Parking lot accident

LeddySS98

I called the on road supe we had about 6 months ago and told him about the incident... and he remembered parking in that exact same spot many times... he said he would park there or back into the handicap spot and take it out the back... He was a great sup. but the 'bravo sierra' got to him and he quit...

I keep hearing not to worry about it, but I'm yet to be at that point... Amazing how something like this can open your eyes up to the other drivers attitude towards management.. prior to this, i thought they were just a bunch of little whiners... baptism by fire my friends, I'm ready to join the crowd

Griff

I called the on road supe we had about 6 months ago and told him about the incident... and he remembered parking in that exact same spot many times... he said he would park there or back into the handicap spot and take it out the back... He was a great sup. but the 'bravo sierra' got to him and he quit...

I keep hearing not to worry about it, but I'm yet to be at that point... Amazing how something like this can open your eyes up to the other drivers attitude towards management.. prior to this, i thought they were just a bunch of little whiners... baptism by fire my friends, I'm ready to join the crowd

Thats the majority of people on this board. Completely ignorant when it comes to the gravity of the situation with management because "it hasn't happened to them yet". It's killing the union from the inside out like a cancer, no solidarity whatsoever. The same stories, the same "attitudes", history continues to repeat itself. Nobody gives a :censored2: until it personally effects them and it's a huge problem at UPS. I haven't been a driver ultra-long but I have seen some management patsies get theirs (stabbed in the back by management), being a yes-man doesn't guarantee you a damn thing.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
About five yrs, and two center managers , ago I was backed into a parking spot in front of a pizza place. I had 12 boxes of door hangers (50 lbs each) and I'm humpin them out the back of the pkg. car. The delivery kid comes out, we exchange hellos, and he backs out and cuts the wheels to soon. He smacks my front quarter panel and cracks it. I call the center and the first thing my sup says is "Did you have your flashers on?" Because we all know the flashers throw up an impenetrable force field around your vehicle and repel little toyota pick up trucks! The police came, filed a report, and UPS agreed it wasn't my fault and it was unavoidable. But it took a while to reach that point. For two weeks after the accident it looked like it was going on my record. I filed a greviance insisting it couldn't be my fault if I wasn't in the vehicle. UPS agreed at a local hearing. If I had parked in a remote area of the lot and hauled the boxes 50 yards I would have been told "park close" I think corporate has an answer for everything.. even if the answers contradict each other.... don't run, but do 20 stops an hour.........and mgmt will pull out whichever little saying neccesary to place blame squarely on the driver. I know most drivers feel the same way. And if you're a driver who doesn't, just wait, it happens to all of us sooner or later. Leddy, don't sweat it either way, the outcome (whatever they decide) is unavoidable!

ent I thought it was going on my record as being my fault, because I should have parked somewhere else. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. It seems there is a corporate answer for everything, even if they contradict each other. Park close/ but don't park where you'll be hit. Don't run/ make 9.5 an 11 hr dispatch

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
About five yrs, and two center managers , ago I was backed into a parking spot in front of a pizza place. I had 12 boxes of door hangers (50 lbs each) and I'm humpin them out the back of the pkg. car. The delivery kid comes out, we exchange hellos, and he backs out and cuts the wheels to soon. He smacks my front quarter panel and cracks it. I call the center and the first thing my sup says is "Did you have your flashers on?" Because we all know the flashers throw up an impenetrable force field around your vehicle and repel little toyota pick up trucks! The police came, filed a report, and UPS agreed it wasn't my fault and it was unavoidable. But it took a while to reach that point. For two weeks after the accident it looked like it was going on my record. I filed a greviance insisting it couldn't be my fault if I wasn't in the vehicle. UPS agreed at a local hearing. If I had parked in a remote area of the lot and hauled the boxes 50 yards I would have been told "park close" I think corporate has an answer for everything.. even if the answers contradict each other.... don't run, but do 20 stops an hour.........and mgmt will pull out whichever little saying neccesary to place blame squarely on the driver. I know most drivers feel the same way. And if you're a driver who doesn't, just wait, it happens to all of us sooner or later. Leddy, don't sweat it either way, the outcome (whatever they decide) is unavoidable!

ent I thought it was going on my record as being my fault, because I should have parked somewhere else. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. It seems there is a corporate answer for everything, even if they contradict each other. Park close/ but don't park where you'll be hit. Don't run/ make 9.5 an 11 hr dispatch

I'm sorry about the last paragraph, I don't know how my post ended up so jumbled... but I'm sure it was avoidable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink2:

