Pass Questions

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Try to remember that trolls and Internet Commandos can only thrive in an enviornment where their posts are responded to in the first place.

They are unable or unwilling to engage in open and honest debate, or to contribute new ideas....so instead they issue personal insults, resort to threats, and make crude sexual innuendos. They also criticize other people's spelling and typographical errors.

To confront the troll or attempt to beat him at his own game is a waste of time and energy; by doing so, one simply feeds the troll that which he so desperately seeking in the first place.

A good mental excercise is to eliminate the word "you" from your posts whenever possible. Address the post itself, not the poster. Take the high road and stay out of the mud pit. Remember that if only one person participates in a pissing match, that means its just a guy making a mess all over himself while everyone else stands around and watches

I look at it a bit differently.
I treat them like a cyber-bully.
Can't and won't stand idly by and watch a bully.
I'm happy to berate these sadist if that's what they want.
I make an effort to not belabor this with multiple post or volleys as life's to short.
A clear conscience makes it worth my original investment.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I always miss out on the cyber fights. UPS NEWBIE hows your weather out there? R you near the fires? And no I dont have a map handy:smart:

UPSNewbie

I always miss out on the cyber fights. UPS NEWBIE hows your weather out there? R you near the fires? And no I dont have a map handy:smart:

Luckily no. The fires are around the center of the state, near Oklahoma City. I'm right next to Tulsa on the east side of the state.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes I saw that. Too bad people cannot carry on a civil conversation about something that many of us would like to have a better understanding of, instead start throwing insults. Tisk tisk.

Jim Kemp

Sorry, didn't mean to start a fight here but I am relieved to learn that all our problems will solved by spelling it PAS rather than PASS. I think I will call the sups at home this weekend and tell them so they can have it all solved come Monday morning.
Sometimes the solutions are so simple, thank you supersup. You big tough he man. You have such a command of the English language. How do you work with all us dumb people?

I just hope PAS (spelled correctly, I hope) doesn't put you out of a job.

Happy Easter

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Sorry, didn't mean to start a fight here but I am relieved to learn that all our problems will solved by spelling it PAS rather than PASS. I think I will call the sups at home this weekend and tell them so they can have it all solved come Monday morning.
Sometimes the solutions are so simple, thank you supersup. You big tough he man. You have such a command of the English language. How do you work with all us dumb people?

I just hope PAS (spelled correctly, I hope) doesn't put you out of a job.

Happy Easter

:rofl::rofl:

satellitedriver

Drivers should load their own pkg cars, IMHO.
Old school, yet very effective.
I have loaded my car for 14 yrs.
The time lost looking for a package is well replaced, by knowing where it is in the car.
The load is tight and over 70's are in the right place, to balance the weight in my car.
I do more physical work,(and lose time) delivering out of a PAS loaded car, than I do if I load the pkg car.
As a plus, less damaged pkg's.
BTW, my SPORH is higher if I load.
Time "wasted" loading can be time well spent.

DS

Fenderbender
Sat I agree with you,but the majority of volume is in the hubs,and with a dispatch of 350 drivers,that would have to start an hour earlier,it would have us doing 10 hour days,but I agree it would save money in the end.It takes a preloader 4 hours to do what would take us an hour to do.
IQACM take note preload wastes $$$

Dagoof

Sat I agree with you,but the majority of volume is in the hubs,and with a dispatch of 350 drivers,that would have to start an hour earlier,it would have us doing 10 hour days,but I agree it would save money in the end.It takes a preloader 4 hours to do what would take us an hour to do.

We dont do ten hour days as it is?

W

westsideworma

while i dont doubt that, remember many preloaders have 4 cars to load in that 4 hrs some even have 5. But as for loading better, well of course who knows how to load your route better than the person running it :wink2:

New Englander

The time lost looking for a package is well replaced, by knowing where it is in the car.
The load is tight and over 70's are in the right place, to balance the weight in my car.
I do more physical work,(and lose time) delivering out of a PAS loaded car, than I do if I load the pkg car.

