Pay classification when taking new truck to broken down driver.

Loyal Teamster

Hey there,

I have been a part-time air driver at UPS for a few years now and make top pay. I also work the preload part-time in the morning.

One day after our preload sort they had a half dozen air stops they wanted me to run so I punched off my preload sort and began my air driving. Half way through my route I received a call that a nearby UPS driver's truck had broken down and they wanted me to give him mine and then limp his back home in 2nd gear the whole way.

Here's my question, when I'm taking a new truck to a guy who is broken down, or driving his broken truck back to the UPS center, should I get paid my air rate or my inside rate from the morning? There is a big difference between the two, as my air rate is $27.24 and my inside rate is $15.30.

Also, would I get paid the same rate if they called me at home because someone was broken down and all I was doing was coming in to take him a good truck and bring his broken truck back?

Thanks.
Don't worry so much about your payrate, you'll get your fair pay. Your priority should be helping out the driver as much as possible. Work hard and money will come your way.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics