Panhandlers on your route

P

pickup

20/20 or someone did a special on them one year. 99% of the time it's one of two things. A drunk or druggie who is just gonna blow the money. Or and this is pretty amazing. It's people who have nice homes in the suburbs who drive into the city and beg. They make a decent tax free living this way.

For those who read Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King: I thought the "panhandler's" method of operation was pretty cool.

watdaflock?

Once I literally gave the sweatshirt off my back to an older homeless guy, who was working his way South (towards Phoenix) during the winter. It was cold and wet outside and he was struggling.

Would never have considered offering him a ride, but providing another layer of warmth made me feel like I helped a fellow man.

clean hairy

Pulled into the gas station to prepay to fill up my car.
Guy had a gas can and asked if I would be able to help him with a dollar or 2 for gas, his car ran out, and his Wife and Baby were waiting in the car down the road.
I turned on the pump and put $1 in his gas can.
Man, was he mad! He told me where I could go and went stomping off!
The next week, same gas station, same guy, same story.

dudebro

It's a complicated issue, there are a million stories.

Many also just don't like following the rules. The street gives you the freedom not to listen to anyone. In a shelter, you have to be back by a certain time, you have to be quiet, etc. There are people who simply can't abide by that and would rather sleep outside.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You do realize a lot of them are Veterans and people with mental illness? The real mutants are those that think like you.
Get off the drugs. Problem solved.

Why throw around the Veterans card. Do some have problems, sure, but more likely than not, they like the drugs.

rod

Retired 22 years
You do realize a lot of them are Veterans and people with mental illness? The real mutants are those that think like you.

You do realize the majority of "Veterans" out there panhandling aren't Veterans at all. My Brother in Law is the Commander of the local VFW and it has gotten so bad that instead of just giving a few bucks for a meal and a room for the night to anyone who walks in the door saying they are Veterans down on their luck that now the staff asks for proof of military service. If they can't come up with it they are asked to go down to the local Veterans Affairs Office to get it. He says most of the deadbeats just walk out mad.

rod

Retired 22 years
The last report I read said that although 2,709,918 people served in Vietnam now days 4 out of 5 who say they did ---didn't.

MAKAVELI

The last report I read said that although 2,709,918 people served in Vietnam now days 4 out of 5 who say they did ---didn't.
2016's Shocking Homelessness Statistics
47,725, or about 8% of the homeless population, are veterans. This represents a 35% decrease since 2009. Homeless veterans have served in several different conflicts from WWII to the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Washington, D.C., has the highest rate of veteran homelessness in the nation (145.8 homeless veterans per 10,000). 45% of homeless veterans are black or Hispanic. While less than 10% of homeless veterans are women, that number is rising.

1.4 million veterans are at risk of homelessness. This may be due to poverty, overcrowding in government housing, and lack of support networks. Research indicates that those who served in the late Vietnam and post-Vietnam era are at greatest risk of homelessness. War-related disabilities or disorders often contribute to veteran homelessness, including physical disabilities, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury, depression and anxiety, and addiction.

You do realize the majority of "Veterans" out there panhandling aren't Veterans at all. My Brother in Law is the Commander of the local VFW and it has gotten so bad that instead of just giving a few bucks for a meal and a room for the night to anyone who walks in the door saying they are Veterans down on their luck that now the staff asks for proof of military service. If they can't come up with it they are asked to go down to the local Veterans Affairs Office to get it. He says most of the deadbeats just walk out mad.
That's ashame

rod

Retired 22 years
2016's Shocking Homelessness Statistics
47,725, or about 8% of the homeless population, are veterans. This represents a 35% decrease since 2009. Homeless veterans have served in several different conflicts from WWII to the recent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Washington, D.C., has the highest rate of veteran homelessness in the nation (145.8 homeless veterans per 10,000). 45% of homeless veterans are black or Hispanic. While less than 10% of homeless veterans are women, that number is rising.

1.4 million veterans are at risk of homelessness. This may be due to poverty, overcrowding in government housing, and lack of support networks. Research indicates that those who served in the late Vietnam and post-Vietnam era are at greatest risk of homelessness. War-related disabilities or disorders often contribute to veteran homelessness, including physical disabilities, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury, depression and anxiety, and addiction.

I never said there weren't real Veterans who do need a hand. All I'm saying is that the majority of the scum stand at the intersections holding a sign that claim they are Veterans---aren't. They are professional beggars.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Our local homeless shelters fund-raise with coupons books , $100 gets you 50 coupons. One coupon is worth a night's stay and a meal.
Giving cash is highly discouraged by the shelters around here, sadly, begging is some people's full-time job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our local homeless shelters fund-raise with coupons books , $100 gets you 50 coupons. One coupon is worth a night's stay and a meal.
Giving cash is highly discouraged by the shelters around here, sadly, begging is some people's full-time job.

I like that idea.

MAKAVELI

I never said there weren't real Veterans who do need a hand. All I'm saying is that the majority of the scum stand at the intersections holding a sign that claim they are Veterans---aren't. They are professional beggars.
Those professional beggars and companies such as Carrier have a lot in common.

clean hairy

Story on the news about a restaurant in cedar hill tx.
Veteran went for free meal on veterans appreciation day and had all his papers with him.
Manager figured he was a phony and took his food away from him.