Package driver license

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You have that backward.

Most States you just need an operators license, a standard drivers license.

There are still some States though, that require a special license.
Gotcha. I’ve driven in multiple states and had to take a special test for a different license each time.

Interesting that most just have regular licenses.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Gotcha. I’ve driven in multiple states and had to take a special test for a different license each time.

Interesting that most just have regular licenses.

Last time I looked, it was less than 10 States that required a special license to drive a CMV under 26500 lbs.

F

Frankie's Friend

With most package car driving jobs, just a regular driver's license will do. A few states do require a special license to drive a commercial truck. Some '24 foot straight trucks require a Class B CDL, depends on gross weight of the vehicle. I still have a CDL from when I started driving, I just don't tell my management team.
Class B is required if the vehicle has air brakes but is not a combination vehicle.
Last time I looked, it was less than 10 States that required a special license to drive a CMV under 26500 lbs.
That is under 26,001 lbs.

F

Frankie's Friend

True, but none of our package cars, or box trucks have air brakes.

Thanks, that was a typo.
The air brakes are relative to the straight trucks scratch was posting about. The company doesnt seem to like to use air brakes on non combi vehicles because it restricts the pool of drivers who can drive it on coverage issues.

I havent seen it all but that issue is relative to our local experience... for what that is worth.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2019-2-7_7-43-12.png
giphy.gif

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The air brakes are relative to the straight trucks scratch was posting about.

Correct. I was just pointing out what license you need to drive for UPS.

We don't have straight trucks with air brakes mainly for the reason you mentioned.

The company doesnt seem to like to use air brakes on non combi vehicles because it restricts the pool of drivers who can drive it on coverage issues.

F

Frankie's Friend

Correct. I was just pointing out what license you need to drive for UPS.

We don't have straight trucks with air brakes mainly for the reason you mentioned.
I believe you have to obtain and maintain a chauffeur's license in Indiana to drive pkg car.
Any clarification on that?