P/T Sups - No Overtime?

W

westsideworma

Unfortunately, I usually work more hours than he does. I usually come in before him and leave after him every day. He used to say a lot of sexual comments to me until I freaked out on him enough that I threatened to go to a lawyer. Now he doesn't say anything sexual to me anymore but he does find time out of his day, everyday, to call me up to his office to yell at me about something he has made up for the day. Today it was that and that I was doing homework on the job. Which is soooo untrue! It's sad, I was hoping working in a male dominated environment I wouldn't have to deal with the baby drama, but its the worst of any jobs I've ever had! Everyday something gets brought up to cause a fight between someone, it seems to just please my boss. Either I am babying my clerks or the next day I'm not spending enough time on the floor...ect, ect, ect. It's driving me insane! Is it like this everywhere? :knockedout:

This guy needs to be fired, that wouldn't fly here. Go to HR and tell them, if they don't care, go higher. No one should feel uncomfortable at work. Your "boss" is supposed to set an example, but maybe he feels he is. He may feel you should harass your employees too, wouldn't surprise me. Our manager is always telling us to get on our employees for having a misload when they're loading 1400+ pieces (woohoo peak) in 5 hours. I laugh. I would like to see him load 280+ pph and have no misloads, everyday. Hell I'd be amazed if he could even load 280pph. I like the guy but some of the things he says/expects are pipe dreams.

trixie

wow it's the same everywhere isn't it? No matter what MAKE YOUR HOURS ACCURATE IN PTRS. I've seen people fired for "falsifying records" by not recording hours worked. It's a matter of what or who they want to get rid of. Print screen your time card summary and keep it on file AT HOME. There is no good argument they can come up with for not recording your time correctly. I would leave at 5.5 or tell them you're at 5.5 and let them decide whether you go or stay. I can't even believe anyone would consider working for free after all they've done recently to screw us. By the way is anyone willing to say how much they make? I'm female and I think I'm getting screwed.

trixie

Until Jan 1 premium pay from 5.5 up to 8 hours is 1.1 times your hourly rate (not much of a premium). Beyond 8 hrs is 1.5 times your hourly rate.

trixie

I work in the north central region. I hate to say anything else beyond that. I think the guys in the same position as me make more but I've been doing it longer. Anyone know what the starting pay for a p/t supe is now?

rocket man

IM Sorry but you picked pt sup postion I hope you work 60 hrs and get paid for 30 get a lawyer nothing will happen. it will take you 5 years.

705red

Browncafe Steward
But they should get paid for all hours worked like any other employee! What is this walmart that we are talking about?

I would call 1 800 220 4126 anonymous and have others call to. You have rights, and if this doesnt work maybe we can unionize you guys and gals to!

brownrodster

Quit being a "winy bitch":wink2: Just kidding- I would think in this day and age management would refrain from using the B word. It could get costly

That's why I could never been in management. If someone talked to me like that it's on. I can't bend over and take it. PT sup is the worst position at UPS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I put it for it yesterday and it was approved. I always keep track of my hours during peak. I don't trust them to do the right thing anymore...

These words are from a supervisor at UPS.

Anyone who has doubts about the benefits of union representation needs to take a long hard look at how UPS treats its own management people before they whine about having to pay union dues.

I thought only WalMart did this type of crap. Its sad to see that mentality creeping into UPS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Here is a suggestion; if you are being instructed to falsify your timecard by a superior, then agree to do so as long as you can get those instructions in writing, with the signiature of the person giving those instructions. Until you get it in writing, just record it properly and let the chips fall where they may. In this day and age of lawsuits, even a sup with no union representation would be able to sue UPS and win.

Channahon

I'm going out on a limb here, being gone for about 4 years, but did spend 28 peak seasons at UPS. And every peak season, part time sups that were available to double shift or work overtime, were given the opportunity. And I also know, a lot of part time sups counted on the extra money for the holiday season.

Unfortunately, take a look at the newspapers, read about the recession that was just confirmed today, look around at all the store closings, bankruptcies, massive layoffs, and the economy in general.

UPS for the first time I can remember, did not project Peak volume, as there probably won't be any this year. Volume dictates stafffing needs and hours, simple as that.

I'm sure this is not what any UPS employee wants to hear, but that is the reality of today's economic environment.

Drivers, try not to lay too much hate on the PT Supes posting here. In my experience, the PT Supes were the only ones who really gave a damn about trying to improve your day-to-day load quality. The FT Preload Supes and Preload manager don't give a damn. When your center manager pushes them on load quality and misloads, they push back on AM time and send-agains. Since no one wants to take that fight to the DM's office, nothing gets done.

