Part time managment and ESTA certification

gimax69

I have a couple of questions, I work for ups as a part time supervisor. I also I'm a 100% disabled veteran due to my activity in Iraq, ups hired me knowing this. I'm for my first ESTA certification, I have been studying and studying and I got about 80% of it down, and today I was suppose to take it again, my short term memory is shot, I have tried and tried, I told the safety guy I had to go see my PTSD COUNSELER, and he said that therapist does not pay your bills, you need to know or don't come to work. My PTSD is well documented, the distinct manger does about it, and if they fire me because of that I'm thinking of filing suit against UPS for firing me because of my disabilities, I understand that ESTA certification is a condition of employment, but they have to make reasonable accommodations, epically if they say they are veteran friendly. What are you guys thought on this topic, I need help

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
why would you apply to be a supervisor if you can't hack the responsibilities dude?

you will be responsible for training other people, you have to know your **** 100% so they do too. "reasonable accommodation" won't mean much if you can't train an employee properly in safe work methods, they get hurt, and the safety train rolls down on both of you

if your PTSD affects your work, you really ought to stay on the union side

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I have a couple of questions, I work for ups as a part time supervisor. I also I'm a 100% disabled veteran due to my activity in Iraq, ups hired me knowing this. I'm for my first ESTA certification, I have been studying and studying and I got about 80% of it down, and today I was suppose to take it again, my short term memory is shot, I have tried and tried, I told the safety guy I had to go see my PTSD COUNSELER, and he said that therapist does not pay your bills, you need to know or don't come to work. My PTSD is well documented, the distinct manger does about it, and if they fire me because of that I'm thinking of filing suit against UPS for firing me because of my disabilities, I understand that ESTA certification is a condition of employment, but they have to make reasonable accommodations, epically if they say they are veteran friendly. What are you guys thought on this topic, I need help

Send me a message.
I can help you.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm willing to bet that in hiring a veteran rated at 100%, UPS has some level of protection against lawsuits, otherwise you'd be completely unemployable.

p228

You don't need a 100% to pass ESTA, I believe its about 80%. The odds of them firing you over a certification are pretty slim. If you were told that by a safety sup that just proves my point, he has neither the power nor authority to do so.

why would you apply to be a supervisor if you can't hack the responsibilities dude?

you will be responsible for training other people, you have to know your **** 100% so they do too. "reasonable accommodation" won't mean much if you can't train an employee properly in safe work methods, they get hurt, and the safety train rolls down on both of you

Reciting something verbatim doesn't prove you can or can't do the job. For example, when the methods evals (ojs) changed the job didn't. People couldn't recite the methods ad nauseam anymore. So, technically no one knew how to do the job anymore. Did injuries sky rocket? Nope. Knowing how to do the job safely and being able to recite line after line are not one in the same. Most of what is memorized is only to be forgotten days later. If you understand the fundamentals of the job you can ensure you have a safe work environment. It's not rocket science. A ten page packet on how to unload a trailer is overkill.

menotyou

bella amicizia

if your PTSD affects your work, you really ought to stay on the union side
UPS expects 100% no matter what side you work for. (I love how he says union side-less kool aid, dude)

Sadly, UPS has no legal standing as far as the 100% rule. It's amazing how fast the center manager will correct the dispatcher when his trap starts forming these words.

Can you say living large, boys and girls? That's what you'll be doing if you catch them pulling this crap.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Reciting something verbatim doesn't prove you can or can't do the job. For example, when the methods evals (ojs) changed the job didn't. People couldn't recite the methods ad nauseam anymore. So, technically no one knew how to do the job anymore. Did injuries sky rocket? Nope. Knowing how to do the job safely and being able to recite line after line are not one in the same. Most of what is memorized is only to be forgotten days later. If you understand the fundamentals of the job you can ensure you have a safe work environment. It's not rocket science. A ten page packet on how to unload a trailer is overkill.

if he cant rememeber any of it, how is he supposed to train someone else?

there is a lot covered in ESTA that is not normally brought up in a day of work, so experience isnt good enough, but it must still be taught

p228

if he cant rememeber any of it, how is he supposed to train someone else?

