

This could get very ugly. Be careful.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I am really sorry I looked.

Been here a little over a year and have already been terminated once.

I must have mistakenly hit enter on the diad for my 2nd pick up. So with my 2nd metro not on my board i went on to continue to my 3rd pick up with out realizing that I had entered 0 for my second stop. This is what I was told I was fired for.

Well the accident and this missed pick up are to the best of my knowledge the only mistakes I've made. I mean I've missed a call tag once before but that's just about it. Ijs don't I need to be held to The same standard as everyone else? I'm sure @ one point we have all missed a pick up destination.. I know this for a fact.

I'd just like to add that this was not a bulk pick up stop. I came to find out the stop I missed had 2 packages. But I guess it makes it worse because I missed them on a Friday.

I'm just trying to keep my job and keep my head low and keep providing for my family. I don't want back pay I just want to work and have a check each week.

If anyone can guide me through this process I'd sincerely appreciate it

I'm still not working. But I don't care I'm not taking my job back. I'm taking this to arbitration. I'm not gonna have it on my record that I was this suspended for 2-3weeks For sheeting a package closed 10 blocks from the location When I had just seen the receptionist an hour before and knew she wouldn't be there.. Not to mention I have nothing to lose, If all goes bad I can always go back to scaffolding making $30.

I guess my Hub manager has heart problems so I minus well stress his fat a** out or Make him so mad that He collapse.

What's the point of me accepting their job offer if I don't get back pay?? I have carpentry skills and can join the carpenters Union again. So I'm going to take my chances at arbitration

Looks like after I suck UPS drive I can go to amazon or goggle n deliver

I’m dying when I’m off workmans comp I’m going to use lol as my go to response for any unfortunate accidents

Fool i woud have been like the center let’s me down every day.. why not protect yourself? What’s a target on ones back as long as you follow methods??

Great minds think alike.. I went in this morning to see if they had any trainees working and sure enough they did running routes by themselves. There’s 2 grievances for tomorrow. Not offering me work and for having a non seniority driver work over me.. I plan on working 70hrs this week and for weeks to come. This is chess not checkers. I’m ready to call the police on suspicious cars following me as well. Not to mention I won’t be fixing Orion’s mistakes any more. I’ll send my message in at 13:30 pm to ask about business remaining and business saver she if they don’t send me all of my business I will certainly have business failures.

I won’t lie I was only upset cuz i went out the night prior and was out til 4am partying.. but I won’t make that mistake again to think they won’t force the I can work 14hrs a day.. this week I’m prepared for 70hrs

I have a new goal of having the most hours in the district.. I will be 2nd to no one!!
Appreciate it indecisi0n, don’t read what made me go on the watch list.. in the back of your mind remember I suffer from mental illness and my actions falls on society and not my own responsibility.. thanks again :)

Honestly it doesn’t bother me.. I just filed 12 grievances this morning and have 3 more to file tomorrow one for sup taking stops off another driver and 2 for separate air drivers taking stops off another driver.. I just decided im going to bury them in grievances every day since supervisors want to work everyday and have air drivers deliver ground packages..

Thank you so much!!! I just filed another 7 grievances today..

In the last 7 work days I’ve filed over 24 grievances for sups and lower seniority workers working Monday and 3 grievances for harassment

That is very tru about talking behind my back. Just looking for a good strategy to get a cool million from ups. Back to the drawing board.

Thinking I need to become management and take them down from the inside!

RolloTony Brown Town

What a piece of work...

Maybe if he followed his own advice and abided by the contract and followed the methods....

he wouldn’t have been previously fired, he wouldn’t have had discipline threatened by his manager, and most importantly wouldn’t have gotten hurt.

I hope the UPSers that do hope to make this a career learn from this guys very clear mistakes.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
OP, in all seriousness, do you have a physical impairment? I assume you don't, after all, the center manager thought you should be able to do it yourself. Are you required? No. At the same time, a 73 lb pkg shouldn't be any problem for any driver that doesn't have an unusual condition. Even an irregularly shaped one. We all handle 150's by ourselves. Not trying to be mean.

It's also crazy that you ultimately got seriously hurt after all this. Plus you've got a list of grievances a mile long that puts a big target on your back. I've been with UPS 12 years, I've never filed a grievance. Interestingly enough, I'm never bothered.

Here's a 123 lb little girl deadlifting 545 lbs for your inspiration.

Damn.. you know she'd snap your d*ck off with that thing...

