Pay classification when taking new truck to broken down driver.

bakagigee

Hey there,

I have been a part-time air driver at UPS for a few years now and make top pay. I also work the preload part-time in the morning.

One day after our preload sort they had a half dozen air stops they wanted me to run so I punched off my preload sort and began my air driving. Half way through my route I received a call that a nearby UPS driver's truck had broken down and they wanted me to give him mine and then limp his back home in 2nd gear the whole way.

Here's my question, when I'm taking a new truck to a guy who is broken down, or driving his broken truck back to the UPS center, should I get paid my air rate or my inside rate from the morning? There is a big difference between the two, as my air rate is $27.24 and my inside rate is $15.30.

Also, would I get paid the same rate if they called me at home because someone was broken down and all I was doing was coming in to take him a good truck and bring his broken truck back?

Thanks.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hey there,

I have been a part-time air driver at UPS for a few years now and make top pay. I also work the preload part-time in the morning.

One day after our preload sort they had a half dozen air stops they wanted me to run so I punched off my preload sort and began my air driving. Half way through my route I received a call that a nearby UPS driver's truck had broken down and they wanted me to give him mine and then limp his back home in 2nd gear the whole way.

Here's my question, when I'm taking a new truck to a guy who is broken down, or driving his broken truck back to the UPS center, should I get paid my air rate or my inside rate from the morning? There is a big difference between the two, as my air rate is $27.24 and my inside rate is $15.30.

Also, would I get paid the same rate if they called me at home because someone was broken down and all I was doing was coming in to take him a good truck and bring his broken truck back?

Thanks.

Your air rate. You were working as an air driver at the time correct

bakagigee

I was delivering air packages when I got the call about the broken truck, yes.

Would I still get my air rate if I was sitting at home and they called me to drive a truck out to somebody and then bring their truck back?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was delivering air packages when I got the call about the broken truck, yes.

Would I still get my air rate if I was sitting at home and they called me to drive a truck out to somebody and then bring their truck back?
Driving is driving, yes you would.

bakagigee

Last question...

In this situation, I delivered three air packages, then drove a broken down truck back to the center, got a new truck, drove out and delivered three more packages, and on my way back in I got a call that another truck was broken (no kidding) so I drove out to that guy, switched trucks and drove back. But while I was driving back in from delivering my final air stops, I went over a total of 8 hours that day (worked 3.52 on the preload and then a total of 5.53 driving air and switching out these broken cars) and ended up working 9.05 total hours.

Wouldn't that last 1.05 hours of my pay be paid at my overtime air rate? Time and a half of my normal air pay of $27.24 an hour for $40.86 an hour.

bakagigee

I always thought that you got paid the overtime rate for whatever job you were doing when you went over the 8 hour mark. And since the only job I did after 8 hours was move trucks, I figured I would get paid the air rate?

Johney

Last question...

In this situation, I delivered three air packages, then drove a broken down truck back to the center, got a new truck, drove out and delivered three more packages, and on my way back in I got a call that another truck was broken (no kidding) so I drove out to that guy, switched trucks and drove back. But while I was driving back in from delivering my final air stops, I went over a total of 8 hours that day (worked 3.52 on the preload and then a total of 5.53 driving air and switching out these broken cars) and ended up working 9.05 total hours.

Wouldn't that last 1.05 hours of my pay be paid at my overtime air rate? Time and a half of my normal air pay of $27.24 an hour for $40.86 an hour.
Did you take a lunch? You worked over 8 hours. They will deduct it.

bakagigee

Did you take a lunch? You worked over 8 hours. They will deduct it.
I did not take a lunch but was under the impression that since I worked under two different part-time classifications (preload & air driver) that it did not apply. I may be wrong though.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
We can not subtract a lunch that is not taken

@Johney
Breaking-News-You-Just-Got-Burned-Funny-Burn-Meme-Image.jpg

Dr.Brownz

Hey there,

Thanks.

I think here if you get the higher wage

And if they called me at home I'd say :censored2: off