Someone obviously thought he could do the job pretty well as hourly or I doubt he would have been promoted. Let him carry a SWM form around if he can't remember everything.

there is a lot covered in ESTA that is not normally brought up in a day of work, so experience isnt good enough, but it must still be taught

Maybe he will catch on with every redundant certification he will have to fill out after ESTA; evac, egress, conveyor securing, etc.

As menotyou said, less kool aid dude.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Someone obviously thought he could do the job pretty well as hourly or I doubt he would have been promoted. Let him carry a SWM form around if he can't remember everything.

hahahahahahahaha, come on, we all know better than that

Maybe he will catch on with every redundant certification he will have to fill out after ESTA; evac, egress, conveyor securing, etc.

no he'll probably keep trying to pull the disabled vet card

As menotyou said, less kool aid dude.

Reciting something verbatim doesn't prove you can or can't do the job. For example, when the methods evals (ojs) changed the job didn't. People couldn't recite the methods ad nauseam anymore. So, technically no one knew how to do the job anymore. Did injuries sky rocket? Nope. Knowing how to do the job safely and being able to recite line after line are not one in the same. Most of what is memorized is only to be forgotten days later. If you understand the fundamentals of the job you can ensure you have a safe work environment. It's not rocket science. A ten page packet on how to unload a trailer is overkill.[/QUOTE

It's unfortunate that you think it's just "reciting" the information. Ones absolute to state the methods with the verbiage that is provided and the ability to explain using your own words proves that you thoroughly understand what your expected to know and expected to teach. What about when an employee asks a question that challenges the methods and why they believe it not to be important your gonna say "just do it because its safe"? No you should be able to state the specific method and why it's important . This is experience talking.

p228

It's unfortunate that you think it's just "reciting" the information.

That's what it is, by definition.
"reciting"
  1. Repeat aloud or declaim (a poem or passage) from memory before an audience.
  2. State (names, facts, etc.) in order.

Ones absolute to state the methods with the verbiage that is provided and the ability to explain using your own words proves that you thoroughly understand what your expected to know and expected to teach. What about when an employee asks a question that challenges the methods and why they believe it not to be important your gonna say "just do it because its safe"? No you should be able to state the specific method and why it's important . This is experience talking.

Its hardly in ones own words. Need proof? Look at the weekly employee observations. The comments are in your own words to the extent that you write exactly what the auditors want to see which is the benefit/consequence taken from the methods manual.

I can tell you a benefit and consequence to every method that pertains to my work area. However, since I have not looked at the OJS in several months I would be hard pressed to name each and every element on the sheet verbatim. You don't train an employee in every method in ten minutes but that is the time you are expected to recite the methods eval.

p228

TearsInRain said:
hahahahahahahaha, come on, we all know better than that

no he'll probably keep trying to pull the disabled vet card

Some managers/FT sups like to rubber stamp promotions just to fill slots, a poor way of doing things. We have plenty of hourlies that have no chance of being promoted because of their poor attitudes and attendance. They are told why they aren't getting promoted presently so they have the chance to improve but most don't. There are already plenty of part time sups with the 'I don't give a friend-' attitude. We don't need more.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
TIR,

I can't believe you showed that much disrespect to a disabled (and possibly decorated) veteran on an open internet forum.

With an attitude like that, I doubt you will ever be more than a part-time bossman, if you can even keep that lofty position.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
TIR,

I can't believe you showed that much disrespect to a disabled (and possibly decorated) veteran on an open internet forum.

With an attitude like that, I doubt you will ever be more than a part-time bossman, if you can even keep that lofty position.

what disrespect? if he can't hack the job, he shouldn't apply for it; there are tons of other jobs i'm sure he's qualified for

and he's not the only person who's been in the military dude, and it's not a get-out-of-everything card like many civilians seem to believe

Justaname

what disrespect? if he can't hack the job, he shouldn't apply for it; there are tons of other jobs i'm sure he's qualified for

and he's not the only person who's been in the military dude, and it's not a get-out-of-everything card like many civilians seem to believe
I know I'm not qualified to sit on my ass all day.