Part Time TCD, Is This Possible????...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So out of those five years you worked as a cover driver, did you at all have to work in the hub when there were no route for you to cover? I'm just trying to get the slightest idea of maybe how much hub work I may do... but seeing as to how bad they need drivers, I don't think I'll be in the hub to often.

I was a casual (cover) driver for 11 months. Casuals are not guaranteed to work every day and only receive their daily guarantee if they are on road. I never worked a day in the hub-----I had side jobs delivering auto parts and stocking shelves at a grocery store.

I would show up to work each and every day dressed and ready to go. More often than not I could find someone who wanted to take the day off.

I worked just over 1,000 hours in my first year, which started in April 1989, which was just enough for a full year of pension credit.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
I was a casual (cover) driver for 11 months. Casuals are not guaranteed to work every day and only receive their daily guarantee if they are on road. I never worked a day in the hub-----I had side jobs delivering auto parts and stocking shelves at a grocery store.

I would show up to work each and every day dressed and ready to go. More often than not I could find someone who wanted to take the day off.

I worked just over 1,000 hours in my first year, which started in April 1989, which was just enough for a full year of pension credit.

NICE!!!

DOK

Sounds like they want to keep you on call for shuttling or mini routes punched in as a 3C (temp driver, no 8 hour guarantee). TCD is a full time position in that if/when you are worked you're guaranteed 8 hours if you want them (4C).

Maybe the hub is just being honest with you in that you'd work full days but only 2 or 3 days a week. But probably not. No such thing as a "part time TCD" as far as I know.

The "pert time tcd " means just that, classification is part time, benefits and pension is part time. When you're not driving (covering a regular route when someone is on vaca or sick) you're working part time on the local sort until needed.

That's how it is around here, the bottom 10 guys or so out of 50 total drivers are considered part time tcd. I'm sure it's different elsewhere.

Box Ox

The "pert time tcd " means just that, classification is part time, benefits and pension is part time. When you're not driving (covering a regular route when someone is on vaca or sick) you're working part time on the local sort until needed.

Sure, I did years of that before I went full time. But "Full Time TCD" is all I've ever known it as. Since you're entitled to 8 when you report and run 5 days a week if needed. The OP seems to think there's a difference between a part time TCD and a full time TCD. There's not.

Cementups

Box Monkey
...that's because there is no such things as a PT TCD....you are a PTer who works on the inside and drives as needed...

That is all supplemental. Here we have PT cover drivers. You are a driver first and foremost. But if you are not working one day as a driver you have the right to go inside and get hours to make up for lack of driving.

Box Ox

That is all supplemental. Here we have PT cover drivers. You are a driver first and foremost.

That sounds like more of a supplemental thing to me. Full time TCDs are outlined in the National Master. PT cover drivers aren't, as far as I know. Just PT air drivers. My location runs like Dave's and I'm in the south.

DOK

Sure, I did years of that before I went full time. But "Full Time TCD" is all I've ever known it as. Since you're entitled to 8 when you report and run 5 days a week if needed. The OP seems to think there's a difference between a part time TCD and a full time TCD. There's not.
Actually in or center there is. The top 2 cover drivers are full time, they're garaunteed 8 hours and have their pension and benefits covered by the union.

In reality the top 8 out of the 10 cover drivers should be full time as they work all year 40 hours a week. There's always multiple people off for comp, disability, vaca, sick etc. We got that put in our supplement a few contracts ago, that the top 2 are actually full time positions.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
If they need you in warehouse. You Will need to be there. Depends on volume and if they remember you exist

Right and I'm hoping if I possibly drive everyday, my supervisor (who I don't even know yet) will forget my face and will never need me regardless of volume is heavy or not lol! It's just wishful thinking???....

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

We have very similar starts to our careers. But it took me 10 yrs for full time. I made well over 1000 hrs for all 10 yrs. They played the game with me. Work me 29 days, lay off for one. Which is why they get not one thing extra from me now. They don't get much of a bonus off me

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have very similar starts to our careers. But it took me 10 yrs for full time. I made well over 1000 hrs for all 10 yrs. They played the game with me. Work me 29 days, lay off for one. Which is why they get not one thing extra from me now. They don't get much of a bonus off me

They were counting my days as well. As I recall it was 120 days and you were in.

Eye To Eye Contact.

Right and I'm hoping if I possibly drive everyday, my supervisor (who I don't even know yet) will forget my face and will never need me regardless of volume is heavy or not lol! It's just wishful thinking???....
Or just dont work hard when in warehouse then they won't even want you in there. Take the driving serious. Find senior drivers who wanna be at the house and drive for them. This will work until you start getting bumped.