Paper !!!!!!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
None of the old timers that were here when I started could have handled today's pace.

Exactly. I'm not currently equipped to do my job in the same fashion drivers did 30 years ago but, I feel like I could adapt. Especially given, there was less work on the car.

I understand the whole, "I drive an automatic with a low step, power steering/brakes and keyless entry" thing. Driving those old cars was a job by itself. And then, there was the other job of delivering/picking up packages.

I could do what "they" did. Could "they" do what I do?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
On this issue? Yes.

Let us mark our calendars.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1442186616.518001.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I started in '88, was on paper for two or three years before we got the DIAD 1.

I would say that the job is easier today than it was in 1988. We aren't spending 12 hours a day fighting package cars that were intentionally designed to make our jobs harder and shorten our careers. The cars are bigger and faster. We have technology like cell phones and GPS and the ability to communicate instantly with the center in regards to dispatch issues. We have better contract language; when I started there was no such thing as 9.5 penalty pay or 8 hour requests. And the same technology that the company tries to use to harass us can actually be turned around and used against them if we are smart enough to know how. When I started, there was a WOR and it said you were 2 hours overallowed and you couldn't dispute it or argue with it. Now you can ask them to show you on Telematics where you are losing that two hours and they cant tell you because its BS and they know it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know for a fact that the driver who used to have my run would never be able to deliver 540 packages to 143 stops while driving 50 miles and picking up just over 200 pkgs from 28 P/U stops.

And be punched out and gone, with a full lunch and break, by 1815-1830.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I know for a fact that the driver who used to have my run would never be able to deliver 540 packages to 143 stops while driving 50 miles and picking up just over 200 pkgs from 28 P/U stops.

You don't punch out that late, do you?

I mean, you DO often brag about getting 8 hr guarantee pay.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The cars all went out loaded up to the gills like today , you guys just have more technology!!
We had sups following us around DR audits and harassment as well !!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

540 pieces? What size truck do you drive?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was delivering and picking up a thousand packages a day on my first route thirty-two years ago. This job is a lot easier today.