Package car radios?

brownboyups

i use a dewalt radio i put behind the driver seat on the floor...works well because of the battery (same as the drill battery...lasts a long time)
...pricey but worth every penney...gotta have my tunes...average 10 hours a day...i leave the radio in the package car on the shelf behind the
the drivers seat and take the battery home to charge every night

Notretiredyet

I have a M12 Milwaukee radio powered by a 12V lithium battery, pair it with an IPOD shuffle. Use a strap to secure it above my rear view monitor bracket so it's not bouncing around on the dash. Lasts about 10hrs on a charge which is pretty close to my usual workday.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Just do what most of us used to do. Get a loud radio, solder the battery terminals with two alligator clips and talk to a friendly mechanic, and ask him to tell you the best place to hook your clips up to. He may even make a terminal on the dash for you. That's how we used to do it. Not much to it. Bungee the radio somewhere safe on the dash, and crank that baby up. No more batteries!

downtime8763

I ran mine for years on a sealed 12v security battery that lasted 8-10 hrs and just put it on a trickle charger at night. My radio is a Honda line kenwood mounted in a craftsman plastic small tool box that has a cb in the one end. Two bungee cords and it was a go. It was crash tested as I had a lady pull out in front of me and both vehicles had to be towed,radio never moved.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The idea that a radio can't be hooked up to the battery of a package car is just plain silly. The truck's alternator and two batteries, provide more than enough power, even with the new mathematics.

If some new thing came along to better spy on us drivers, better believe it will go in our trucks fast. If the union wants something to happen, it will. I think it's off the radar for them.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
I own the Ryobi with the 18volt rechargeable battery. Well worth the extra money, best radio I've ever owned. Perfect for the package car, I recommend a bungee cord as well.

madhouse

Milwaukee m12 with the larger battery. I leave it run almost from start to end of day. Bought about a year ago at Home Depot. Radio was in a pkg with two batteries and a drill driver. Radio was basically free. Excellent drill too. :-)

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I bought this over 8 yrs. ago and it still works great. The 18 volt battery last all day. Will replace with something smaller once this radio dies but who knows when that will happen.

httptoolmonger_comwpcontentuploads200709DM_MilwaukeeRadio.jpg
httptoolmonger_comwpcontentuploads200709DM_MilwaukeeRadio.jpg

P700slave

I use a small 12 volt 7 amp home security battery. Last 11 hours. I charge it every night and rock all day. It's great to be able to listen out for weather warnings since our center never tells us what's going on. Got a radio with blue tooth so I can stream my music from my iPhone while its in the back of the truck locked up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I think that you would agree that the intent of the language would not include some of the boom boxes that we see in some of the package cars.

radio.jpg

My iPod is in the brown pouch.
Runs on an 18w Dewalt power pack for about 16 hrs that the radio can recharge itself in about 40 mins while I am on lunch every other day.
radio.jpg

stink219

How much would it really cost UPS to order trucks with a radio?
I think it's more about not giving us a shred of luxury. Every penny counts with UPS, yet they waste so much money and man hours tweaking numbers here and there. They truly do not care about us. Our bodies are just vehicles to move packages for them, nothing more. After we leave the company, they could care less if we are crippled or dead for that matter. They would have squeezed everything they can from our spine. And that my friends is why I'll always challenge them on everything.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I drove a rental that had a radio UPS would remove the fuse so people couldn't play the radio. So I just swapped another fuse from something less important ( like flashers) so I could use the radio. And we were not allowed to use alligator clips for our radios. Someone did it and got busted and it was banned.

S

serenity now

have no need for a radio, and can't imagine hauling those rigs into work every day

travel light and leave no trace

dmorgan370

I have a small am/fm radio from sears that I have used for 10 years. Runs on 4 AA batteries that last a little over 2 weeks. FYI meijer batteries last as long as duracell...