P57's?

Chnandler Bong

"We have 25-30 P57's at my building, we have pretty much mothballed all the old 500's (and good riddance!), though I'm sure we will use some at peak."

They're not mothballed.....they are sending them to our center. The P5 I drove recently had over 850,000 miles on it. But it had a new engine in it, so i guess that makes it ok....whatever. I just hope to be assigned a truck with power steering before I retire in the next 15 years.

Last edited:

VTBrown

Reading most of these.....

The P700 "used" to be my favorite. They are crap. They don't hold up to the abuse of rural VT driving.

Dirt wash boarded hills.....and thanks to the oil pan the front axle is like 6 inches off of the ground. Great for rocky driveways and snow plowing when you need traction.

The new V8 1000's are very nice. Plenty plenty of power, auto's and power steering. Though.....we had one with 22,000 on it just lose it's turbo.

khanawalt

KennyH
A co-worker got a gas-powered Workhorse P57 last year, he likes it. I got a diesel P57 a couple of weeks ago. I left the center a total of four times, only returned twice, both times road-called since it belched all the motor oil out. It's been gone for warranty work for a week now, and they seem to think it's okay to send me out in a P7 for 275 miles with 45 stops. That thing kicks my butt on those nasty CO rural mountain roads.

The wipers weren't wired correctly so they only worked on high, didn't park, no intermittent. Hope they fix that while they've got it. Turning radius is amazing though. And they're a lot quieter than a P7 so I can hear my radio at least.

I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow, but I'll believe that when I see it.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Hey khanawalt, how did you get that pic of me running like mad hell from the large angry german shepard I discovered in a customers back yard in October?

old brown shoe

30 year driver
We had some of the diesel p57's They were towed back to the building more than they were drove back. All were sent back and replaced with gas p57's and we have had much better luck with them. They turn nice, have good power but suck the dust in bad. Ours have dual rear wheels and don't do to bad in the snow but I hate putting chains on duals.

ol'browneye

I'm curious, how tall are the Workhorse P57s. My route goes out in a 700 which is too big and a 500 is too small.
I have a brand new Workhorse P57. The sticker inside says 9'11" My P57 has only 45xx miles on it. It really gets up and goes with the Chevy Vortec 4.8L v-8. And the previous comment about turning radius is right on, almost as if on a hinge! The power steering and auto transmission are really nice! We have had some snow here in Missouri lately and I have been able to go places I wouldn't have tried with the old P500. The overall length is about 3ft. longer than a P5 with the cargo area about 12-18" longer. It is also about 3" wider. One annoying thing is that you can't leave the parking lights on with the engine off or it will constantly beep at you and when you turn the engine on it beeps for about 10-15 seconds every frickin' time! We are all supposed to get new trucks here. Something to be aware of though...has anyone else noticed a wire and sensor on the bulkhead door and the seatbelt? Is the on-board computer going to tell them how long we were in the back selecting a pkg or if we were driving with the bulkhead door open or our seatbelt off(not that I condone that). And I hear the new diad holders will have a sensor to tell how often you pull it out to look at it even while driving.(you know we've all done that) It will also be set up to tell how often/long you back up and how hard you hit the brakes. Looks like they will have their eyes on us even when they aren't watching us! These new P57's are nice but with all the technology on them they could be a trojan horse!

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Our mechanic unhooked the beeper so you could leave your lights on without it driving you nuts. He also showed me where he could look to see the maximum speed you have gone in the truck.

The GPS technology is going to be enhanced to real time in the near(if not already in some areas) future also. They will be able to set and watch the dots for the whole center or zoom in on an individual Who said the company is becoming micro-managed? Naaaaaw, don't believe it.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
It seems funny now rereading this thread that I started many months ago. I was super-excited when I heard we were getting a couple of brand-new P57's but, alas, that has not been the case. It seems as though UPS in all their wisdom decided to send us a couple of P57's that run on propane fuel. And hey, guess what, those things do not run when it's -30 degrees outside because the propane gas solidifies when it gets that cold. So, we get to stare lovingly at them everyday on our way to work as they sit gathering dust at the service centre which is a couple of blocks down the road, where they've sat now for three months.

Ah, the genius' we work for.

MD Dan

The P57's in our building are freightliners with a 4 cylinder Turbodiesel. Scary slow pulling from a stop into traffic. OK once the RPM's build. Single rear wheels. Awful in the snow.--I'd rather drive a P500

thom1842

At my gateway we don't have any of the 57's (which if I am reading right are the sprinters with the box on back) but have about 25 of the p47s which is just the standard Sprinter shape. I love driving them, especially because the other option is the old p500s with manual everything. I don't mind the manual transmission, but the lack of power steering gets old after a couple stops.

Anyway a few weeks ago one of the EAM drivers, who always fill the gas tanks for us OCA folks in the PM, put unleaded gasoline into the engine instead of the diesel it's supposed to take. The mechanics weren't very happy with that driver, but his punishment was that he had to take the p500s for the rest of the week.