Pants in the summer??

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I would be more interested in my doctor or lawyers previous work and their abilities, not how they looked.

Frankly I view a comment like that as a form of discrimination.
Discrimination is judgement because of something you didn't have choice in, such as a racial background. You chose to get a tattoo.

Delta Airlines came to my University one day to do mock interviews to get students ready for when it came time to go out and get a job in the industry. They had a little thing before hand and the head of HR told us "If you have a visible tattoo you may as well just leave now because you're not getting hired." He went in depth on how professionalism isn't about knowledge but appearance. Grandma doesn't want to walk onboard and see the captain with a full sleeve and a pot plant on his neck.

Yeah it's a little different for the drivers as lives aren't in your hands. But appearance is everything. If you're clean cut and look like a million bucks, people think we're the best. Even in times where we may not be.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I started driving in '78, shorts weren't part of the uniform. When they started issuing shorts, I got my 3 pair. They are still in the top of my closet, folded just like the day I got them. It gets hotter than a 2 dollar pistol in Texas, but somehow I survived. So can you, tattoo boy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Which is why I cover mine up and will until we come out of the stone age and alow visible tattoos and maybe a goatee.

And if we're trying to uphold a military standard they allow visible tattoos in the military.

While they do allow visible tattoos in the military they are required to be covered up while participating in formal ceremonies.

What you call the stone age the rest of us call a professional business atmosphere.

InRythmWithTime

I've gone big, now I'm going home
Do these folks with all the tattoos not know the rules when they sign up?
just curious, what are the rules and where do them stem from. Is it corporate, maybe most sups opinions or is it at the leisure of center manager's to decide if they wanna feel bossy or not...So if it changes from center to center and person to person it cant very well be a "company" policy

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

just curious, what are the rules and where do them stem from. Is it corporate, maybe most sups opinions or is it at the leisure of center manager's to decide if they wanna feel bossy or not...So if it changes from center to center and person to person it cant very well be a "company" policy

The "rules" come from the official UPS appearance standard policy. There should be a copy of the guidelines posted somewhere in your facility. Enforcement of the policy does vary from building to building.

InRythmWithTime

Would you hire a guy with a swastika tattooed on his forehead? Where does the line stop? So are you discriminating if you don't hire this man?

Any employer can set standards. For example, A TV news network's anchor has to fit a defined mold. Like it or not. That anchor won't have a tattoo on his neck. He will not have a long beard. He will have nicely combed hear. He will not have earrings. He will not speak with an inner city cadence. Is this not fear to you? Too bad.
what about her hahaaa j/k I understand what most of you have mentioned, but I have to admit we as a country have taken visual guidelines to an embarrassing level, materialistic, vein and a lack of respect to the random. meanwhile with 15% of the population at any given time staring down into a damn tablet...who really gives a sh@t about a tattoo

InRythmWithTime

When I started driving in '78, shorts weren't part of the uniform. When they started issuing shorts, I got my 3 pair. They are still in the top of my closet, folded just like the day I got them. It gets hotter than a 2 dollar pistol in Texas, but somehow I survived. So can you, tattoo boy.
"hotter than a 2 dollar pistol "lol I kinda like that. is it trade marked cause I may use it?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Situation is I have a tattoo on my leg of nothing vulgar or offending. I was told by my onroad 6 years ago that I would have to wear pants...OK I thought and that was that. Not until now have I had a problem with the heat, yesterday I wasn't sure if I was gonna make it thru the day. This morning I said friend-it put the shorts on. Right away center manager tells me I have to wear long pants. I said ok walked out of the office into my pc. (wearing shorts all day was nice, reminded me of skinny dipping) Now here is my concern, I have no problem what so ever abiding to realistic terms from corporate. But there are a couple of people who have tattoos on their arms and aren't told to have long sleeve shirts. I am not the type of person to say "well what about him and what about her" Its not my style to throw anyone under any bus. All tho I can be very confrontational. If any of you have any advise it will be greatly appreciated! I've been a morning reader of just about all of your input for the past 4 years, you make my coffee that much sweeter. thank you for your time

Mama told you not to, but nooooo, don't listen to her.

All tats must be covered in my district.

Notretiredyet

Wear long pants while in building, change to shorts when out on the route change back to pants before coming in. You could go years before they see you in shorts. Cover up makeup works well on the smaller tats, I cover mine with a large bandaid for appearance audits.

Three11

I'd be Interested in the age difference in the people who think tattoos are ok and those who think they're not (and I'm not talking obscene tattoo's I.e. Hate, nudity, etc.)

I would guess like 90% of those who think they're terrible are 40 years old +

Which is why I'm saying things will be changing when us from that scary "generation x" start moving up the ranks.

BrownTexas

I'd be Interested in the age difference in the people who think tattoos are ok and those who think they're not (and I'm not talking obscene tattoo's I.e. Hate, nudity, etc.)

Which is why I'm saying things will be changing when us from that scary "generation x" start moving up the ranks.
I'm under 40, and I think tattoos are a decision one shouldn't take lightly.

Get a visible tattoo and you have drastically reduced your options in life. I think some (not all) people get tattoos on a whim and don't truly think of the outcome. Just like some (not all) do it for a look, people will stereotype and look at your appearance and prejudge you.

The 80 yr old, southern, extreme Christian woman may not feel comfortable answering the door, to sign for a package, from a person with a visible tattoo and now doesn't use UPS because of this.

Should have read the appearance guidelines before becoming a driver. If it bothers you, go work some place in air conditioning where pants won't be an issue.

Zap!

Generation Xers are born between 1961 and 1981. Many of us are over 40.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Not so sure. I got a good way to 30 and have never been a fan. To me it's like a bumper sticker on a Porsche Carrera or a boat with a cheesy ass name plastered to the back. You just don't do it. But, who knows. I may be in the minority.