Overworked?

34yearpackagehumper

I am afraid if you signup as a driver with UPS either package or feeder you are in for long hours. That did not just start since the pandemic .I started as a pc driver in 1978 and it was the same when I retired in 2012. It is NOT 9 a 9 to 5 ! Back in the day a 50 to 55 hour week was normal . Thank God for a good Wife,when I got home most nights my kids were already in bed.The trade off was the $ bill , they did not want for anything . I get what the drivers in Jacksonville are up against, you complain enough they will take some stops off of you. But somehow another you look around and that stop count comes creeping back up. It does not help when your BA seems to be in bed with management . They might be fighting a loosing battle .

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I don't know what they signed up for in Jacksonville but I know when I signed up long hours and a crappy schedule was part of the deal. I guess that might be different elsewhere. Its a toss up of family or money I dont think you can have both working here.
Long hours are part of the deal. But 6 days a week year round is not. Labor unions are supposed to protect our right to a reasonable workweek as well as a reasonable paycheck. I’m not complaining about the OT because I’m new. But some of the senior drivers just look exhausted.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know what they signed up for in Jacksonville but I know when I signed up long hours and a crappy schedule was part of the deal. I guess that might be different elsewhere. Its a toss up of family or money I dont think you can have both working here.
That’s exactly the attitude they want. Oh I signed up for it.

That’s not the way it has to be though.

imsolazy

Long hours are part of the deal. But 6 days a week year round is not. Labor unions are supposed to protect our right to a reasonable workweek as well as a reasonable paycheck. I’m not complaining about the OT because I’m new. But some of the senior drivers just look exhausted.
Other labor unions might do that i'm not sure what this one does

Spanky250

Other labor unions might do that i'm not sure what this one does
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the benefits and pay the union has negotiated for us. But at least around here, the union stooges only look after themselves. I actually was so furious over the unions handling of an issue I had many years ago that I withdrew from the union for about a year. They just acted like they couldn't give two friend:censored2:s about the company flagrantly violating seniority rules.

imsolazy

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the benefits and pay the union has negotiated for us. But at least around here, the union stooges only look after themselves. I actually was so furious over the unions handling of an issue I had many years ago that I withdrew from the union for about a year. They just acted like they couldn't give two friend*s about the company flagrantly violating seniority rules.
Ya I consider them a necessary evil. The only way I know that this place is union is from when I look at my paycheck and see the dues deducted or when my BA is running for election other than that you wouldn't even know that this place is a union shop.

MethodsMan

Do you work 6 days a week?

Didn’t think so

Dr.Brownz

Screen_Shot_2019-06-05_at_1.26.32_PM.jpg

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I am afraid if you signup as a driver with UPS either package or feeder you are in for long hours. That did not just start since the pandemic .I started as a pc driver in 1978 and it was the same when I retired in 2012. It is NOT 9 a 9 to 5 ! Back in the day a 50 to 55 hour week was normal . Thank God for a good Wife,when I got home most nights my kids were already in bed.The trade off was the $ bill , they did not want for anything . I get what the drivers in Jacksonville are up against, you complain enough they will take some stops off of you. But somehow another you look around and that stop count comes creeping back up. It does not help when your BA seems to be in bed with management . They might be fighting a loosing battle .
Nailed it ,, I get it , but , that's our generation , these newer millennial crybabies want everything their way ,, you know , the I need AC crowd , and my GPS in my DIADS not working properly ,, give them a map , send them out on the blind on a hot summer day with long pants and COD money in pocket soaked in sweat ! They may change their tune !!

Indecisi0n

Sometimes people don’t realize what they have until they lose it ? Does the job suck, yes but are you compensated for the suck? We are. If you hate it that much than leave. I’ve walked away from two Fortune 500 companies because I didn’t like the job. I almost walked away from UPS until I found feeders. Now I am happy. Was it easy to get where I am now ? No. Does anyone really care? No. Suck it up like a man and do what your heart tells you to do.
The most depressing thought is you staying in a position for 20+ years and being miserable for a quarter of your life . That to me isn’t worth any amount of money.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sometimes people don’t realize what they have until they lose it ? Does the job suck, yes but are you compensated for the suck? We are. If you hate it that much than leave. I’ve walked away from two Fortune 500 companies because I didn’t like the job. I almost walked away from UPS until I found feeders. Now I am happy. Was it easy to get where I am now ? No. Does anyone really care? No. Suck it up like a man and do what your heart tells you to do.
The most depressing thought is you staying in a position for 20+ years and being miserable for a quarter of your life . That to me isn’t worth any amount of money.
Not your normal post. You better eat a Snickers. You aren't you.................

Heavy Package

Just my viewpoint here as a FT Top Rate Bid Route driver....

The mandatory 6-day work weeks year round are too much given the physical nature of this job. Every Thursday the Diad message goes out to XX Number of drivers that reporting is mandatory for Saturday. Where I am at 22.4 has done literally nothing to alleviate OT. Then there are the inside "PT" employees who are working 6-days, 7 hours per shift for a total of more than 40 hrs a week, every week. There is nothing to change that situation.

Other than the usual answers of 9.5 lists, working at a normal pace, and grievance procedures, there is little that can be done. My point is to add this as a key issue for the next contract, along with our other list of priorities. With H&H out, a new leadership team needs to take notice and make changes for 2023.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
I'm all weepy now.

tenor.gif

JL 0513

Millions of people who lost their livelihoods this past year are super sad to hear about the poor UPS man making 6 figures and doing better than ever during the pandemic. 😭