Part time workers

Yes, $40 an hours is appealing, but I'm not that young and I'm not a man.......delivered for another off beat company before I came to UPS, not something I would like to do again. It was less stops than UPS does, but had to sort and load my own stuff. Warehouse is better for me for the long haul, not time to go. What would you guys do without us?? LOL!!
Whatcha mean by....."not that young".....??

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
New to forum, wondering why I see alot of negative comments regarding part time people. Don't know why this is.
Can someone please explain.

I'm part time, 2.5 years now, because it fits with my life right now. No, I don't live in my parent's basement, I'm not taken care of, I pay my own way and all that other stuff. I'm not at UPS to make a fortune, I live within my means, the health benefits are awesome and am very grateful for them cuz most part time jobs don't offer benefits.

The pay cut to $15 per hour was a shock however, cuz believe it or not, most of us were not informed, and whether or not it is in the contract, I and several other part timers where I work were never informed anything like this could ever happen. I thought I was doing good at UPS with the MRA's we received, but never knew it could be taken away at a moment's notice, and, if I would have known, I wouldn't have counted on it. Seems funny though how UPS has made record profits and feels it needs to take our MRA away now, when everything is chaos with Covid, inflation, housing, and all the crap going on in the world now. Sorry, but UPS is being very greedy, not looking out for everyone that made them their record breaking profits.

I think a huge problem at UPS, is that new people are not informed enough about the Union and the contract and all that they do. The only thing I knew in my first days, was I had to have 70 working days, then I could join, and I counted down the days, and joined. It wasn't until more than several months later that a Union Steward joined our dept and went to us and explained how everything worked. If he wouldn't have joined our dept., I wouldn't know anything more than what I did when I first joined. With that said, yes, I did go around asking people about it before he showed up, but nobody seemed to know anything....that was very weird.

There are also alot of comments about part timers not voting. I think it's because most of them aren't informed about the Union, and how important it is. It may just be here, cuz we are a RTW state, I don't know. I know I will be voting on the next contract, and plan to talk to part timers about voting.

Sorry so long for a first post...I'm sure I will get flack from it, LOL. It's ok, wanted to get my thoughts out with you all and say not all part timers are crappy and some of us do care.
A lot to unpack here. I’ll start with part timers lack of knowledge on the contract and how the union works. I get it, I was part time for a long time and never really paid attention. And why should you? After 15 years I was making around $20 an hour and only bringing home $3-$400 a week. I’m not dedicating my free time to read through and learn the entire contract only making that kind of money. When you get full time and hit top rate and start clearing those $16-$1,900 paychecks, then it’s worth it to know your rights. Money aside, I found management left me alone when I was part time as long as you showed up. That is not the case when you’re a driver. They nitpick everything so you need to know what they can and cannot get away with.

As far as losing the MRA, it sucks man but know that part timers are the only ones who got such a kickback. If they kept your rate at that, they would have to sweeten the deal BIG TIME with the drivers the next contract.

I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t hate part timers even though I’m one of the worst offenders here when it comes to busting y’alls balls. It’s just hazing the new guy and we all went through it.

Welcome to BC, hope you stick around and try not to take things too seriously here. We bust a lot of balls.

A lot to unpack here. I’ll start with part timers lack of knowledge on the contract and how the union works. I get it, I was part time for a long time and never really paid attention. And why should you? After 15 years I was making around $20 an hour and only bringing home $3-$400 a week. I’m not dedicating my free time to read through and learn the entire contract only making that kind of money. When you get full time and hit top rate and start clearing those $16-$1,900 paychecks, then it’s worth it to know your rights. Money aside, I found management left me alone when I was part time as long as you showed up. That is not the case when you’re a driver. They nitpick everything so you need to know what they can and cannot get away with.

As far as losing the MRA, it sucks man but know that part timers are the only ones who got such a kickback. If they kept your rate at that, they would have to sweeten the deal BIG TIME with the drivers the next contract.

I can’t speak for everyone but I don’t hate part timers even though I’m one of the worst offenders here when it comes to busting y’alls balls. It’s just hazing the new guy and we all went through it.

Welcome to BC, hope you stick around and try not to take things too seriously here. We bust a lot of balls.
TLDR

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
You're absolutely right in that full timers treat part timers as second rate citizens. The company tries to divide us at every turn. The contractual differences. How little educated most of the union is on the contract and our rights. How for the past 23 years, the Hoffa administration has ignored the unions wants and needs, especially part timers. The best way to control a populace is to keep them ignorant.
You are on the right path, educate yourself, and those around you to the union. What standing together, undivided, and how that gives us the power to stand up against a year after year record profit breaking company. You show up to work, do the job, follow the contract, don't make back door deals with mgmt. You protect yourself and those around you.

upser2020

Part timer doesn't always mean part time. I've been here just under 2 years and my first year averaged 43 hours a week and this past year 48. Plan is to keep that up until I can get a combo :)

PT Car Washer

Part timer doesn't always mean part time. I've been here just under 2 years and my first year averaged 43 hours a week and this past year 48. Plan is to keep that up until I can get a combo :)
I've been grossing over $1500/wk for January and February. Can't get delivery drivers to come to work. Maybe the company needs to offer a retention bonus.

PTSandwichMaker

New to forum, wondering why I see alot of negative comments regarding part time people. Don't know why this is.
Can someone please explain.

I'm part time, 2.5 years now, because it fits with my life right now. No, I don't live in my parent's basement, I'm not taken care of, I pay my own way and all that other stuff. I'm not at UPS to make a fortune, I live within my means, the health benefits are awesome and am very grateful for them cuz most part time jobs don't offer benefits.

The pay cut to $15 per hour was a shock however, cuz believe it or not, most of us were not informed, and whether or not it is in the contract, I and several other part timers where I work were never informed anything like this could ever happen. I thought I was doing good at UPS with the MRA's we received, but never knew it could be taken away at a moment's notice, and, if I would have known, I wouldn't have counted on it. Seems funny though how UPS has made record profits and feels it needs to take our MRA away now, when everything is chaos with Covid, inflation, housing, and all the crap going on in the world now. Sorry, but UPS is being very greedy, not looking out for everyone that made them their record breaking profits.

I think a huge problem at UPS, is that new people are not informed enough about the Union and the contract and all that they do. The only thing I knew in my first days, was I had to have 70 working days, then I could join, and I counted down the days, and joined. It wasn't until more than several months later that a Union Steward joined our dept and went to us and explained how everything worked. If he wouldn't have joined our dept., I wouldn't know anything more than what I did when I first joined. With that said, yes, I did go around asking people about it before he showed up, but nobody seemed to know anything....that was very weird.

There are also alot of comments about part timers not voting. I think it's because most of them aren't informed about the Union, and how important it is. It may just be here, cuz we are a RTW state, I don't know. I know I will be voting on the next contract, and plan to talk to part timers about voting.

Sorry so long for a first post...I'm sure I will get flack from it, LOL. It's ok, wanted to get my thoughts out with you all and say not all part timers are crappy and some of us do care.
Hey brother look up the “ups teamster 2023 contract proposals” group on Facebook you will find more support there ✊

wilberforce15

Full-timers are like dogs that have been kicked in the head every day for 10 years.

It doesn't matter how nice they were when they started. They learn to snap quickly at things because they've been abused.

wilberforce15

It works out....don't get to have everything I want all the time, but have enough for everything I need. It's not a glamorous life, but I'm happy.
That sentence will make every driver do this:

tropicalnorseman-hoberg.gif