Part time Courier Houston

oftpilot

Hey guys I recently applied for a (non DOT) Part time courier position in Houston. It specified that it was a LKSA station if that matters. The posting however did not mention schedules/shifts at all. If anyone on here could provide a little insight I'd be appreciative.

Star B

White Lightening
that's something you're going to have to ask during the interview.

Our part-time couriers are treated like swings, but without the swing pay, but they have the option to 6 and leave.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hey guys I recently applied for a (non DOT) Part time courier position in Houston. It specified that it was a LKSA station if that matters. The posting however did not mention schedules/shifts at all. If anyone on here could provide a little insight I'd be appreciative.
No one here can answer your questions. Only the managers at that station.

oftpilot

Ok guys thanks for the feedback. I guess there is not standardization among shift schedules. Well Hopefully I'll get an interview to be able to discuss it. I know you can't say what they will be but is anyone able to say what they may be or likely are?

AB831

Ok guys thanks for the feedback. I guess there is not standardization among shift schedules. Well Hopefully I'll get an interview to be able to discuss it. I know you can't say what they will be but is anyone able to say what they may be or likely are?
No one in the company has any clue how to communicate effectively. You’ll be smarter than anyone conducting your interview, so tell them what your availability is, and if they don’t like it, they can find someone else. Anything you commit to up front is inked in blood and will become immutable. Don’t let them weasel you into taking something you don’t actually want.

Star B

White Lightening
No one in the company has any clue how to communicate effectively. You’ll be smarter than anyone conducting your interview, so tell them what your availability is, and if they don’t like it, they can find someone else. Anything you commit to up front is inked in blood and will become immutable. Don’t let them weasel you into taking something you don’t actually want.
and even if you dont commit to it "operational needs" comes into play..

oftpilot

Understood, thanks.

McFeely

Huge Member

The station you’re interviewing at might actually have more than one position available as a PT’er. If they offer you a position the schedule be on your offer letter. If they have 5 positions available and you’re the first one offered a position, you might even get to pick the one that best meets your schedule.
When I started as a PT’er, my background check came back quicker than another guy so I got a M-friend morning shift. The next guy got T-S.

oftpilot

The station you’re interviewing at might actually have more than one position available as a PT’er. If they offer you a position the schedule be on your offer letter. If they have 5 positions available and you’re the first one offered a position, you might even get to pick the one that best meets your schedule.
When I started as a PT’er, my background check came back quicker than another guy so I got a M-friend morning shift. The next guy got T-S.
Thats encouraging. What does a part time Courier morning shift look like 0300-1100/ 0600-1200? The reason I'm trying to gather all of this info is I plan on visiting the station I've already applied to in person with a resume to try and get on the radar. If I'm lucky and the conversation comes up I'd like to state what my preferences are. Also If I can determine what the shifts are likely to be I can come up with a plan to make sure my other job doesn't conflict.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thats encouraging. What does a part time Courier morning shift look like 0300-1100/ 0600-1200? The reason I'm trying to gather all of this info is I plan on visiting the station I've already applied to in person with a resume to try and get on the radar. If I'm lucky and the conversation comes up I'd like to state what my preferences are. Also If I can determine what the shifts are likely to be I can come up with a plan to make sure my other job doesn't conflict.
Showing up with a resume won’t do you any good. Most stations have a district HR that looks through online applications and gives the info to the stations, while also scheduling their interview days. There is no way anyone here would know what shift they’re hiring for or what the hours are. We have AM, midday, and PM shifts. There is no standardization in shifts or even start times. Best I can recommend is to tell them what your hours at your other job are and hope they have a shift available that works with it.

MassWineGuy

And don’t forget to ask what, if any, other pt shifts there are.

The company’s freight distribution and many driver shifts are changing a lot next week.

McFeely

Huge Member
What does a part time Courier morning shift look like 0300-1100/ 0600-1200?

Depends on what time Houston gets its freight from the local ramp. My station's PT routes are roughly 0700-1200 schedule. We have some FO (First Overnight) drivers that are more like 0600-1100. We also have one PT guy who shuttles to/from the airport and he starts his 5 hour shift at roughly 0500.

PT positions in the afternoon also depend on what time the Houston station needs to get their truck out of the building to get to the airport. Some stations have their truck pull late (like 2100), where others have to have their freight on a truck by 1900 or even before that. It all depends on distance to the airport (ramp) and flight schedules.

It isn't like Ground where there are trailers of stuff showing up all day and they get unloaded on the night shift or early in the am. Express gets flights daily and that stuff is unloaded/delivered daily.

oftpilot

Run away, learn a trade, start your own business some day. Thank me later
I'm actually in a little different situation. I'm a current regional airline pilot that is trying to get on with Fedex. Fedex is literally THE primo flying job in the world, for a lot of reasons. They generally hire Astronauts, Air Force One guys, and Carrier Pilots. I'm a blue collar second career guy who can't compete with that kind of pedigree but I'm not afraid of work. After 6 months online as a permanent part timer I'll be able to apply internally skip the line and get an interview. Getting an interview is by far the hardest part as there are over 18,000 apps on file. I know I'll have to finish my year commitment If I'm lucky enough to make the cut but that's a small price to pay for my dream job. Anyways I really appreciate all of the advice and input and I'll continue to troll around this board to see what else I can learn.