Ever had a driver on layoff load your car? They are some of the worst.

Brownnblue

What is the matter with this guy StuperSup?
This system is new to this guy, so yes he's ignorant to certain aspects.
That was the purpose of his post.
Knowing the acronym doesn't help.
StuperSup is languishing in the sour taste that persists in his pallet from the lemon that was sold to him in the PAS system.
Sad truth is that this lemon could be significantly sweetened with an increase in maintenance and a partnership with the drivers who use it.
Company spends millions in the implementation of this system and skimps on its daily maintenance.
There will never be a preload supe with the area knowledge for every route they dispatch and of course the hourlies can't be trusted.
A viscous cycle that's played itself out in a continuous loop for 6 years now in my center.
My advice to this driver is to not plan for anything after work.
That way he won't be disappointed.
Stay in the companies ill advised trace as much as possible without incurring "known" service failures.
Take the hours, there will be a lot to be had.

A lot of good points here.

I think Helen of CA said this somewhere but I think that the worst part of PASS (intentionally spelled phonetically to irritate and annoy SuperSup) is that the system COULD BE GREAT. I remember the first week we were on it, the preload was very careful to correlate everything to the proper shelf; and it was fantastic. Selection was a snap, everything was in the right place, and this made up for the majority of the trace problems.

But as time has gone on, the add cut work has deteriorated into a joke, the loads have become sloppy, and the miles have greatly increased. I don't think that the maintenance for upkeep of the system would be that much, but it has to be done consistantly. That would take time, effort, and money. I don't see it improving,

Spiderman

Package Slinger
3 years in. I make alot of money driving around in circles.

I call it, the concentric circle plan. I do mor loop dee loops, than the Red Baron.

Naw Scratch, someone just has his internet muscles up and is trying to flex and impress all of us peons who don't know anything and are internet weaklings compared to him.

Very good analogy, iowa.

Thank you,
self acclaimed English professor.
Might I suggest you apply standardized grammatical rules into your own posts?
I can count more grammatical flaws, in your post, than you point out in the post you are attacking.
Having addressed that topic, I will move on.
You are skating on thin ice.
You have no right, or privilege, to tell anyone to "shut up" in Brown Cafe.
You have no authority to tell anyone in Brown Cafe to "Go Away".
You do have the right to remain silent, any, and everything you say will be used against you . (Simple use, of the Miranda warning)
To use your vernacular,
when sparing, one should always use a mouth guard. If you don't, you could easily end up losing your teeth, in the Brown Cafe arena.
I hope, and trust, you get my drift.

Nice!

Ever had a driver on layoff load your car? They are some of the worst.

I think they were referring to drivers, loading their own cars.

pretzel_man

Satellite:

I think that your approach works very well for extended areas. There are lots of "driver sort and loads" that are effective. On the other hand, this approach is not practical for the majority of UPS areas.

I think there is another "old school" approach that can work in the remaining locations. Its called "management get your priorities straight and do your job!!"

If you look at the things you said you do, we can appropriately apply those things to PAS sites.

First, work with the drivers and get the trace correct in DPS. Its not hard to do and if the correct input is sought a good plan can be created.

Then, properly dispatch the work including pickups. If the first step is done right, this is easy to do and monitor.

Next, work with the preload and teach them to do the same things you mentioned; lip loading, facing labels, where to put oversize / heavy packages, how to snake the load, loading tight, etc.

As you said, by creating a good load, you have higher SPORH. Isn't this what management wants anyway. If we (management) do our job and use the systems, train people, and follow up our goals will be met in a sustainable manner.

I realize people are saying that this isn't happening at your location. I've seen approach work well in many, many buildings.

The problems are not caused by the system, the drivers, or the preloaders. Management not properly using the tools we are given is the cause.

P-Man