Paper !!!!!!

ski or die

Ski or Die
Some of the driver's in our center driving the rural areas would stop in town and leave the package's at a location in town and phone the customer to let them know so they would could come and pick it up. The drivers' had a good relationship with their customers so they were able to do this without any complaints. It saved them quite a bit of time and having to drive on the rural roads. Can't do that now with the technology.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Could hold on to a pkg few days and get the stop and deliver when consignee got back from vaca !! It was like a free stop for a few days. Lol

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Some of the driver's in our center driving the rural areas would stop in town and leave the package's at a location in town and phone the customer to let them know so they would could come and pick it up. The drivers' had a good relationship with their customers so they were able to do this without any complaints. It saved them quite a bit of time and having to drive on the rural roads. Can't do that now with the technology.
Our rural route guys still do this without a problem.

Question for you older guys. Back in the day when it wasn't automated, how did preloaders know what to put in your cars? Were they just trained to know the areas and grabbed them off the belt?

I find this thread fascinating.

Ecw21411

This.

I actually preferred the rural routes, because once you learned the way the mail carrier ran it, it was really rather easy. After that, it was only a matter of asking around for the lanes with 4 or 5 houses and the mailboxes at the end.
I also kept a card file with cust names and directions

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
And no one cried,,, we knew the job, and what was expected of us ,,, it all came with the territory
Unfortunately some people did and do continue to cry. Funny thing is even now they will not retire. They (the criers) are well taken care of here.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I think my center manager would just burn the building down now if we had to go back to that. Majority of our preload has been hired in the last 6 months. They can't even load cars with PALs.
We had a driver sort and load for my first 8 yrs of driving. We are ultra rural so it wasn't that bad....Got home at a decent time. Then we went preload after the strike. Out of spite IMO. The guys that set up the preload admitted it didn't make sense.

Ms.PacMan

Load chart.
And they hung a paper at the back of the truck and made hash marks for your stop count. They'd/we'd ride them about being accurate - and they were remarkably accurate considering that they were reading and loading 2 or 3 trucks.

Days that they were buried though, you would come in and they would have lost track of your count. I think that's why older drivers have an uncanny ability to look at their truck and just know how long their day will be.

Blue cards....

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We had a driver sort and load for my first 8 yrs of driving. We are ultra rural so it wasn't that bad....Got home at a decent time. Then we went preload after the strike. Out of spite IMO. The guys that set up the preload admitted it didn't make sense.
I know there is a center in the district that still does a driver sort and load. Very small though. I don't think they even have 10 routes.