Panel or last chance agreement

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
so when I accidentally hit commercial on residential next day saver and it pops up late i should get an article 7 discharge? even though I could just void the stop and resheet it the correct way but for some reason I will get written up if I void the stop and correct my mistake?
No void it and resheet it

Or pay more attention.

We have a cover driver who is on his 2nd Article 7---both for late air. We think they are trying to get rid of him.

When UPS starts nitpicking little things to keep disciplining someone there is usually a bigger reason as to why they want to get rid of him.
yeah well I've been driving 10 years now, and all of a sudden I'm a problem? I know I'm not liked by a certain manager. we had a heated discussion about 2 years ago. then came the write ups

they would write us up if we voided and resheeted. which is ridiculous.
that accounts for 3 of the article 7's
and yes pay more attention.
but if the person at the Dunkin Donuts rings in your order wrong then voids and corrects it does she get written up? no because thats ridiculous. I'm not a robot.

oldngray

nowhere special
but if the person at the Dunkin Donuts rings in your order wrong then voids and corrects it does she get written up? no because thats ridiculous. I'm not a robot.

So you void and resheet as soon as you see your mistake and are still at the stop and got a warning letter? Didn't you grieve it? Or was there more to the story?

Brownslave688

Use some common sense. They are gonna write you up for voiding out a false record in delivery?

That would stand less than zero chance of being upheld at panel.

lol we were told not to void air stops because it shows up on a "report" who cares if it shows up correct? you would still want it sheeted correctly I would think. so if i void and resheet I would have still been written up
I guess I should have corrected it if I'm going to be written up either way

Brownslave688

lol we were told not to void air stops because it shows up on a "report" who cares if it shows up correct? you would still want it sheeted correctly I would think. so if i void and resheet I would have still been written up
I guess I should have corrected it if I'm going to be written up either way
Like I said. Use some common sense. Which would you defend yourself against at panel?

most of the article 7's are of this nature so I think I should refuse the last chance... that would be admitting I've done something wrong when I don't believe I have. I admit I have made mistakes but we all have and none were something I should be fired for

Overpaid Union Thug

I currently have 9 article 7 discharges letters, 7 of the 9 were from last year (2014) all were for "failure to follow proper methods and procedures" This year I had one back in spring for not filling out a delivery notice. I had lost my pen, normally I keep extra pens in my truck but on this day they had pulled me off my bid run at the last minute to cover a different run.

You should have filed on each and every write up. And each infraction should have dropped off after 9 months.

This time around I got an actual discharge, article 56 I believe, for not sheeting a misload that was on my car. I never saw this package other wise I would have sheeted it missed as we are instructed to. The labor manager has offered for me to come back to work on article 7 and go to panel or sign a last chance agreement with a lengthy suspension i have already been out of work for a week and a half. My BA seems to think It wouldn't go well for me at panel.
wondering what you guys think.
also every time I received an article 7 the steward would have me sign a blank grievance form.... then I would never hear anything about it after that... no resolution? are they are just letting them stack paper on me, does this sound like the normal procedure for a grievance?

Your steward should have given you copies of the grievances. You should demand to see them if he hasn't.

now threatening my job with a bunch of crap mostly from 2014 and few in 2013. a few of them were for accidentally sheeting resi savers as commercial after 3 which makes them late. we use to be able to void the stop and resheet it the correct way but for some reason they changed that to we can't void air stops, which is bull i think they were doing this so they had more tools to write you up and then they eventually went back to its ok to void them, that lasted almost a year. Shouldn't these been resolved seems like that it would fall under using technology for discipline.
I know that the reality of it is they are not happy with my over allowed so I get written up for things that other people get a talking to.
I don't feel as though any of things they have written me for is a discharge able offense, no cardinal sins, no malicious behavior, no falsifying documents, just mistakes that everyone is bound to make from time to time. confused, nervous, and scared of losing my job after over 20 years with the company.

You need to speak with your steward and BA about why they were permitted to stick infractions to you that should have dropped off your record.

And, despite what some people on this forum may think, and whether or not you screwed up that much, UPS has a contract to follow when they pursue disciplinary action. And the union has their role to play. It sounds like you are getting the knife in the back....and the front.

HardknocksUPSer

Pretty sure the heated argument you were engaged in with your manager is the whole reason behind this situation, to further evaluate the situation perhaps you could explain what the heated argument was about? Arguments like that don't happen for no reason? I truly feel as if your a sincere person but give more details without giving away personal identity.

Pretty sure the heated argument you were engaged in with your manager is the whole reason behind this situation, to further evaluate the situation perhaps you could explain what the heated argument was about? Arguments like that don't happen for no reason? I truly feel as if your a sincere person but give more details without giving away personal identity.
probably made it sound worse than it actually was but I was told my footwear was not acceptable I was wearing the same thing many other drivers were wearing. so next day when I hadn't replaced my shoes He looks at the center manager and says what did we give him yesterday his response is a warning letter so he says now your getting a suspension and of couse this not in the office this in the hub as trucks are starting to roll out then he look at me and say are you working and I sarcastically say you tell me you just said I was suspended. so yeah that pissed him off

HardknocksUPSer

probably made it sound worse than it actually was but I was told my footwear was not acceptable I was wearing the same thing many other drivers were wearing. so next day when I hadn't replaced my shoes He looks at the center manager and says what did we give him yesterday his response is a warning letter so he says now your getting a suspension and of couse this not in the office this in the hub as trucks are starting to roll out then he look at me and say are you working and I sarcastically say you tell me you just said I was suspended. so yeah that :censored2: him off
Kind of seems like your being targeted for whatever reason? If your lazy just tell us? Have you had a bad past as a part timer? There's some reason why they don't like you.

HardknocksUPSer

Over allowed he said. He's slow.

Which isn't a big deal but you must follow the methods.
True, my BA tells us if we can't meet the produce standards atleast use the safety methods. If your going slow enough to follow the safety methods you are going slow enough you shouldn't screw up, I agree. 1 or two times, okay. BUT 9?? That's being careless.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Based on what you're telling us I'd say go to panel, I've never heard of a 10 year driver losing his job for what amounts to a series of clerical errors over a 2 year period. Also you should file a lot more grievances you're clearly being harassed.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm wondering where the steward was in all of this? How do you have 9 incidents and this is going to panel? Where are the grievances? Protest letters for which one as well? Are you keeping documentation and a journal of dispatches, stop counts, changing conditions etc?

A good steward would of seen this as a conflict of personalities between the 10 year driver and manager and probably would have tried to get the harassment and nit picking to stop. But 9 separate incidents and now it is being dealt to the BA?
Either there is more to the story or this driver really did start a war which his representation couldn't fight.

And if you know they have a target on your back the first couple of times, why wouldn't you be covering your ass and following every method every time?
After the first time, there should have been constant documentation on the part of the OP.

I bet there is more to this story then is presented. Are there overzealous, crazy vengeful managers out there? Absolutely. But something doesn't add up.