Part Time TCD, Is This Possible????...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Says who??? Spoke to my FT sup yesterday and she informed me that even though I failed the road test for a TCD, If I could pass the road test this time around then I could drive seasonal. That was nice to know because I thought I would be disqualified for any driving for a year but I guess thats not the case at my hub. I probably won't road test though because I'm not sure I'll pass...

What's the worst that could happen? It's not like you 're going to lose your job if you fail.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Says who??? Spoke to my FT sup yesterday and she informed me that even though I failed the road test for a TCD, If I could pass the road test this time around then I could drive seasonal. That was nice to know because I thought I would be disqualified for any driving for a year but I guess thats not the case at my hub. I probably won't road test though because I'm not sure I'll pass...

You are not disqualified for a year for failing to pass a road test. You can retake it as many times as necessary until you pass it or until it is too late for the position to be filled and they fill it with someone who passed the road test.

You have nothing to lose. Take it again.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
:poop:
You are not disqualified for a year for failing to pass a road test. You can retake it as many times as necessary until you pass it or until it is too late for the position to be filled and they fill it with someone who passed the road test.

Will do! I was just told after the first failed test I couldn't take it again for a year... I hate when I get incorrect info especially for a job like this as it may have caused other missed opportunities. Just gotta figure :poop: out on your own sometimes I guess...

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Retiree...

You posted this

you are DQ'ed for one year for any job that requires a road test.

and then disagreed with the following post

Show me the language that says so.

I have personally been involved in more than one instance where an employee failed a road test and then retook shortly thereafter. This is because there is no contractual language stating what you claim.

Prove me wrong, if you can, instead of just posting a red X and not backing it up. If I disagree with someone, I will post a reason as to why I disagree and state facts to back my opinion.

You obviously have no facts to back you up, so you just click an X.

Retiree

what you describe may take place in you district but in the region I worked in for 36 years, a failed road test DQ'ed you for one year. The fact that there is no language in the contract supports my position more than it supports yours. It becomes more of a local practice as there is no language either way. So you get butt hurt when someone disagrees with you. How mature.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
what you describe may take place in you district but in the region I worked in for 36 years, a failed road test DQ'ed you for one year. The fact that there is no language in the contract supports my position more than it supports yours. It becomes more of a local practice as there is no language either way. So you get butt hurt when someone disagrees with you. How mature.

Times change. A lot of what happened "back in the day" has changed. And yes, different areas have different policies.

I believe the OP was told by his sup, that even though he just failed the road test, he can take it again. So, in the OP's area, you are not DQ'ed for a year if you fail the road test.

I would say that the area you were is was not the norm. In my area, and the OP's area, you are not DQ'ed for a year.

And I only get annoyed when someone who only bases his opinion on his own circumstance, not the majority, and who no longer works here and probably has no idea of what is going on these days.

I would not have had a problem if you would have just responded that, "in my area......"

Instead, you disagreed with a known fact, both in my area, and more importantly, the OP's area, you know, the one that asked the question?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

No language? Then there must be a local agreement.

I cannot believe that your local would agree to this. Not much fight in your local, huh?

Retiree

so, how many road tests have you performed? You think if a person who has never driven a standard transmission vehicle gets behind the wheel of a UPS vehicle and can't get off the parking lot can continue to take road test after road test. You will change your mind real fast.

Retiree

As far as "back in the day" being DQed one year after a road test is still in place today in the Red River district, the largest district in the domestic U.S. - based on number of employees. The union has no say in the matter. No language in the National Master or supplement. Post the language from your supplement that says there will be unlimited road tests.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
so, how many road tests have you performed? You think if a person who has never driven a standard transmission vehicle gets behind the wheel of a UPS vehicle and can't get off the parking lot can continue to take road test after road test. You will change your mind real fast.

The first failed road test is a wake up call. If he fails the road test, he is not eligible to be trained this time around.

But if the next driver intent sheet goes up months later, he can try again.

Hopefully, he will have practiced in a standard transmission vehicle in the mean time.

DQ'ing for a hear is rather harsh, as to why, in most areas, he is not DQ'ed for a year. Only until the next driver intent sheet goes up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
As far as "back in the day" being DQed one year after a road test is still in place today in the Red River district, the largest district in the domestic U.S. - based on number of employees. The union has no say in the matter. No language in the National Master or supplement. Post the language from your supplement that says there will be unlimited road tests.

There is no language. Except for DQ'ing himself or being DQ'ed for the second time.

And there being no language means an employee can grieve it, since it is in the scope of the unions bargaining, bidding, training and job selection. And the union does have a say.

UPS cannot just come up with a rule that you are DQ'ed for a year without any say from the union.

Apparently, your local agreed with the company, "back in the day."

It was grieved here, and since there was no language dealing with the situation, a local agreement was reached, as it should be anywhere that it is not covered in the contract.

Nothing against you, but I think your local screwed the pooch on this one.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
The first failed road test is a wake up call. If he fails the road test, he is not eligible to be trained this time around.

But if the next driver intent sheet goes up months later, he can try again.

Hopefully, he will have practiced in a standard transmission vehicle in the mean time.

DQ'ing for a hear is rather harsh, as to why, in most areas, he is not DQ'ed for a year. Only until the next driver intent sheet goes up.
Yep, I failed the first driving test in August, signed a seasonal driver intent bid sheet a few days ago, spoke to the HR lady who informed me I could road test again. I agree the first driving test was a wake up call and I definitely know what not to do this time around as I have practiced a few times.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yep, I failed the first driving test in August, signed a seasonal driver intent bid sheet a few days ago, spoke to the HR lady who informed me I could road test again. I agree the first driving test was a wake up call and I definitely know what not to do this time around as I have practiced a few times.

As it should be.

If you had trouble with the gears, find a manual car or truck and practice. You don't have to be perfect, but you must show that you at least know how to drive a stick. Smoothness will come with time. And UPS knows this.

If you had trouble with the size difference between a package car and a car, rent a truck and practice.

Good luck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Retiree...

You posted this

and then disagreed with the following post

Show me the language that says so.

I have personally been involved in more than one instance where an employee failed a road test and then retook shortly thereafter. This is because there is no contractual language stating what you claim.

Prove me wrong, if you can, instead of just posting a red X and not backing it up. If I disagree with someone, I will post a reason as to why I disagree and state facts to back my opinion.

You obviously have no facts to back you up, so you just click an X.
Have a co-worker who went to integrad and failed the road test, DQ'd for a year. Union won't back him.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
As it should be.

If you had trouble with the gears, find a manual car or truck and practice. You don't have to be perfect, but you must show that you at least know how to drive a stick. Smoothness will come with time. And UPS knows this.

If you had trouble with the size difference between a package car and a car, rent a truck and practice.

Good luck.
I actually took the test this morning and passed! Driving school starts 10/24/16. I'M FREAKIN STOKED!!!!