package car design

barnyard

KTM rider
Are the control packages specced or does the builder just do whatever, because that is what they do??

Example, the 4 way switch on package cars. My current wagon, it is tucked on top of the steering column. It is very hard to see and harder to reach. Frequently, I push it and it does not turn on or off. Plus, since I am fairly tall, the steering wheel blocks the flashing arrows on the dash. It takes a serious amount of effort to turn them on, as a result, they are either on for hours at a time or off for hours at a time.

All of my personal vehicles have a button on the dash, in clear view. I push it and it flashes so that I know the 4-ways are on. Why can't we have that on package cars??

The parking brake is almost as bad. It is an end-range motion that I set 150+ times a day. For 3 glorious years, I ran a route that had a Ford with the electronic parking brake. It was easy to set and it held.

And as nice as an auto trans is, does it really have to be an end-range motion that is that difficult to complete??

I see in the upcoming contract that feeders can put extensions on their shifters. Is there anything that we can do to make our cars just a little more user friendly??

ManInBrown

Are the control packages specced or does the builder just do whatever, because that is what they do??

Example, the 4 way switch on package cars. My current wagon, it is tucked on top of the steering column. It is very hard to see and harder to reach. Frequently, I push it and it does not turn on or off. Plus, since I am fairly tall, the steering wheel blocks the flashing arrows on the dash. It takes a serious amount of effort to turn them on, as a result, they are either on for hours at a time or off for hours at a time.

All of my personal vehicles have a button on the dash, in clear view. I push it and it flashes so that I know the 4-ways are on. Why can't we have that on package cars??

The parking brake is almost as bad. It is an end-range motion that I set 150+ times a day. For 3 glorious years, I ran a route that had a Ford with the electronic parking brake. It was easy to set and it held.

And as nice as an auto trans is, does it really have to be an end-range motion that is that difficult to complete??

I see in the upcoming contract that feeders can put extensions on their shifters. Is there anything that we can do to make our cars just a little more user friendly??
The last 3 years I was in package I didn’t apply my parking brake once, the only exception being when I got OJS’d or my annual safety ride. The location of the E brake is surefire guaranteed shoulder surgery. I also adjusted my mirror arm so it never had to be pulled in. I pulled the arm in all the way, and then adjusted the mirror so it was in the correct spot.

9.5er

It is ridiculous that the hand brake is so far out of reach. I only use it on trucks that have that obnoxiously loud beeping. How about the drip edge over the doors. They stop about half an inch before the door jam so all the rain runs down the edge and all over your left leg. So aggravating.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh

The need to get of rid the shift inhibit, it is killing me

Hroller

The 4-way flashers on top of the steering column...a joke!
Can't see the flashers blinking on same car....really?
Break your back and shoulder to pull the park brake? C'mon!
Shift inhibit? OMG. Did a quick three point turnaround on a busy road. Damn thing kicked in. I couldn't move. Traffic in both directions had to stop....one driver didn't! Ouch.
Hope there was no injury....I got the hell out!

gorilla75jdw

Where did you see that feeders can put extensions on their shifters at ? Article please .

GenericUsername

I prefer the PCs that have the four way thing that you pull from under the directional lever. You could also theoretically tie something to your e-brake and tie the other end off on the handle on your driver side to just tug up on instead of leaning all the way down you lazy Fs...

barnyard

KTM rider
I prefer the PCs that have the four way thing that you pull from under the directional lever.

The old Fords with the ebrake had the really short signal stalks and the flasher was easy to pull out. Plus, it was easy to see the instruments past the steering wheel. I am not sure who these new PCs are made for, but it is not anyone over 6'3".

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
The need to get of rid the shift inhibit, it is killing me

Odd thing about that is it’s only certain trucks, we may be able to disable the “feature” in the Allison software. I will give it a shot when I get a chance

Even just pulling the car out of the line for service it annoys the hell out of me, I feel for you guys that have it enabled.

DriverNerd

How about the drip edge over the doors. They stop about half an inch before the door jam so all the rain runs down the edge and all over your left leg. So aggravating.

I just use a bunch of tape and close the gap/make a channel for the water. Now it runs down the door, not on me. Been doing that for a few years. We also have cold winters here, so I only need it taped for half the year.

9.5er

I just use a bunch of tape and close the gap/make a channel for the water. Now it runs down the door, not on me. Been doing that for a few years. We also have cold winters here, so I only need it taped for half the year.
We got a new truck last month that has a rubber stopper screwed in the end of that channel. I haven’t been on that route in the rain to see how it works yet.
One route I cover has a leak in the roof above the drivers seat. Any kind of steady rain and it drips right on your crotch. I made a tape gutter to divert it away but the mechanic ripped it down. I rarely cover that route so I don’t worry too much about it.

WTFm8

Most of the time 'Shift Inhibit' goes because ypu dodn't hit brakes hard enough.

Hit brake pedal a little harder before shifting (truck doesn't need to come to full stop) and then shift into reverse and it goes most of the time... sometimes with a thud.

rustys954rr

Most of the time 'Shift Inhibit' goes because ypu dodn't hit brakes hard enough.

Hit brake pedal a little harder before shifting (truck doesn't need to come to full stop) and then shift into reverse and it goes most of the time... sometimes with a thud.
The problem is some trucks are more sensitive to it than others.

OrionsBitch

Not...
It is ridiculous that the hand brake is so far out of reach. I only use it on trucks that have that obnoxiously loud beeping. How about the drip edge over the doors. They stop about half an inch before the door jam so all the rain runs down the edge and all over your left leg. So aggravating.
Lmao that drip edge thing pisses me the :censored2: off. It's like a :censored2: water ride at an amusement park Everytime you get in and out of the truck. It's like UPS is saying "haha like delivering in the rain?! Well here :censored2: you! We've got a little more water for ya."

Indecisi0n

For the ebrake I just set it to as loose as it will go so when pulling it (end range of motion ) will be super easy. This way the car doesn't beep and if I am being observed everything looks good.

AlliSeeisBrown

Let's say all these wishes were granted overnight.

Management Response: You were 2 hours over today, what happened?
Driver: Idk, I made the same service as I did yesterday with no setbacks.
IE : With the new state of the art package cars that the company spent 2 million on updating, the easier parking brake shaves 15s per stop, more accessible flashers... 5s per stop, and more accessible shift, 10s per stop. Each stop should really only take you -45 seconds to complete.

*SPC and PPC slowly rises*

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The last 3 years I was in package I didn’t apply my parking brake once, the only exception being when I got OJS’d or my annual safety ride. The location of the E brake is surefire guaranteed shoulder surgery. I also adjusted my mirror arm so it never had to be pulled in. I pulled the arm in all the way, and then adjusted the mirror so it was in the correct spot.
No reason to use the e brake in an automatic.