Your PT Supe is the one who knows about the loaders' girlfriend, child support, community college, and car repair problems. Your PT Supe is the one who tries to keep kids in a $9.50/hour job when they could leave UPS. Your PT Supe will be loading eight trucks from two cages when that employee leaves. The job sucks, the money's not worth it, but it is damn good work experience.

A good relationship with your PT Supe is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for you getting decent load quality from preload. Your PT Supe probably has received no training from their FT'ers. That's just the way it is.

To the PT Supes:

Every manger who is struggling gets the conference call beating. It goes something like this (simplified version): "What's so difficult? The bottom line is that you're not controlling your operation. Look at your X from last week. That's unacceptable. You need to have zero X for the next month."

Your preload manager got the PTRS overtime lecture. These sorts of things only happen when a manager is already on the :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: list. The successful managers are given a little leeway to run their operation. The manager of a preload that's hitting its PKG plan and its misload run rate does not have a zero-tolerance PTRS overtime limit.

Your manager is struggling. He may be on a 30-60-90. Either way, his boss is looking to fire/demote/transfer him. Your manager has made the gamble that he can get you to falsify your time cards, and then bully you into keeping it hidden. Your manager is desperate, but he's 20-years into his career and knows he's stuck at UPS for life. He is screwing you over to save his ass.

If your manager's manager was aware of this, your manager would be fired. You have the power in this situation. Don't be insubordinate. Don't be pushy. Don't falsify your records. Ask for a coach/counsel on how you are to manage your operation during the 5.5 hour daily allotment. Get clarification whether or not you are required to punch out of PTRS at 5.5 hours. Starting taking home a print screen of your time card every Friday.

Have this conversation in the presence of your immediate FT Supe and his/her Preload manager. You're covering your bases.

I've never seen anyone in UPS managment terminated for performance (they do get demoted, though). I have seen several terminated for dishonesty. Someone is giving your manager enough rope to hang himself with.

Thanks for the responses, at least those who know where we are coming from and not drivers who have no clue. Anyway, the problem with talking to the DM about it is our DM is officed in our building, and was CC'd on the message we all recieved so he's well aware. After having a PT Sup pow-wow we all agreed to just work 5.5 and leave. We refuse to work for free especially as mentioned right above me, a lot of us are younger, and rely on this time of year for holiday money, expenses, etc. It also seems like the answer they want is to have us incorporate a staggered start, which would suck for the guys stuck on the line by themselves at 8:30, 8:45 trying to get everyone wrapped. I guess it is what it is. There is talk OT will be allowed in the final week or 2 of peak, but either way you can bet I will be, and the others here, will be documenting anything over 5.5.

And what you said above, about pre-load manager being 20 years in, ass on the line, beat-down every day......right on the money.

But they should get paid for all hours worked like any other employee! What is this walmart that we are talking about?

I would call 1 800 220 4126 anonymous and have others call to. You have rights, and if this doesnt work maybe we can unionize you guys and gals to!

They do, it's called salary. Which they agree to going in.

They do, it's called salary. Which they agree to going in.

If it's salary, then why do they record their hours in PTRS and get hell if they report more than 5.5? If they were truly salary they wouldn't be using PTRS. To my knowledge, FT sups and managers don't enter their hours into PTRS or any other payroll system and both of those jobs ARE salaried. Scenarios described in this thread are precisely the reason why PTRS is in place.

pkg handler

well i usually go early for peak of course if i want if not then my regular time. if i go in say 2 or 3 im paid from 2 or 3 to whenever im done most likely 945 ..so thats about 7 hrs average out a day during peak all paid for.. but thats just around here i guess and im sure some other places

We are supposed to be paid hourly and starting at the beginning of the year we are completely paid hourly with no extra time given to us if we don't work 5.5. Which I think is a good thing, personally I have never worked a day under 5.5 and I get it thrown in my face everyday that "Well in the summer everyone is working 4 hours so you owe it to us" because that just isn't true. If I was salary than I wouldn't be complaining, I also wouldn't be complaining if I was making the 80-90 grand a year the full time sups are making but I am making around 20 a year and with the hours I put in and don't get paid for it sucks. :dissapointed:

KidUPS

Log your hours. Period. Log your hours. When I first started I as a supervisor I was so worried about getting in trouble that I always get my hours at just a tad under 27.5. Even though there were weeks where I was putting in nearly 35. Eventually I just spoke with my lead and explained I was going to make every attempt to watch my hours but was going to have to log my hours according to what I worked. I explained that I was not looking to dabble around doing nothing...as he would get phone calls or e-mails from me from 5pm to 12pm still helping to finish up the operation or following up with reports.

You have to communicate that you are not looking to take from the company...and that you are willing to put yourself out there for this company...but you are not willing to be cheated by this company.