Package Car Driver being passed on the Feeder list by article 22 employees

Article 22 employees are going to Feeders over qualified Package Car Drivers. The Contract says that, "you must have a good driving record and the employee not having an avoidable accident during the preceding year".

As a Package Car driver with a clean driving record and not having an avoidable accident during the preceding year, I recently filed and lost a grievance stating Article 22 employees do not meet the prerequisite of not having an avoidable accident, since many of them don't drive.

Just curious what other UPSers think?

barnyard

KTM rider
In my building, all but 2 of the article 22 jobs include driving. Are you sure you were passed over by people that are not driving as part of their jobs??

Yes. Currently there is a carwash/preload article 22 employee that went to feeders in the last 6 months. On the current Feeder bid sheet, there are 11 article 22 employees who are in front of me.

We have had two 22.3 that I know of for sure come into feeder. It is done here by FT seniority. One reason they have come in is that there is apparently a lack of PC drivers that want to go feeder. Word is there is also a lack of PT folk who want to go to PC too.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yes. Currently there is a carwash/preload article 22 employee that went to feeders in the last 6 months. On the current Feeder bid sheet, there are 11 article 22 employees who are in front of me.

Carwash employees certainly do drive. Just because they do not go off property does not mean they do not drive.

In my center, the guys that park the trucks do a 1 year annual ride, where they do a 5 or 10 mile loop with a supe.

barnyard

KTM rider
It's hard to be "unavoidable accident" free, if you're not driving for the company.

We have had car parkers hit another car while parking, get charged with an avoidable and were unable to sign a bid. 1 car parker was ineligible for 3 bids, so he quit parking cars and unloaded trailers until he could sign a FT bid.

A 22.3 that is washing cars is driving.

We have had car parkers hit another car while parking, get charged with an avoidable and were unable to sign a bid. 1 car parker was ineligible for 3 bids, so he quit parking cars and unloaded trailers until he could sign a FT bid.

A 22.3 that is washing cars is driving.
Many times mirrors or side windows in packages cars are broken by carwash. Accidents are never reported, and vehicles are never repaired before the start of the package car drivers next shift.

UPSGUY72

A week ago Friday a car washer/ parker while parking a newer p1000 inside the building made the back look like a accordion and left it where he parked it. So on Sunday night the FT preload had to switch it out... the bumper was pushed all the way under the back of the car.

We have had two 22.3 that I know of for sure come into feeder. It is done here by FT seniority. One reason they have come in is that there is apparently a lack of PC drivers that want to go feeder. Word is there is also a lack of PT folk who want to go to PC too.
Us pc drivers...dont wantg to get fat!....njustg saying...lol

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
As a Package Car driver with a clean driving record and not having an avoidable accident during the preceding year, I recently filed and lost a grievance stating Article 22 employees do not meet the prerequisite of not having an avoidable accident, since many of them don't drive.

Can you prove that the person or persons who won the bid HAVE had an avoidable accident? This is kind of like court, where the burden of proof would be on you to prove that they did in order to win your grievance.

If they have not had any accidents, then you lose (Which it kind of seems like you already have)