Package Handler sore/cramping fingers

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
:censored2: that noise. With enough practice/experience he'll soon be grabbin' 15lb Avon boxes off the belt by their corners with a single hand each.

"Learn to not death grip...." shooooooot, the death grip comes in handy, man, every single day.

[EDIT addition:

I think that's the issue exactly. :censored2: always gets sore when you work a group of muscles more than you usually would, and I feel like there's a good chance he just shocked the :censored2: out of his body when he started package handling.]
Single handing death grip is a nice way to get hurt. Been doing this job a long time...my knees are shot...but my hands don't hurt. No reason to death grip....save your hands. JMO

J

jibbs

Single handing death grip is a nice way to get hurt. Been doing this job a long time...my knees are shot...but my hands don't hurt. No reason to death grip....save your hands. JMO

I think the guy's just building strength, not wrecking his hands, though. I know what you mean about saving your hands, but I just don't think it's unsafe for the average person to build up their hand strength. The hands may be one of the most fragile parts of a person's body, but people are made of some :censored2:in' tough stuff.

Like others've said, the sore hands-feeling is normal when you first start here, and that's because many new workers are actively strengthening their hands (and obviously the rest of their bodies) when they move packages for UPS for a living. It goes away because your body toughens to a point where it can handle the daily stress which, in my opinion, will make a person healthier in

Sure, injuries are likely and it's common sense to work safe, I just, again, don't think that the OPs sore hands is evidence or a result of unsafe working. Dude's just gotta work on his death grip.

I love grabbing packages by the straps.

Works great 'til you slice your palm in two.

If you wear gloves and it's not a metal strap it works great.

Ha, nvm, didn't see this second post until I had already spoken up.

Legitimyze

I think the guy's just building strength, not wrecking his hands, though. I know what you mean about saving your hands, but I just don't think it's unsafe for the average person to build up their hand strength. The hands may be one of the most fragile parts of a person's body, but people are made of some :censored2:in' tough stuff.

Like others've said, the sore hands-feeling is normal when you first start here, and that's because many new workers are actively strengthening their hands (and obviously the rest of their bodies) when they move packages for UPS for a living. It goes away because your body toughens to a point where it can handle the daily stress.

Sure, injuries are likely and it's common sense to work safe, I just, again, don't think that the OPs sore hands is evidence or a result of unsafe working. Dude's just gotta work on his death grip.

Yeah I cant say for sure what I am doing right/wrong, I dont really think about it just kinda go with the flow. I am thinking you are right though, hopefully it will fade away when my hands get stronger lol.

For the guy about the banana, was that a joke are are you serious? haha.

Grab some latex coated gloves, the extra grip they provide will give your fingers/hands a bit more relief.
20140906_131549.jpg

TheFigurehead

It's totally normal, and a chief complaint of almost all new unloaders. At about 90 days, the pain subsides, and wont return. You are overusing muscles you probably havent used in that manner before. Coated gloves definitely help as the coating provides better grip, and you wont have to use as much pressure to keep the box secure in your hands.

The only real tip I can give is to get some gloves, and learn to "palm" the lighter boxes... instead of grabbing with your fingers, put a palm on each side, with your fingers outstretched, and let your arms and gloves do the work instead of your fingers. This method tops out at about 30 - 40 lbs, depending on your strength, and the condition of the coating on your gloves.

The sound of pkgs falling

Former Master Cynic
Exactly. I got a pair from tractor supply by carhartt that were incredible. I threw them out before the rubber wore off due to the odor they left on my hands (sweaty summer peak). They were pricey, but i saw the same exact glove branded "mad grip"at big lots for about 3 bucks. Well worth it. Otherwise get the wrinkled latex coated gloves and not the nitrile coated ones unless you want to eat a box for breakfast. Oh and dont peel off the labels if you're loading, health is more important than mind numbingly retarded procedure in my world everyday.

Exactly. I got a pair from tractor supply by carhartt that were incredible. I threw them out before the rubber wore off due to the odor they left on my hands (sweaty summer peak). They were pricey, but i saw the same exact glove branded "mad grip"at big lots for about 3 bucks. Well worth it. Otherwise get the wrinkled latex coated gloves and not the nitrile coated ones unless you want to eat a box for breakfast. Oh and dont peel off the labels if you're loading, health is more important than mind numbingly retarded procedure in my world everyday.
These are electrician gloves. very light weight,you dont sweat too much In them.

They last a fairly long time. and no problem,using the DIAD.

Legitimyze

Haha true, but its hard for me to remember what number that package is. So If I come to that shelf, idk weather to put the box to the left or right of the one sitting there. I have heard of people using markers/crayons to mark them, but that seems too time consuming.

J

jibbs

Home Depot and Lowes normally carry some pretty decent 5-packs of gloves (near the shovels and rakes and stuff inside the building, not the home and garden sections they have outside). Pretty cheap, too, I don't think I paid more than $5 for 5 pairs. Only downside was that I could only find one size and the damn things were too big for my hands. Used 'em anyway until I had enough calluses.. After that they just were more of a hassle than anything else.

Haha true, but its hard for me to remember what number that package is. So If I come to that shelf, idk weather to put the box to the left or right of the one sitting there. I have heard of people using markers/crayons to mark them, but that seems too time consuming.

Peeling PAL labels becomes second nature eventually. Just keep in mind that it's not necessary with every single box, though. Just mark the truck up enough so that you can get a feel for where things are at. In the beginning it's tough, but after a while you'll start to remember certain packages' sequence numbers after you've loaded them just by sight (especially once you've accrued enough seniority to be placed on the same pull/set of trucks on a daily basis.) There's also some PAL labels that just won't peel away without tearing the box to hell. :censored2: those PAL labels, don't worry about them.

Basically, do what works for you, man. The only caveat to that is to work as directed-- if the way you want to work conflicts with the way your management tells you to work, always go with what management tells you. You'll have more job security that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

I usually down 2 bottles of water in the 4 hour period I am there. Does that not sound like enough?
Are you sweating? And how big is the water bottle? I usually do at least 32 fl oz a shift. If I know it's going to busy I'll bring another 16 ouncer. It's always better to overshoot how much you should have than undershoot. Chronic dehydration put me in the hospital a few months ago. You don't want to mess with that crap.

Sent using BrownCafe App

J

jibbs

^^Don't you have a water fountain or something in your building?

I bring a 16oz bottle but refill it several times throughout the day.

But there's some guys that piss and moan about how the fountain's not filtered water and they refuse to drink it. I think they're retarded with that but hey, to each their own..

My fingers were really sore for about a month after I started bagging sure post and dealing with the smaller packages. Different way of using my hands. No problems now.

watdaflock?

I am not here to complain or cry about how my fingers hurt but is this normal for newer Loader/unloaders?

Only those who have not worked much with their hands in the past. If you grew up on a farm most likely you'd not have sore fingers/hands.

I doubt its related to being dehydrated. If he was dehydrated their would be other symptoms much earlier than sore hands.
Simply put- what color is your pee? If darker yellow you are dehydrated. More clear the better.

Last edited: