PAS Affect On Cover Drivers?

Overpaid Union Thug

bigarrow:I think you worry way to much. I doubt you will ever retire from UPS by the way you worry now. How many days driving do you have so far?

What makes you think I'm worried about PAS? I'm curious and want to know a little bit about it before they shove it down our throats. And judging by the way everyone talks about it here and in the real world maybe I should be worried about it.

disneyworld

What makes you think I'm worried about PAS? I'm curious and want to know a little bit about it before they shove it down our throats. And judging by the way everyone talks about it here and in the real world maybe I should be worried about it.
"NOW,CLEAR YOUR MIND,IT KNOWS WHAT SCARES YOU"

8Years2Go

In our building they implemented PAS, EDD and re-looped every route in the building the same week going into peek almost two years ago. It is worse now then it was when they started. There was no driver inputs regarding the new routes. We were handed our new loop on paper about two days before it went into effect. The only miles they are saving are from the routes being cut out. My miles went from 38 to 40 miles a day, to 75 to 85. In the past year we have been able to cut it down to the upper 50's, except on Mondays when its near 70. They get pissed at us for over 9.5's, however they won't lower the stop count, cause then we won't dispatch. But they tell us its a production problem and not a dispatch problem. I might not be as fast as I use too, but I work smarter, safer, take all breaks and lunch, and most of all, I give my customers the quality of service they pay for. I always ask my sup's if the want quantity or quality. Quantity looks good on paper, but quality is what keeps the customers. (Take a deep breath and count to 10) Sorry to get off base!!!

The problem is they use to re-enter the packages to give them new PAL's, then they would cross them out by hand and write it in pen and now they don't and the preloaders are loading them with their old PAL's. 5780 on one car isn't the same as another, so you cant find it at first and then you find it a couple of sections later. They were also in THEORY suppose to be able to tell what is coming into the building the night before to better dispatch the routes, but we're having splits added/pulled as we pull down the back overhead door. I won't get started on the re-looping, because I still can't figure out what the hell they were thinking. As for EDD, it's great if you can walk through your car and everyting is loaded were it should be. PAS, in THEORY is great, but in reality is not. ( I think I'll take another deep breath and count to 10)

8Years2Go

Mittam, I agree! Your SOL if you have an 8 Hr request. Even though its a 9.5 in reality, in THEORY its only an 8 hr day. I use to dispatch with about 93 stops. Even though my re-looped route contains only about 50% of my old route, the new section is simular to my old route with about the same Biz to Res ratio. But has more miles and pieces and now takes about 123 stops to dispatch. I guess they figure if you need to be off in 8, you'll skip your breaks and lunch and run your but off.

over9five

Staff member
"Your SOL if you have an 8 Hr request."

Only if you let them friend you over. Ask for your two 8 hour days every month, and FILE for double time for all time worked past 8 hours. They'll get the message.

It's in the contract, they agreed to it.

over9five

Staff member
Let me follow that up by saying you probably will not get the double time.

But it is important to start a paper trail to show your management team is ignoring the contract in this area.

We shouldn't have to run our lunch to get off in eight hours.

Also, this is an easy thing for the company to do. Move the work, put in another route. DO THE HUMANE THING!

It's not rocket science.

I'm asking for 8 for Friday!

8Years2Go

Thats what was nice berfore all of this PAS and EDD crap. If you needed an 8 hour day, you would go straight to your preloader. He'd take care of you! Now that they've STUPIDFIED them, your at managements mercy. You hate to ask the drivers next to you when they're also going to be out till 7:00. Oh Well!

Overpaid Union Thug

So based on the responses to this thread and the discussions elsewhere, is it safe to say that PAS sucks and not neccesarily because of the way its set up but because the way the allowances and loops were set up because they were designed by computer geeks that have no clue what its like to actually drive in the areas? That and realitively unrealistic expectations from the top that roll down the management chain (S@&# rolls down hill) to the center managers and on car sups combine to create a total mess for the drivers? Is this a reasonable summary of what I've been reading here and other places?

disneyworld

So based on the responses to this thread and the discussions elsewhere, is it safe to say that PAS sucks and not neccesarily because of the way its set up but because the way the allowances and loops were set up because they were designed by computer geeks that have no clue what its like to actually drive in the areas? That and realitively unrealistic expectations from the top that roll down the management chain (S@&# rolls down hill) to the center managers and on car sups combine to create a total mess for the drivers? Is this a reasonable summary of what I've been reading here and other places?
DING DING DING DING DING DING-WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER. What do we have for our winner Johnny? You're a fast learner. Just one more thing,on road sups are pretty much obsolete. They don't do anything anymore except bring misloads out to you and spy on you.

Silver Fox

On PAS or not every center will still have split routes. The key is the skill of the PAS supervisor and the accuracy of the trace. PAS allows the dispatch supervisor to see with 90% accuracy the work before it arrives in the center. With this info the split or junk routes are minimized but not eliminated

BoogaBooga

I'm a cover driver and I really only know two routes. I know bits and pieces of some other route

Absorbing new routes can be very stresssful. I learned to make up my own quick look, section maps. I make them using large, good quality note cards (5 x 7), with the homemade map on one side, and notes about that section on back. The maps fit nicely in the driver pouch, and they are easy to grab and look at in the cab. It is really satisfying if an older driver asks for a copy, and unbelievably satisfying if a supervisor or manager asks for a copy to run a route.
Also suggest to the safety committee that your on car supervisor put notes in the diad board, explaining where sidestreets are near.
I went through hell my first 5 years out on the road, and it kills me to watch others struggle. Struggling is not good for business, or the driver's health and safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

ddnemeth11223344

Pas take the ADD/CUT stops out of the board and puts in the new drivers board!! All done before the driver leave the building.

browniehound

I almost forgot about another great thing about PAS. Say you have a Sig req. one day and the customer isn't home. And say they come and pick it up at the center that night. Well. guess what? That package will still show in EDD the next day and you'll be tearing the truck apart looking for that package. What a time saver, right?

I like having the info in my diad, but other than that, there are not any time-gaining benifts. The theory was, save gas and wear and tear by re-looping. The sad fact is, that all comes out in the wash when you have to break for a school or business before they close that is off trace and is in section 8000. Also, 4 out of 5 days I'm driving to the next town delivering misloads. Just my opinion.

V

veteran driver

too much work on car + packages on wrong car + reduced time allowance + packages loaded in a different part of your car every day + routes getting twisted around by management cutting and adding different areas to your route to try to make you do more in less time + eliminated routes ( causing too much work on others ) + a delivery order listing that just is plain stupid (EDD) + stop counts off because office buildings, apartment complexes , shopping centers that have one address but multiple stops are seen as just one stop so too many more stops keep getting put on your car + horrible loads = PAS. I can think of more but this should be enough for you to get the picture. and why would UPS implement such a faulty system nation wide? they must be getting something out of it even though it is certain us drivers are not. from what I have seen this system lets them totally reconfigure all the routes while keeping all the drivers under their thumb as drivers no longer really have a route anymore. drivers cant even see what has been eliminated but there has been plenty because there is a lot more work on all the cars. and less routes = less drivers. Drivers to ups are the biggest expense so if they can reduce drivers they can increase profits simple as that. What does this do for cover drivers ? makes them look less useful because management expects a lot more out of them on account of the PAS system. if management does not like what they are getting they will just plug someone else in. I think most of you new guys are no different then we were at the beginning and could be just as we are given enough time but this system makes everyone feel tied down and substandard (reduced time allowance) (unrealistic expectations ) but remember its not you at fault, its the system. GOOD LUCK !