Overpaid

Are full-time drivers overpaid?

• Total voters

UPSIndiana

I hope you had your tongue in your cheek when you made that comment.

Yeah, I think about overpaid everytime I gotta drive thru Chicago rush hour, St Louis, Dallas, etc with a set of doubles.

I think about overpaid everytime I am trying to keep doubles straight when it's snowing 6 inches an hour.

I think about overpaid when temp is hovering around 32-30 and it's raining and you can't tell if it's freezing or not.

I think about overpaid when I'm hauling a few million dollars worth of equipment and cargo to it's destination.

I think about overpaid when I haven't crashed anything here in 29 yrs, saving the company claims.

I think about overpaid when a tire blows and the company has an epiphany and says, "Well, it's only 200 more miles, can't you take it in?"

I ain't paid enough. I take their $5.00 turkey. I take their wallets. I take all their little cheap cookouts. I take all their little handouts.

Quite defensive post. Imho, the drivers aren't paid enough and the feeders are paid too much. Of course, the feeder drivers usually worked pretty hard to get where they're at. Some feeder drivers tend to look down on delivery drivers and that just pisses me off.

Who is really overpaid? Pilots and the upper management people getting 50-250% bonuses every year.

Zeus70

You must be managment. Train a chimp to do my job! good luck I'd like to see you do it in the time they say its (supposed) to be done in.

Zeus70

You must be managment. Train a chimp to do my job! good luck I'd like to see you do it in the time they say its (supposed) to be done in.

Hoser was right. I wasn't saying that all UPS drivers are uneducated. I meant the job has low educational requirements.
The wages have nothing to do with hard work or accountability. It's all organized labor. I do understand how hard you drivers work, and I may have worded things a bit harshly. But I have seen firsthand exactly what you guys do. I helped out with driver helper last year. Tough job? You bet. But I would feel I was fairly compensated if I got $50 to do it. 60 to 70 is more than fair. Sure, long hours, wear on the body, etc. But the fact remains, anybody who can drive a truck could do it. Not saying they could do it as well as some of you guys, but the fact remains, anybody could do it.

Most jobs that pay $70K require some sort of special skill, education or experience. That's all I am saying. I absolutely will not take seriously any driver who thinks they are underpaid. The argument can be made that the rate is either fair or slightly high.

I don't think any of you guys would admit to being overpaid even if you really thought you were! It's simply not human nature to admit to oneself that they are overcompensated.

You make ~$70,000 a year to drive a truck and pick up/deliver packages. Sure, there is a lot of pressure put on you guys by management, but that's how it goes. It isn't management's job to let an uneducated blue collar workforce skate by without driving them for results.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you guys are overpaid by much. It's not an easy job, but in the end it is still a job you could train a chimp to do. Not as well as you guys, to be sure, but a chimp could do it nonetheless.

In summary: Drivers are more than adequately paid, and it is their high wage that takes the sole blame for all the ridiculous demands management places on them. Next contract I don't think raises in the dollar range are necessary for full time employees.

I don't see the point of this poll, as a large chunk of people here are UPS drivers, are any of them really going to say, "yeah, i'm overpaid!"? But I am sure Hoffa wants to make sure you guys are well paid now so you pay less attention to the REAMSTERS and CS letting your pension fund disappear :thumbup1: