Part-Time Preload During Peak - OT

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
if he leaves who will pay his rent and car insurance?
I'm 29, and I have two jobs now. My previous job paid $22 an hour but it the company moved overseas. Before that I had a salaried part time job (25-30 hours a week). Had benefits, paid vacation, and everything else UPS offers. I made 34k a year doing that. I'm financially stable. I'm not trying to leave UPS but I'm not passing out on relatively simple full time gig that'll pay me approximately $29 hundred a month over one that'll pay may $640 a month ten months out of the year, and maybe $2000-$2200 during peak.
I just posed this question to see how other people might of handled a similar scenario in their buildings.
So maybe stop being a judgmental :censored2:cannon.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm losing my Peak Season Cherry!

I got a question. Some people said they started as hour as 1:00 AM last year. I'm just wondering if I have to show up so far in advance of normal starting time. I'm not trying to miss out and gain some Zzzz but I might take another job in addition to UPS. They're located fairly close by, but I wouldn't be able to come in before 3:15-3:30 AM. Most of my supervisors are pretty reasonable but I feel they might see this as a dick move on my part. Is there anything in the union contract that states I have to come in at the announced start time or that protects me and allows me to come in later.
all you can do is run it by your supervisor and see what they say

DRporch

I'm 29, and I have two jobs now. My previous job paid $22 an hour but it the company moved overseas. Before that I had a salaried part time job (25-30 hours a week). Had benefits, paid vacation, and everything else UPS offers. I made 34k a year doing that. I'm financially stable. I'm not trying to leave UPS but I'm not passing out on relatively simple full time gig that'll pay me approximately $29 hundred a month over one that'll pay may $640 a month ten months out of the year, and maybe $2000-$2200 during peak.
I just posed this question to see how other people might of handled a similar scenario in their buildings.
no reason to stick around unless you got a degree for management or to drive. anything else is wasting your time.

W

What The Hawk?

I'm losing my Peak Season Cherry!

I got a question. Some people said they started as hour as 1:00 AM last year. I'm just wondering if I have to show up so far in advance of normal starting time. I'm not trying to miss out and gain some Zzzz but I might take another job in addition to UPS. They're located fairly close by, but I wouldn't be able to come in before 3:15-3:30 AM. Most of my supervisors are pretty reasonable but I feel they might see this as a dick move on my part. Is there anything in the union contract that states I have to come in at the announced start time or that protects me and allows me to come in later.
If you can't be there when they need you (at start time), you're not an asset to them and not needed. You work for them, they don't work for you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Doesent seem like a hard decision to me

But I dunno....

TheFigurehead

If you can't be there when they need you (at start time), you're not an asset to them and not needed. You work for them, they don't work for you.

Supply v Demand doesn't go out the window when we move to discussing jobs from discussing real goods. UPS is in desperate need of employees for peak (and the rest of the year, frankly). The supply of employees who will stay more than a week or two is near zero (1 in 20 new inside employees left by the 90 day mark?)... as such UPS' demand far outweighs the supply of willing people naive enough to be duped into working for UPS seasonally as an inside employee. This puts OP at an advantage, and if he's proven himself a decent employee, I bet he's got a good chance of getting what he wants. His second job is only an issue during peak season, and if they like him, he'll be coming in late.

This sort of thing doesn't happen in package or feeders, obviously, but it is fairly common with inside part timers.

W

What The Hawk?

Supply v Demand doesn't go out the window when we move to discussing jobs from discussing real goods. UPS is in desperate need of employees for peak (and the rest of the year, frankly). The supply of employees who will stay more than a week or two is near zero (1 in 20 new inside employees left by the 90 day mark?)... as such UPS' demand far outweighs the supply of willing people naive enough to be duped into working for UPS seasonally as an inside employee. This puts OP at an advantage, and if he's proven himself a decent employee, I bet he's got a good chance of getting what he wants. His second job is only an issue during peak season, and if they like him, he'll be coming in late.

This sort of thing doesn't happen in package or feeders, obviously, but it is fairly common with inside part timers.
I highly doubt that. I'm sure others have asked to come in late only to be shut down. Besides, he would want to come in late because of another job, that wouldn't fly with UPS.

