P/T Sup. pay rate

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
First, I don't wanna hear about how it's my fault for switching to the dark side or anything of that matter. I wanna know if there is a union equivalent for management as far as helping us when there is an issue with the company.
I have been working at UPS for over 9 years and am getting paid the same amount each week as these new supervisors that have been here for less than 6 months. This is due to me switching after being an hourly for like 7 years (stupid, I know).
I was getting paid about $15.34 an hour before I switched and at the time, p/t supervisors started at $15. Since I was already making the starting pay rate for PT supervisors, I only got a 10% pay bump which had me at a little less than $17 an hour. I became a PT supervisor on April 20, 2015.
Fast forward to a few months ago when an employee that got hired this last peak season decided to become a supervisor. That's fine and dandy, but I guess they start at $17 an hour now. Come to find out, this supervisor gets paid about the same amount as me every week, and that's only because UPS just started taking money for medical.
Before that, like right after becoming a supervisor, this person was making more than me every week by over $20. And the only thing getting taken out of my check is for medical and $3 for United Way.
Now, tell me how in the hell this is possible or even morally right that someone I have almost a decade over gets paid the same amount as me? Mind you, I work way too hard for my own good to get paid the same as someone that honestly does not care that much about doing their best and providing results.
I can't help it. No matter what the job is, whether they screw me or not, I can never go through with myself saying "friend it" and do a crappy job. I always strive to be the best. What should I do?
One more thing. I am waiting for the 6 to 1 opportunity for me to go driving. There are 2 more full time drivers that I am waiting for to pass probation. That is the only reason why I have not been making a big deal about it. But when I see people doing the bare minimum and getting paid the same as me, when I put my blood, sweat, and tears into my work, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry for the long story.

It's your fault for switching to the dark side

542thruNthru

First, I don't wanna hear about how it's my fault for switching to the dark side or anything of that matter. I wanna know if there is a union equivalent for management as far as helping us when there is an issue with the company.
I have been working at UPS for over 9 years and am getting paid the same amount each week as these new supervisors that have been here for less than 6 months. This is due to me switching after being an hourly for like 7 years (stupid, I know).
I was getting paid about $15.34 an hour before I switched and at the time, p/t supervisors started at $15. Since I was already making the starting pay rate for PT supervisors, I only got a 10% pay bump which had me at a little less than $17 an hour. I became a PT supervisor on April 20, 2015.
Fast forward to a few months ago when an employee that got hired this last peak season decided to become a supervisor. That's fine and dandy, but I guess they start at $17 an hour now. Come to find out, this supervisor gets paid about the same amount as me every week, and that's only because UPS just started taking money for medical.
Before that, like right after becoming a supervisor, this person was making more than me every week by over $20. And the only thing getting taken out of my check is for medical and $3 for United Way.
Now, tell me how in the hell this is possible or even morally right that someone I have almost a decade over gets paid the same amount as me? Mind you, I work way too hard for my own good to get paid the same as someone that honestly does not care that much about doing their best and providing results.
I can't help it. No matter what the job is, whether they screw me or not, I can never go through with myself saying "friend it" and do a crappy job. I always strive to be the best. What should I do?
One more thing. I am waiting for the 6 to 1 opportunity for me to go driving. There are 2 more full time drivers that I am waiting for to pass probation. That is the only reason why I have not been making a big deal about it. But when I see people doing the bare minimum and getting paid the same as me, when I put my blood, sweat, and tears into my work, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry for the long story.

Think about it! Why should they give you a raise? You're the same as a PT loader in UPS eyes. You're easily replaced! Only reason PT loaders get raises is because of the contract.

You've also expressed interest in leaving for driving. They know you're soon to be on your way out no matter what. Why pay you more when they can milk you for everything your worth at a lower pay.

Good luck man. I say quit and find another job.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

giphy (24).gif

Faceplanted

Never ever blow!!!! I also am gonna wager you used the public defender.

If you would have just refused, in my state your license automatically gets suspended for a year, but that's much much better than a dui on your record.

Re-Raise

I don't think I can do anything about this....did you try calling 1-800-pick-ups?

JustAnotherSup

There's literally nothing you can do other than continue at your current pay rate or quit.

Starting pay for PT supervisors does not make much sense at UPS in terms of paying people appropriately for their work and performance. It does make sense terms of warding off any possible lawsuit involving PT supervisor pay variances that might allege unlawful discrimination.

PT supervisor pay doesn't seem to scale properly with previous work experience, education, et cetera. If the starting pay for a position is $14.85, some guy with no college and no previous work experience is going start at $14.85. Another guy with a college degree and previous (non-UPS) work experience is going to start at $14.85. There will be no negotiation.

For a PT supervisor, your raises will not be very good; you can expect them to mostly keep up with inflation. They can occur at 6 months since starting, and then every year, based on your performance evaluation. Getting a raise outside of the predetermined cycle will never happen.

Getting a raise because they just bumped the starting salary up to what you're currently making, and you have several years experience as a PT supervisor with solid performance (or better), will never happen.

JustQuit

I just can't fathom the reasoning or justification of a part time supervisor with less than 6 months the gets paid the same amount as a part time supervisor that has over 9 years. Even my bosses said there's something wrong with that but didn't have a good explanation as to how that's possible.

Box Ox

I just can't fathom the reasoning or justification of a part time supervisor with less than 6 months the gets paid the same amount as a part time supervisor that has over 9 years

Because they can still get suckers to sign up under the existing policy.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I just can't fathom the reasoning or justification of a part time supervisor with less than 6 months the gets paid the same amount as a part time supervisor that has over 9 years. Even my bosses said there's something wrong with that but didn't have a good explanation as to how that's possible.

I was a part time supervisor in the 90's.
Raises were given after your performance review.
The preload manager had a certain amount he could divvy up and it was at his discretion.
He would give more to the ones he liked, less or none to the ones he didn't.
We were told not to divulge our raise to anyone because it will lead to bad feelings.

Yet, you're here after 9 years wondering where's yours ?????
You obviously haven't gotten the message.

JL 0513

Did you know a 30 year driver makes the exact same hourly rate as a 4 year driver? Only difference is vacation time and the route and other seniority related benefits (vacation picks, days off, etc..)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you know a 30 year driver makes the exact same hourly rate as a 4 year driver? Only difference is vacation time and the route and other seniority related benefits (vacation picks, days off, etc..)

Drivers with 25 years of more of service get to park closer to the building where I work.