Raw

Raw Member
So I had an over 70lb package last week that i didn’t attempt I sent a message at 16:15 requesting help for the package. I was told that there was no one to come help me and instructed to use my hand cart. I sent a message saying that I can’t safely put the package on a hand cart. I was told to continue delivering until they found someone. So I let 35mins go by and send another message requesting help on the over 70. I didn’t get a response, so I continued to deliver for another 10 stops out of the 20 I had left. I finally get a message saying to have the customer help me load the package on my hand cart and deliver the package. So I drive to the stop knock on the door and it’s a pregnant women In her 2nd trimester. I askes her if she could help “work as instructed” she laughs and tells me no. I told her I will finished my other 9 stops and come back when Ups sends me help. So I leave and deliver the rest of the packages I have minus the over 70. When I finished my last stop I sent a message asking if they were going to send me help for the package or how they would like me to sheet it up.. I waited 15-20mins for a response but never received one. At this point I decided to bring the package back to the center. I find a steward”witness” and bring him in the office with me and ask how they want it sheeted. I was told to sheet it as missed. Okay awesome. Take my 50 and then punch out.

The next morning I have a posted note Saying for me to find a steward and speak to the center manager. So we go up stairs to talk to the fat doughnut eater and he tells me I could have delivered the package w.o any help. And that he is taking this to panel to have me terminated. No verbal no warning letter just straight panel.. over kill right??

So needless to say I went to deliver the package that day and got hurt.. flipped over my handcart and messed up my left leg. I now have nerve damage from my left knee down. Went to the E.R and everything..

So what grievances can I all file? Law suit maybe?? I’m currently on taw but they have me driving and not doing office work. So I’m basically driving a driver around as he completes his stops.

Btw our center manger was instructed to settle all grievances b4 the new contract goes into affect. I have about 50 or more grievances for supervisors working. About 15-20 grievances for non seniority drivers driving on Monday’s. Also about 30-40 grievances for air drivers delivering ground packages. I feel they are trying to fire me so they don’t have to pay me on these grievances. Not to mention I have 10 grievances for harassment from supervisors and 3 grievances on center manager for harassment.. is there any legal action I can take? Or should I just stop filing grievances?

Any input is welcomed even you jokesters

Since I know this is goin to be asked the package weighed 73.8 lbs (box weight) and labeled said 71lbs and it was a freezer.
They will blame you for delivering an over 70 without help.

brostalss

This thread is giving me a headache.

Let's not forget why we do this job. To provide a service to our customers.

We work hard and sure it's not for everyone. To not deliver a package just a few pounds over 70? Really? And for a pregnant woman? Perhaps she needs the freezer for her pregnancy.

It's obvious this guy only cares about one thing. His own greater good.

I for one don't feel sorry for your injury and all the mess you have only created for yourself. You brought this upon yourself. Stop thinking about yourself for a change.

Oceanview

My two favorite posts by far by the OP.

Your next scheme to get that cool million from UPS?

Keep that thought in mind.

Yeah i come on here to blow off steam like everyone else big deal. Can I be a little over the top and sarcastic at times? Absolutely I believe the reason for this forum is to blow off steam about the job.. now did i actually think I was going to get hurt? No but I knew it was a possibility due to the way that I’m treated differently then other drivers.. who tells there employee after having a gun waved in there face, not to mention stalked/followed. While on the route. that if they brought the truck back, they would be fired for job abandonment?! So after that incident it made me realize Ups management could care less about my safety. And how do they prove it to me again that they have 0 regards for my safety? They pressured me to do something unsafe and I stood my ground and said no. Only to come in the next day to be told that I’m going to be punished for not attempting the over 70lb package. Not just punished but threatened of being taken straight to panel for my immediate termination.

Since you enjoy looking at my post history. I find it odd that you didn’t attach the post when I was told I had a 10:45pm cut off back in center punched out. I did that and had 20missed stops 40 or so ms packages. I was suspended because I’m allowed to work 14hrs a day even though i argued that I was working as instructed by working 13hrs that day “non peak” and punched out at 10:45 pm. Center manager didn’t care about the messages that were sent that I had photos of.

Hypothetically what do you think would have happened if i worked 14hrs that night?? I know the answer to that one. I would have been fired for not working as instructed By not being punched out by 10:45.. so like I said Damned if I do Damned if I don’t..

So yea I blow off steam and fantasize about getting a large check from ups because they allowed desperate treatment in the work place.

Here’s another example I’m on Taw rn. Aka office work. Well the last 4 Taw drivers were in the office with the pt sups dispatchers etc. what where they wearing? Regular street clothes and shoes. I go in today wearing my work boots and Browns I have a plain grey hoodie over my work shirt I was instructed in front of 100 drivers to take the hoodie off and that I needed to be in proper uniform.. I said okay no problem but how come such and such aka the last 4 guys were able to wear what ever they liked?? We’re not talking about them we’re taking about you. other drivers took to my defense and said yeah it wasn’t a problem when I did it 6months ago its just a hoodie he has everything else on. Told the other drivers “Well he’s not you” I said No it’s fine I get it, it’s cuz I have different pigment then the previous drivers on TAW! I followed that up with a “Thanks to admitting in front of all my peers disparate treatment”.
Btw I had no idea that it was policy that I had to be in uniform after they told me I’ll be on desk duty making phone calls.

