Package Driver shoots dog

tae111

30 years ago I knew a guy who delivered in a pretty nasty area here. He carried a un-licensed 32. He never used it but he used to say he would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

tae111

Actually he retired after 30 years. Like I said he never used it. Managment never knew. This is NJ so if he would have been caught he probably would have gone to jail.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
The question wasn't if one should or shouldn't protect themselves. The question is if a driver could save his job, and the answer is probably not. Not only is it against company policy, it is against most state laws to carry without a license. There are alot of possible mitigating factors that could help you out on the legal aspect, but none that I can think of that would help you keep your job.
My comment was first geared toward the other members comment about a crazy meth-head.....and second for the dog issue.......that was why I ended with the goog luck comment because I don't think hes gonna get his job back..:peaceful:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
he used to say he would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
words to live by most def!! . I too am from LAME-O New Jersey . When I was in packages I delivered in a good area and never carried. NJ pathetic gun laws and the illegality of a private citizen of carrying a handgun in this turd of a state has never stopped me from carrying any of my metal when I see fit.

Re-Raise

Shooting occured on company time. Driver was making residential deliveries. A 10 month old Boxer puppy was chasing his truck. Driver got off truck, walked around truck looking for dog. Fired a warning shot in the air and then shot the puppy as it was running away. Contact Gosnell, AR. Police Dept for verification. This driver needs Advice on how to get his job back.

Probably just another BS post from someone with too much time on their hands. Makes no sense on many levels.

What driver cares if a puppy chases his truck? My truck gets chased by dogs 50 times a day.

If I were carrying a weapon in violation of company policy and risking the loss of my job, it take more than a puppy biting my truck tires to make me discharge the firearm.

Who could really hit a running puppy with a handgun anyway? Didn't the little guy know you are supposed to zig-zag while running away? I am just saying....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
OK, so now we've gone from stupid (carrying gun while wearing browns - simply a catastrophe waiting for a time to happen) to psychotic - stopping a truck to get out and shoot at a dog.

Never been there, but Canada is nice.

I'm not condoning the actions of this driver and if the facts as related to us are true then he is in clear violation of both company policy and the law, and his termination ought to be upheld.

That being said, the assertion that "carrying a gun while wearing browns is a catastrophe waiting to happen" is nothing more than ignorant fear-mongering.

I have had a concealed handgun permit for over 12 years. On many occasions I have been armed---off the clock and off UPS property---after work while still wearing browns. No catastrophe has occured.

Contrary to popular liberal beliefs, the posession of a gun does not turn the bearer into a psychotic maniac. 200 million gun owners didnt kill anyone today.

UPS's "no weapons" policy is meant to protect the company from liability, NOT to protect its employees from harm. A murdered employee can be replaced with one who will be in progression for 3 years and do the same work for $10,000 a year less, so his/her death contitutes a net financial gain for the company. On the other hand, if that same employee succesfully uses a gun to save his/her own life, the family of the scumbag who tried to rob or murder him can sue UPS and hope to hit the jackpot against a company with deep pockets.

In the lawsuit-happy society we live in I cant really blame UPS for its no-weapons rule, although I wish that there was some way for those of us with carry permits to purchase our own liability insurance coverage that would shield UPS from litigation in case we had to defend ourselves.

redshift1

In the lawsuit-happy society we live in I cant really blame UPS for its no-weapons rule, although I wish that there was some way for those of us with carry permits to purchase our own liability insurance coverage that would shield UPS from litigation in case we had to defend ourselves.

There must be literally thousands and thousands of times a UPS driver needed a gun to protect himself.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"

There must be literally thousands and thousands of times a UPS driver needed a gun to protect himself.
This is not just a UPS policy. Federal regulations prohibit you from having a loaded, concealed weapon in a commercial vehicle.

I'd much rather have one and never need it than to need one just once and not have it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There must be literally thousands and thousands of times a UPS driver needed a gun to protect himself.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to encounter one and will have to question my career choice if I were to ever encounter one.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...That being said, the assertion that "carrying a gun while wearing browns is a catastrophe waiting to happen" is nothing more than ignorant fear-mongering.

I have had a concealed handgun permit for over 12 years. On many occasions I have been armed---off the clock and off UPS property---after work while still wearing browns. No catastrophe has occured.

Contrary to popular liberal beliefs, the posession of a gun does not turn the bearer into a psychotic maniac. 200 million gun owners didnt kill anyone today.....

Sober - I enjoy your posts - they are intelligent, thought provoking, and add value to the site. It is difficult for me to believe you did not understand what I wrote, so let me try again, in more detail-

Anyone going to work as a driver at UPS that is carrying a handgun while on the job is a catastrophe waiting to happen. I believe that strongly.

I dare say the problem with most people either wishing to carry or who do carry a handgun is the concept of progression - a handgun should leave its' holster only if someone will die / be extremely hurt if it is not. The problem, and I would say the majority of the time, is that handgun owners pull their gun out when they see people on the street, 20 feet away, that they don't like the looks of.

A good example is when I was back in High school. Fistfights. You had a beef, you beat each other up, one person won. Now adays people just point & shoot.

Read some of the posts in this thread. If they are not being sarcastic (and I hope they are) then some gun owner wannabes ARE fruitloops. They hurt the cause by being themselves.

I challenge anyone to even MAKE UP a scenario where a handgun is needed while driving a package car, let alone cite a real example.

And by the way, I have had a carry permit for 9 years - newest piece is a G36