Part time poverty

Heavy Package

How do you expect to hire quality employees at 10 bucks an hour to unload trucks at 3 in the morning for 3 hours a day?

Benefits and job flexibility. But I agree the average thug 18-25 yr old dropout loser that they get doesn't care about this.

The "smart" PT'ers (Of which I started as in preload) get it. To "make a career" out of UPS you need to be here for the benefits, pension, flexibility, job security, wanting to go FT driver, schooling, or get into entry level management.

Part time is not meant to support your drug addition, pimped-out car, baby momma, or on-line GED. Some people on here need to get over it and recognize that $10 (starting) w. benefits and a pension and the rest of your day to do something else can be a great gig. The problem is that the kids don't get it and don't have the work ethic to care about doing a good job, let alone show up.

If the contract bumps up PT starting wage to $13/hr that is really a fair offer considering what the benefits are as well. Just stating the facts.

Satuirus2000

Geez. I never realized there was this much disdain of PT workers from FT. You'd think giving PTs a starting wage of $15 was the worse thing in the history of the world with the way some are carrying on. The company will be just fine if they do so.

Besides, I fell like all this talk is kinda pointless. Does it matter if people think millennials are lazy, lack a work ethic, don't deserve $15 an hour for a PT gig etc etc.? The reality is that UPS can't keep any PT to do the job. People at McDonalds or other PT jobs and what not may say they need $15 a hour and you all may think they don't deserve it, but last I checked they're not having problems filling those positions. Despite the dissatisfaction with pay, fast food joints, Targets, Walmarts etc aren't having staffing issues like UPS as far as I am aware, so UPS is in a unique position in comparison to its competition.

Telling UPS PTs to suck it up and appreciate what they have or whatever isn't the answer and it's obvious that hasn't worked. I don't know if $15 an hour is gonna make a real change, but UPS has gotta do something else besides twiddling their thumbs and saying what they're offering currently is good enough, cause if it were, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Geez. I never realized there was this much disdain of PT workers from FT. You'd think giving PTs a starting wage of $15 was the worse thing in the history of the world with the way some are carrying on. The company will be just fine if they do so.

Besides, I fell like all this talk is kinda pointless. Does it matter if people think millennials are lazy, lack a work ethic, don't deserve $15 an hour for a PT gig etc etc.? The reality is that UPS can't keep any PT to do the job. People at McDonalds or other PT jobs and what not may say they need $15 a hour and you all may think they don't deserve it, but last I checked they're not having problems filling those positions. Despite the dissatisfaction with pay, fast food joints, Targets, Walmarts etc aren't having staffing issues like UPS as far as I am aware, so UPS is in a unique position in comparison to its competition.

Telling UPS PTs to suck it up and appreciate what they have or whatever isn't the answer and it's obvious that hasn't worked. I don't know if $15 an hour is gonna make a real change, but UPS has gotta do something else besides twiddling their thumbs and saying what they're offering currently is good enough, cause if it were, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now.

The most vocal person putting down pt'ers is a retired, self-proclaimed coke addict/millionaire, with no skin in the game, stirring the pot. Most of the rest of us agree that pt workers need a raise.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
The most vocal person putting down pt'ers is a retired, self-proclaimed coke addict/millionaire, with no skin in the game, stirring the pot. Most of the rest of us agree that pt workers need a raise.
Addicts have a problem.
I have used cocaine socially for 40 years.
I don't have a problem

Chaos

I Am The Devil
I have met plenty of happy people in my life that society deems poor. Money can't buy happiness. I think the recent suicides of the past two weeks bears that out.

Anyone who says money can’t buy happiness is broke.

I suppose it comes down to where your priorities are.

unloady

How do you expect to hire quality employees at 10 bucks an hour to unload trucks at 3 in the morning for 3 hours a day?

Benefits and job flexibility. But I agree the average thug 18-25 yr old dropout loser that they get doesn't care about this.

The "smart" PT'ers (Of which I started as in preload) get it. To "make a career" out of UPS you need to be here for the benefits, pension, flexibility, job security, wanting to go FT driver, schooling, or get into entry level management.

Part time is not meant to support your drug addition, pimped-out car, baby momma, or on-line GED. Some people on here need to get over it and recognize that $10 (starting) w. benefits and a pension and the rest of your day to do something else can be a great gig. The problem is that the kids don't get it and don't have the work ethic to care about doing a good job, let alone show up.

If the contract bumps up PT starting wage to $13/hr that is really a fair offer considering what the benefits are as well. Just stating the facts.

That is part of the problem. I totally get where your coming from. Half of my hub are meth heads and ex cons or just entitled highschoolers who live with mommy and daddy still. This is a union job, and it should attract quality workers who want to be here and do their best. The part that frusturates me the most is when my supervisors give me :censored2: for having to leave at a certain time to work my fulltime job just to scrape by. They always say "choose your career this is a real job" and im just like how tf do you expect me to live on less than $200 a week. You give me :censored2: for having to leave after almost 4 hours but you send new hires and people that i have 2 years seniority over home early. The excuse is "well its because they suck and cant perform the job" not my damn fault.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That is part of the problem. I totally get where your coming from. Half of my hub are meth heads and ex cons or just entitled highschoolers who live with mommy and daddy still. This is a union job, and it should attract quality workers who want to be here and do their best. The part that frusturates me the most is when my supervisors give me :censored2: for having to leave at a certain time to work my fulltime job just to scrape by. They always say "choose your career this is a real job" and im just like how tf do you expect me to live on less than $200 a week. You give me :censored2: for having to leave after almost 4 hours but you send new hires and people that i have 2 years seniority over home early. The excuse is "well its because they suck and cant perform the job" not my damn fault.

Sounds like they need the practice.

A good guy

I dont mind much for a pay increase. 10 years ago here in az the minimum wage was 7.50 and in your first year at ups (at the time) you could be making close t 10 dollars your first year.

I also dont mind extremely desperate people getting hired for preload then give me 8 misloads a day. Having an extra 1 1/2 hour of work is fine with me.