So for you to get on here and try to make me look like I’m a problem,kinda gets under my skin. This company has changed my personality in drastic ways. It changed the way I interact with people. So yeah I fantasize about suing Ups for allowing disparate treatment in the workplace after filing grievance after grievance. Countless times speaking to HR about my unfair treatment.

Additionally to me doing office work today and yesterday. they put me in a office all by myself to make phone calls and take phone calls. No other driver had to do that. Drivers came in my lonely office and asked me why I was placed in here all by myself. All my fellow bruthas and sisters are seeing this and even telling me this is some racist bull dong.

I don’t expect you to understand where I’m coming from because I truly believe you’ve never had to encounter someone who is
Discriminate towards you. I’m sure you’ve encountered countless people who don’t like you, but the atmosphere of discrimination is a lot different. I don’t blame you for not understanding, because then you would have to admit to yourself that you were born with a certain advantage.

I’m not saying the world owes me anything! Because it doesn’t! But I should be treated with dignity and respect in the workplace like everyone else.

Sorry for the rant, appreciate anyone who read all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
This thread is giving me a headache.

Let's not forget why we do this job. To provide a service to our customers.

We work hard and sure it's not for everyone. To not deliver a package just a few pounds over 70? Really? And for a pregnant woman? Perhaps she needs the freezer for her pregnancy.

It's obvious this guy only cares about one thing. His own greater good.

I for one don't feel sorry for your injury and all the mess you have only created for yourself. You brought this upon yourself. Stop thinking about yourself for a change.
In all honestly 70lbs really isn't that bad... not trynna sound like Conan the Barbarian but if you cant lift 70 pounds and carry it or carry it with a dolly then I don't know what. Unless it was some awkward size where you couldn't get a good grip on it.

Oceanview

In all honestly 70lbs really isn't that bad... not trynna sound like Conan the Barbarian but if you cant lift 70 pounds and carry it or carry it with a dolly then I don't know what. Unless it was some awkward size where you couldn't get a good grip on it.

To begin with No freezer is meant to be carried by one person. Secondly going up very steep and narrow concrete steps with a dolly is dangerous. And 3rd is the picture below, no one is to ever deliver anything greater than 70lbs on there own.

Attachments

• CA71F0CE-D450-47AD-96FE-12336FEF383B.jpeg
    CA71F0CE-D450-47AD-96FE-12336FEF383B.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 134

km3

To begin with No freezer is meant to be carried by one person. Secondly going up very steep and narrow concrete steps with a dolly is dangerous. And 3rd is the picture below, no one is to ever deliver anything greater than 70lbs on there own.

Exactly. My couch is less than 70 lbs, but it's big and awkward enough that it could take anyone out if they slipped or lost their grip on it or something.

And the line as to what is too heavy for one person to handle had to be drawn somewhere, the company and the union settled on "over 70."

I always ask for help for anything over 70. It's easier for me, being a part-timer inside, since help is always available, but I never handle the over 70s alone knowing that if something happens, management will ask "why didn't you ask for help?"

They berate and harass you for refusing to work unsafely until you get hurt, and then every safety related protocol they hated you for following before becomes their ammunition to, at the very best, make you feel like dirt. At worst, to fire you for being unsafe.

km3

They berate and harass you for refusing to work unsafely until you get hurt, and then every safety related protocol they hated you for following before becomes their ammunition to, at the very best, make you feel like dirt. At worst, to fire you for being unsafe.

And on this note, it would not have surprised me at all if the same manager that said @Oceanview is going to be fired for refusing to handle an over 70 alone the first day, proceeded to yell at him asking him why he didn't send in a message asking for help the next day when he got injured.

Oceanview

And on this note, it would not have surprised me at all if the same manager that said @Oceanview is going to be fired for refusing to handle an over 70 alone the first day, proceeded to yell at him asking him why he didn't send in a message asking for help the next day when he got injured.

I had help with the other over 70’s that day about 30 mins after my injury. But I was told the package was most likely over weighed and was in reality 68lbs so I delivered the package because my boss told me too.

I know someone is going to ask if my boss said to jump off a bridge would I? This is not remotely the same.

Maplewood

My local tells me once you ask for help, never go to the stop until you have bargaining unit help. only exception is if the stop has other packages. As long as you never are overheard by anyone saying you won't deliver over 70's because you're mad about something else you will be just fine. Everything out of your mouth is about safety and possible hazards. I have had over 70's pile up for weeks in my truck, missed every day. On Nov 1, I magicaly get a helper that i really dont need so they dont have to send a driver to hop on with me for an hour+ to trace my route to rid the furniture.