Pass Questions

Good post as usual P-Man. I used to wish you were my center manager, but I have changed my mind. I would much prefer you to be my District Manager. That way you could at least try to stop some of the down flow of poop and work toward re-trainning the Division and Center managers that need to learn how to do the job properly.

Before anyone get's their undies in a wad, I know full well that there is room for improvement in many aspects of UPS down to and including the union workers. But gee, it has to start somewhere.

helenofcalifornia

Management that is on Brown Cafe could learn a lot by reading the posts of P-Man, Lifer, Chananon and Hoax. Years of experience in getting it right. Take note all you supervisor and managers who wonder how you can get your employees to work harder for you, maybe even go to the mats for you. You don't have to write them up, yell or threaten them; just treat them right. Won't work with all employees; we have bad ones too, but resorting to calling women bitches doesn't cut it for me.

I second the nomination of P-Man as my District Manager.:peaceful:

Spiderman

Package Slinger
First, work with the drivers and get the trace correct in DPS. Its not hard to do and if the correct input is sought a good plan can be created.
P-Man
I've done most of this and my route is pretty tight, but still needs work. When I ask for something to be done, like maybe streets High to Low or Odd and Even, they hem and haw about it.

Is there a way that NDA's can be put into a different order than the rest of the load? I mean my air gets loaded business then residential, which would be done in 2 loops. Wouldn't it be better to run it in one loop?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've done most of this and my route is pretty tight, but still needs work. When I ask for something to be done, like maybe streets High to Low or Odd and Even, they hem and haw about it.

Is there a way that NDA's can be put into a different order than the rest of the load? I mean my air gets loaded business then residential, which would be done in 2 loops. Wouldn't it be better to run it in one loop?

Is your air committed? If so, it should all be PAL to the 1000 section. If not, it will be treated like any other package under PAS/EDD.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

They hem and haw because it means more work for them. I was told they spend more time working on next weeks planned dispatch than the day they are sitting there. They have to have the next 7 days of dispatch done using projected volume.

Also, I don't think the air order is that big of a deal. You should map it out in your head before you leave the building and run it the way YOU need to run it. The order mirrors your regular ground work which is why it goes business first.

helenofcalifornia

I guess it depends on who is making the corrections on your DOL. Our Preload manager/dispatch person is fairly quick with corrections. She will tell you if she can do it that day or if it will be done within a week.

Spiderman

Package Slinger
They hem and haw because it means more work for them. I was told they spend more time working on next weeks planned dispatch than the day they are sitting there. They have to have the next 7 days of dispatch done using projected volume.

Also, I don't think the air order is that big of a deal. You should map it out in your head before you leave the building and run it the way YOU need to run it. The order mirrors your regular ground work which is why it goes business first.

That's what I mean, so am I supposed to deliver the air in that order?

helenofcalifornia

Depends on how confident you are with your delivery skills. My air is on shelf 1 and covers both rezzy and business. I try to deliver ground with the air (attempting to stick as close to trace as possible) and usually have all my business air done by 10:10-10:15. I will then shoot out to the rezzies and take care of them. How long have you been driving?

satellitedriver

I guess it depends on who is making the corrections on your DOL. Our Preload manager/dispatch person is fairly quick with corrections. She will tell you if she can do it that day or if it will be done within a week.
Wow!!!
4yrs on PAS/EDD and my sups have not fixed my DOL.
Daily, I have to call in the same misloads. Their excuse is that they are too busy to fix it.

6 years on PAS and still average about 65% trace. I had to ask a sup on Friday. I had no idea my trace was so high. The good thing is the consistancy on every route.

Spiderman

Package Slinger
Depends on how confident you are with your delivery skills. My air is on shelf 1 and covers both rezzy and business. I try to deliver ground with the air (attempting to stick as close to trace as possible) and usually have all my business air done by 10:10-10:15. I will then shoot out to the rezzies and take care of them. How long have you been driving?

i don't deliver air and ground. i do concentric loops. if you deliver air and ground, youre cutting your route down and doing mgmt a favor. i will do no such thing. each stop gets sheeted as an individual stop. i deliver erverthing according to the way its listed in edd. i pretend that everday is timestudy day. would you deliver air with ground on a timestudy? didn't think so.

screamin chicken

I totally agree with you on that spiderman, if I have a ND, and a ground for either a buisness, or resi. I tell them I will be back, I will do as much as possible with other buisness ground with my ND though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i don't deliver air and ground. i do concentric loops. if you deliver air and ground, youre cutting your route down and doing mgmt a favor. i will do no such thing. each stop gets sheeted as an individual stop. i deliver erverthing according to the way its listed in edd. i pretend that everday is timestudy day. would you deliver air with ground on a timestudy? didn't think so.

You are kidding, right? The NDA commit is 10:30 and I try to deliver as much ground as I can while ensuring I meet the commit. My first stop daily is WalMart--if I were to use your example, you would have me deliver all of their NDA and then come back and deliver their ground. Sorry, time study or not, that just does not make sense, especially at WalMart, where dock space is at a premium. Common sense should not be sacrificed simply to stay on trace or because you are being time studied.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I totally agree with you on that spiderman, if I have a ND, and a ground for either a buisness, or resi. I tell them I will be back, I will do as much as possible with other buisness ground with my ND though.

Your post conflicts itself. In the first part, you say that you never deliver ground and NDA together but, in the second, you say "I will do as much as possible with other business ground with my NDA". Which is it?

NDA is a premium service and must receive priority but whenever I can deliver all of the pkgs for a stop I will most certainly do so.

JustTired

free at last.......
Modern technology can give you the ability to simplify or streamline certain aspects of most jobs. But it is not the answer to all problems. As a matter of fact it is my opinion that it can add to the problem if not used judiciously.

Just because your car has airbags doesn't make it a good idea to drive into a wall.
Yet with all of the recent advances(?) in delivery technology and vehicle monitoring, they seem to be setting the driver up to hit that wall.

I would contend that the reason a lot of these problems with PAS/EDD don't get fixed is because too much time is being spent monitoring or handing out discipline for perceived infractions brought to light by that very same technology. Sure there's things that are not being done perfectly by the book. As long as there are humans doing the work, you'll have that. But don't take the "safe" shortcuts away and expect better results. JMO

Spiderman

Package Slinger
You are kidding, right? The NDA commit is 10:30 and I try to deliver as much ground as I can while ensuring I meet the commit. My first stop daily is WalMart--if I were to use your example, you would have me deliver all of their NDA and then come back and deliver their ground. Sorry, time study or not, that just does not make sense, especially at WalMart, where dock space is at a premium. Common sense should not be sacrificed simply to stay on trace or because you are being time studied.
they have you right where they want you. better hurry up and get done so you can be home by 1745.