Package Cars and A/C

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
You must be new . Hate to break it to you but you'll never get AC in a package car . Between having the doors open and being in and out so often it wouldn't even make sense . All it would do is promote drivers sitting in their package cars longer to try and cool down .

*But if you have the toughest set in the building you might have a chance .

And no, not New. Been cooking out here every summer for over 25 years. I know what I'm talking about. A/C on!!

clean hairy

What is next?
The drivers in NASCAR and Indy Car racing will be demanding A/C because it gets hot driving in the car with a firesuit on for several hours?

gorilla75jdw

Hey folks , please do not fail to leave us " shifters " out either . We suffer brutally in the heat as we are practically sitting on the engine in our "yard birds /yard mules / goats and whatever they are called across the country " , but I can assure any of you that while we in the "shifting " classification are not "in and out" any where near as to what a package car driver does , which means we "shifters" are practically trapped in our oven for longer periods of time , in between switches/shifts of trailers. However we are provided with a "defrost mechanism , in the form of a company installed fan, that is deemed adequate and necessary" as governed by the "D.O.T." . Even by D.O.T. standards which says , the vehicle needs a single "defrost mechanism " to be operated on public roads (which means on private roads and YARDS as we call our driving space around our hub in Tennessee at the "White's Creek facility " , that this fan (same as the fan in a package car) is sufficient to defrost the windshield in the event of a rain , inclement weather and also I suppose this same fan can be used to blow more "hot air" at the operator of these vehicles, in which blowing more hot air on an already hot driver is if its going to provide any type of "cooling relief" to the driver/occupant of these yardbirds , as I can assure you , there is no relief . The best relief that we recieve at my location is to find a shady spot , a shady area , maybe behind another trailer , maybe behind a certain area of the hub , at a certain time if the day as of course the shadows cast differently as the day progresses, but the best shady spot at our hub is , none other than actually piling into the hub itself (lol) after all the package cars have left for the day to their daily deliveries. At this point I have already entered the " T.L.D.R =which translates for all of old heads/tech illiterate and such into : =

T = To
L =Long
D = Didn't
R = Read

So , I'm going to wrap my reply up real swift with these "YARDBIRDS/YARDGOATS/YARDMULES " and whatever else they they are called across our great nation !!!

thecamel

Hey man, there was a time 6 or 7 years ago when my 1984 p1000, 4 on the floor, NO power steering, high steppin' , wooden shelves, wooden bulkhead was as good as it got. But times change. Don't know if I'll be here long enough to see ac but things seem to be changing by the moment around here anymore. Maybe make it better for the next guy. A/C on!!

oldngray

nowhere special
Hey man, there was a time 6 or 7 years ago when my 1984 p1000, 4 on the floor, NO power steering, high steppin' , wooden shelves, wooden bulkhead was as good as it got. But times change. Don't know if I'll be here long enough to see ac but things seem to be changing by the moment around here anymore. Maybe make it better for the next guy. A/C on!!

No 1984 P1000 had wooden shelves.

thecamel

Must have been some rebuilt junk they rolled in from the big city pal. We used to get a lot of that. Been getting a lot of new cars lately.

thecamel

I'll give that to you, the shelves weren't all wooden. Just the half assed repaired sections. My bad. I'm not that old.

Heavy Package

That is the entire problem here. For some reason management turns anything that goes on here into an exercise in antagonism. The nurse mentioned above has it half right. The management treat us worse than dogs.

I have never been treated as worse as UPS treats their employees. To be in the Southeast and not have AC is ridiculous. I go into some offices sweating worse than a hog at the slaughterhouse and people, including residential customers, hand out water etc. all day long. And to top it all off-the next morning to be told how fortunate we are to have this job, how overpaid we are, etc. is just a slap in the face. Name one fortune 100 company that certainly on a weekly basis yells to an entire group of employees to move faster and that you are all overpaid.

To the AC issue-UPS on purpose orders vehicles WITHOUT AC. Minivans, Sprinters, etc. So when they do that I don't care about walking into a professional business looking like a sweaty hog with a case of swamp :censored2:.

Dr.Brownz

I'll admit that the newer trucks are much better in that regard, but nice deflection lol Either way, I think you can understand that the second you stop and open the door, the heat immediately disappears. Yet you still bother to use it.

Saying we stop and open the doors so often, the truck would never heat up is just as valid argument to ditch the heater is it not?

There is residual heat all over the solid surfaces of the cab.

pkgdriver

F3C84262-216A-41F3-B359-352F2DD256B4.jpeg

This P8 bad boy has two fans for some reason.
Power steering,Low step and the ability to wear shorts>AC