package trucks

Hedley_Lamarr

You do need to know how to shift a manual trans though. When you started this thread, I noticed that you asked about "double clutching", which is what you had to know a long time ago when some manual transmissions weren't synchronized. So that shouldn't be a problem. But new drivers will usually get an older package car with a straight shift. Where I am at, the senior drivers get the automatics. We are about 50/50 in the ratio of manual vs. auto. So they are coming folks, eventually everybody will have one. I think the straight shifts are fun to drive, I drive a P5 on my first trip. But I do love my two year old P7, it drives like a Cadillac compared to the older cars.:happy2:
If I don't have anybody watching I don't even use the clutch when I shift. A habit I got into driving tractor trailers. When I went for my driving test they told me that they don't even want you to down shift prior to stopping. another habit from driving semis.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Keep the keys in your pocket where they should be and you will NEVER and I mean NEVER do that.

There are some centers where they train the drivers to keep the keys on the index finger of their right hands. I was taught to always pocket them in my right pants pocket as the COD money always went in to the left pants pocket. I'm sure that you have seen some of the UPS videos where drivers have the keys on their fingers.

I put my keys in my right shirt pocket. I developed a bump on my leg putting them in my pants pocket. If my keys fall out I know I wasn't lifting properly. I haven't lost them yet. (knock on wood)

Hedley_Lamarr

There are some centers where they train the drivers to keep the keys on the index finger of their right hands. I was taught to always pocket them in my right pants pocket as the COD money always went in to the left pants pocket. I'm sure that you have seen some of the UPS videos where drivers have the keys on their fingers.
They told me to keep the keys on my left pinky..

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It drives me crazy having the key ring on my finger when I'm delivering business. Especially if I have a bunch of pkgs to deal with. I keep a spring clip on my belt loop for my keys. I can snap and unsnap the keys with one hand and it doesn't waste any time for me.

trickpony1

If I don't have anybody watching I don't even use the clutch when I shift. A habit I got into driving tractor trailers. When I went for my driving test they told me that they don't even want you to down shift prior to stopping. another habit from driving semis.

Interesting you say that.
One of our new feeder drivers was taking his road test recently. The examiner said," They(the company) teach you to double clutch don't they.". The new guy said, "Yes". The examiner said, "You don't have to double clutch".
All our mechanics say it is hard on the clutch (as well as the left knee) to double clutch. A feeder supe told me, in confidence, that students are taught to double clutch because it gives them something to do while waiting for the RPM"s to drop.
Double clutching the feeders is one of the antiquated "methods" the company continues to embrace even though it is not needed.

Down shifting might come in handy if your brakes fade plus it puts you at a correct speed to negoiate a turn. Do I always downshift? No.

W

will work for food

thanks for all the input. my road test is scheduled for tommorow. let you know how it goes!

rod

Retired 22 years

You pull the key out with your right hand so it wouldn't be good UPS training to put it in your left hand so you can get it back on your right hand index finger. Too Much wasted movement. Just do the opposite of everything Upchuck says and you will be OK:peaceful:

feeder53

ADKtrails
I was told to keep the keys on my right index finger, and they insisted on double clutching for the tests (Feeders). Remember all the training you have had......When the vehicle comes to a stop, do not creep up......stay put. Set your brakes. I took my test over a year ago and had driven for over 20 years....I think that it is harder because you develop a style unlike UPSs in your driving. Good Luck.

W

will work for food

: ) I passed my test. The stick setup is definately differen than what I'm used to, but I adjusted after 10 minutes or so.

It drives me crazy having the key ring on my finger when I'm delivering business. Especially if I have a bunch of pkgs to deal with. I keep a spring clip on my belt loop for my keys. I can snap and unsnap the keys with one hand and it doesn't waste any time for me.
I use the spring clip also, but I put it on the key ring. The rings on some trucks are small enough that it actually hurts my knuckles. With one or two small packages I keep the spring clip in my right hand around two fingers, more pkgs I clip them to my belt loop.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I use the spring clip also, but I put it on the key ring. The rings on some trucks are small enough that it actually hurts my knuckles. With one or two small packages I keep the spring clip in my right hand around two fingers, more pkgs I clip them to my belt loop.
That would work too, but the first time I forget to take my clip home with me at night it would be gone the next day. We have sticky fingers around here.