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
I had 3 unavoidable accidents in 2007...But in 2005 a fire hydrant jumped in front of me and that was avoidable...go figure.
I had that same hydrant hit me years ago and i wasn't charged....but in the current environement "every accident is avoidable" ...We're all going to have to start buying our own WALLETS from here on out.:happy-very:

Skippy262

One Time I had a sup. riding me. He gets out and gets behind the truck and is guiding me into the loading area to make a delivery. He is waving me to keep backing up and makes me back up into a dumpster. Guess what it was my fault and I was charged with the accident no damage to anything and the Union did nothing to stop UPS from charging me with the accident. I said I was working as directed since the sup was waving me to keep backing up when he directed me into the dumpster. Still charged with the accident and lost several yrs safe driving as I said the Union did NOTHING.

71chevy

I have an uncle who owns a number of convenience stores between Austin and San Antonio Texas. When ever we get together at family functions, he likes to tell me how he handles the UPS guys that deliver to his business office and other stops in the same complex. He has been blocked in so many times that he turned the tables. When ever he pulls into his place of business, and the UPS truck is there, he finds a way to park his truck and block them in. He goes in and within a few minutes, the brown guy is in the office pleading with him to move. He says that most of the guys who run the route know not to follow company policy at his place, but the rookies have to learn the hard way. HE can be an "Old Goat"

supercool

I have an uncle who owns a number of convenience stores between Austin and San Antonio Texas. When ever we get together at family functions, he likes to tell me how he handles the UPS guys that deliver to his business office and other stops in the same complex. He has been blocked in so many times that he turned the tables. When ever he pulls into his place of business, and the UPS truck is there, he finds a way to park his truck and block them in. He goes in and within a few minutes, the brown guy is in the office pleading with him to move. He says that most of the guys who run the route know not to follow company policy at his place, but the rookies have to learn the hard way. HE can be an "Old Goat"
He doesn't have to get his packages, either, though.

I would just call a tow truck...Take my lunch...Then be on my way.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The day a UPS truck blocks me in and I have to leave is the day the UPS truck gets a steel blade to the sidewall.

:lol:....I don't know why but this is just very, very funny. Cruel but I'm not entirely certain its universally undeserved. I've seen some 'delivery jockeys' really block people in.

He was a great sup. but the 'bravo sierra' got to him and he quit...

:::Grunts:::. Leddy, the best supes usually go elsewhere. The ones that don't somehow manage to bury their consciences and morals. I had a p/t supe in Illinois that everyone hated because he was one tough SOB. I got to know him working his area and he was really a man of character. He left UPS for truly greener pastures about 2 years ago.

He doesn't have to get his packages, either, though.

LOL.....I'd feel really bad for the telephone center person that has to take this call. If I were the telephone person and you were in the same city as I, your center manager might get a copy of the recorded coversation. It would probably mean nothing to him but I'd be one p*ssed phone person! And you know....its attitudes like this that are costing your company customers! :angry:.

I would just call a tow truck...Take my lunch...Then be on my way.

ROFLMAO....I can see you getting a very, very hostile glare from the respective person the next time you pulled into that establishment to say the least. Still...your boss would be happy you took your lunch rather than just sitting there waiting for the tow-truck :happy-very:. -Rocky

LeddySS98

I had the big meeting today where they went over the accident and i had to recite all the DOK information... I had to sit there and listen to the on road list off all the things I had done wrong on the day he road with me, and I just had to sit there and state that yes i will strive to improve on the things listed...What a crapshoot...

And then I got told these stories about UPS drivers running red lights killing people, losing legs, and arms...And all i did was get hit while i was parked... It's like i'm getting charged for murder for Jaywalking or something.

Do you think I could disprove his accusations by asking for a second ride along with a different manager... or is it just water under the bridge at this point, leave it and be done with it???:angry:

JARHEAD

And...That's rite!
Remember what you see in a mob flick when close pals had to kill one another for something? then one of them would say " I always liked so and so, but this is all about BUSINESS." No matter how good of a relationship you think you have with your management team, you must ALWAYS watch your own back. It doesn't matter if you can do 200 stops before lunch, it doesn't matter you skipped lunch for the past 5 years and delivered 50 additional stops each day. Once you hurt their numbers by having an accident, they will move in for the kill and put you in your place. It's all up to you to change that, you can't change them but you can certaintly do something to work at a safer pace, and take the extra minute to find a better place to park. Remember, this is a business afterall, know your roll, play it well........good luck to you.

I will surely file this in the memory bank for future references. I'm starting to get tried of bustin' the nuts for the business. Old habits are hard to break. USMC mentality!!!