TheFigurehead

I highly doubt that. I'm sure others have asked to come in late only to be shut down. Besides, he would want to come in late because of another job, that wouldn't fly with UPS.

It happens at my hub... can't speak for yours... but I'm there every day, and see it happen. I know plenty of people with arrangements with their supervisors. Again, it might not happen at your hub (chances are it does, often, and you just don't know about it), but it may well at OP's.

W

What The Hawk?

It happens at my hub... can't speak for yours... but I'm there every day, and see it happen. I know plenty of people with arrangements with their supervisors. Again, it might not happen at your hub (chances are it does, often, and you just don't know about it), but it may well at OP's.
It doesn't, we have staggerd starts.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
It doesn't, we have staggerd starts.
Look, I work preload during the week. Been there going on 8-9 months. We've started as early 4:30 and as late 5:30. Typical start is 5:00-5:15. We have to finish 8:30-9. I was hired as a part time worker. I currently have another job that runs from 10-5.
I don't mind preload. I got probably the 4-5 worst pull at most. I take care of my lane, and multiple drivers have complimented me. It's organized, it's tight. I don't really care about that. There's definitely some people who don't understand numerical order from what I've seen while helping people out.
Again, I took a part time job. That shouldn't I have to work 9 hours for two months instead of the usual 3.5. Even if they get someone to cover me for peak, I'd still come. It's up to them to accept whether or not I can't start until after 3. In my time, they've never been as short staffed and poorly staffed as they are right now.
It's not like my job is saving people's lives. I'm making rich people richer and getting lazy people's toilet paper delivered on time.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
8DC4EDC7-E845-4A9D-9A14-D0642A3B8507.gif
Look, I work preload during the week. Been there going on 8-9 months. We've started as early 4:30 and as late 5:30. Typical start is 5:00-5:15. We have to finish 8:30-9. I was hired as a part time worker. I currently have another job that runs from 10-5.
I don't mind preload. I got probably the 4-5 worst pull at most. I take care of my lane, and multiple drivers have complimented me. It's organized, it's tight. I don't really care about that. There's definitely some people who don't understand numerical order from what I've seen while helping people out.
Again, I took a part time job. That shouldn't I have to work 9 hours for two months instead of the usual 3.5. Even if they get someone to cover me for peak, I'd still come. It's up to them to accept whether or not I can't start until after 3. In my time, they've never been as short staffed and poorly staffed as they are right now.
It's not like my job is saving people's lives. I'm making rich people richer and getting lazy people's toilet paper delivered on time.

Over 70

100% agree with you. I wouldn't "ask". I'd tell your supervisor what's going to happen and let the chips fall where they may. Their loss.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Locally ( here) , UPS can only force you to come in 1 hour before, or 1 hour after your scheduled start time. Or more simply, they can change your start time ~1hr. That is at least a local/supplement thing but see if your region has it. I've played this card before and it's definitely valid, again at least locally.

If my start time is say 4am, I have no obligation to report before 3am. UPS supervisors, or management, would LOVE for people to believe that you are beholden to whatever they want, but again check your contract language and past practice.

I am assuming the OP is part-time, which makes the above even more valid. It's a part-time job, "peak" or not.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Locally ( here) , UPS can only force you to come in 1 hour before, or 1 hour after your scheduled start time. Or more simply, they can change your start time ~1hr. That is at least a local/supplement thing but see if your region has it. I've played this card before and it's definitely valid, again at least locally.

If my start time is say 4am, I have no obligation to report before 3am. UPS supervisors, or management, would LOVE for people to believe that you are beholden to whatever they want, but again check your contract language and past practice.

I am assuming the OP is part-time, which makes the above even more valid. It's a part-time job, "peak" or not.

You may want to re-read your supplement.

Start time changes of less than an hour only required 24 hour notice-----those of 1 hour or more require 3 days notice.

W

What The Hawk?

Your point?

DRporch

what does this matter? start time during peak will be 10pm?

4evapreloader

Your posts sir, are really odd. Peak start times on the preload in my building vary from 3 AM to 11 PM the previous night. Of course technology savvy UPS timecards cannot handle start times earlier than midnight.