Part time Top Pay

allentownups

How much do package handlers get paid at top rate and how long does it take to get there? This would be out of the Bethlehem, PA. I don't want to be a driver, I just want the benny's. I know they start you out aronud $8.50-$9.50 over there but would like to hear the increases before I even bother going for the interview.

Thanks in advance!:peaceful:

drewed

Shankman
well since your bennie hunting....it takes a year to get bennies now
as for top rate for pt.... its somewhere in the 16 range, (please correct me if im wrong) but they dont follow progression they just get an annual 50 cent raise till they get top rate.

allentownups

$16 an hour isn't bad, I'll be happy with that. I thought it would be more after say 4 years. If anyone can verify any of this, I owe ya one.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

How is that possible, I have 7 years in and make 16.25 or around there. Are you telling me that if I was still part-time, I'd reach a top rate? Where is that in the contract?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a couple of part timers who are in the low $20's/hour. They have been with the company since the early 80's so it depends upon which contact was in effect when you were hired.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a couple of guys that are approaching 10 years, I'll ask them what they are making....

I was at $12.something when I signed my FT bid. If I remained pt, I would be making that, plus the annual raises. I am pretty sure it would be over $17 an hour. That's not bad for a pt gig.

TB

Ms.PacMan

Hello Allentownups :happy2:

There is a wage progression for part-timers. In the current contract for preloader/sorter, it is as follows:

Start $9.50
Start + 90 calendar days $10.50
Seniority + 1 year $11.00
Seniority + 2 years $11.50
Seniority + 3 years $12.00
Seniority + 4 years $12.87

$1 less for all other p/t.

In addition you would receive a general wage increase each year of the contract. The total wage increase (all p/t positions) for each year is as follows:

2008 $.70
2009 $.75
2010 $.75
2011 $.85
2012 $.95

Following wage progression you would continue getting the general wage increases until you retire.

Let's talk about pension since you are interested in benefits.

$1,925 at any age after 35 years of Credited Service (750 hrs/yr ~ roughly 15 hrs/week)
$1,650 at any age after 30 years of Credited Service
$1,375 at age 60 with 25 years of Credited Service
$1,125 at any age with 25 years of Credited Service

I strongly urge you to view part-time at UPS as long term employment.

We have a small handful of folks in the part time who have been there 30-35 years now, I know they are making in the high $20s to low $30s per hour. One guy just got his 35 in, he isn't gonna retire since he only works part-time. Why retire and take a job for less than $30/hr part time. He is in good shape, works the sort aisle still and plays in a soccer league, and does handyman work on the side.

drewed

Shankman
Id have to go with the which contract you were hired under, we have one guy thats been with the company about 10 years and he topped out at 18 (or 16) i cant remember he told me he wasnt getting raises anymore

steeltoe

I work in the Southern Region. Been with the company part-time right at 20 years and make $23.41. Top rate for our guys occur for any employee who was hired before 1982. Itis called being "red-circled" down here. Our pre 1982 guys make somewhere in the $27.00 range depending on Job classafication.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Agree...I know several part-timers who have 30+ years in and are making over $30.00 an hour.

30 years is 27+/hr roughly, by seniority time. I know this because of someone on this board who works an inside/outside combination job and their inside hours are by seniority.

I think it is funny that Drewed comes in and makes a bold statement saying TOP RATE IS 18/HR or whatever it is.

If you don't know something, don't say anything. Or at least mention you're guessing blindly and have no clue :censored2::censored2::censored2: you're talking about as to not confuse a wild uninformed guess and what is real.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Id have to go with the which contract you were hired under, we have one guy thats been with the company about 10 years and he topped out at 18 (or 16) i cant remember he told me he wasnt getting raises anymore

If you aren't in the union, then management can give you whatever they want to (or don't want to). I'm not sure about that though, but is that possible? I'm guessing you're in a right to work state.