Package car road test

QKRSTKR

Our center is adding 5-6 package car drivers over the next few months. One of them is a preloader who was my helper this past Peak. He was really concerned about having to drive a standard as he had never done this; in fact, we don't have any manual transmission package cars in our center. Turns out that he won't have to-----in our district if your home center doesn't have any sticks you don't have to take your road test in one or use one during driving school.
That's cool. Pretty soon no package car driver will be required to drive a stick.

My experience as a helper helped me a lot when I went driving. Preloading and air driving did as well. Hope u taught him well. Knowledge from a veteran driver is way more beneficial than anything UPS can teach him.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is why if you happen to do a head first park on an incline, and you have clear space behind you, you just pop it in Neutral and let it roll back (carefully) to avoid the hit on the telematics report. Or so I hear.

I tried that a bunch one day. Counted all my "real" backs and had 6 roll backs. Telematics counted them all.

nystripe96

Each truck is different. Practice on multiple trucks if they let you. Some gears are reversed & have differing friction points. Good luck, just prepare well & use your mirrors a lot during the road test

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
I hated the trucks with Spicer clutches. In my opinion they are just pieces of crap but they installed them in many of the older trucks, especially diesels. My center was used to test a Spicer that they put in a couple of trucks and it wasn't long before they fell to pieces. So of course a couple of years later UPS bought a bunch of them. :bsbullf:

oldngray

nowhere special
GPS is supposed to take a 'snapshot' every 3 seconds. I was surprised, every rollback was just long enough to get the car turned enough to pull out.

Only in the world of UPS would a rollback be considered "safer" than just using reverse. I also tried rolling back and it made no difference which is why I thought there was a wheel sensor.

Z

ZQXC

I have a road test coming up and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for shifting gears in the package car. Also, does anyone know what the best speed for shifting to a higher gear is. For example at 20 mph, shift to gear 3. From what I know about stick gear driving, it's easiest at the right speed.

Listen to the engine

Marne Vet

If you have to ask when you should shift, you shouldn't be taking the driving test. You need to be familiar with Manual shifting before you even enter that Package Car.