Peak and OT

Lil Jimmy

You know... if it's just 2 days, tell them you can't start until after those days. If UPS is as flexible as you've been led to believe then it won't matter, they'll probably cater to you.
So miss out almost a month of pay because 2 days? That doesn’t make much since.

PPH_over_9000

Oh shoot, they started paying you already?

My bad, never mind me.

UPS is noted for being flexible and employee friendly.

Honestly? They are, but only with part-timers. There's this weird disconnect between low hiring expectations and then outrageous on-the-job expectations.

Probably all HR's fault.

This reminds me, though, that I always told new hires on the preload that the only requirements were to show up on time and still have a pulse when you report to your work area. If you do those two things and never commit a crime on the clock WHILE SOMEBODY'S WATCHING, you've got a job for life.

Sad to say, but remembering that makes it blatantly obvious that OP might not be able to fit the criteria. Still, though.... I say he should go for it because who the :censored2: am I to say otherwise? I'm just a peasant.

Last edited:

PPH_over_9000

Contextually, you would understand that you're already missing out on pay because you don't even work here. What's another week? Two weeks? A month? You'll be in the same position you're in now.

Seriously, though, this is stupid to keep discussing. Your mind was made up before you made this thread, and honestly I doubt the thread's sincere to begin with. On the off chance that it is, though, shoot your :censored2:ing shot.

You don't need our permission.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm starting orientation next Monday. Doing this as a second job. I applied for the 2pm - 8:30pm shift. When I went to get my background they told us any questions related to other employment/obligations need to be address to our supervisor when we start. She also mentioned for Peak they would ask us to come in 2 hours earlier or stay 2 hours later. Is this mandatory? I really have no interest in working more than what I signed up for.

I also have a trip already planned for thanksgiving and I hear that is when peak begins. Is this going to be a problem?

I know once I get into the union after 30-90 days (keep reading different things) I can basically not show up for 4 days and not get fired. Worried they'll fire me before hand do to my refusing OT, and stuff. Should I even bother. Apparently they are in desperate need of people so I hope that would prevent them from canning me.
Keep your lazy ass at home ups don’t need you

Lil Jimmy

Keep your lazy ass at home ups don’t need you
Lazy? I already work another full time job.

Contextually, you would understand that you're already missing out on pay because you don't even work here. What's another week? Two weeks? A month? You'll be in the same position you're in now.

Seriously, though, this is stupid to keep discussing. Your mind was made up before you made this thread, and honestly I doubt the thread's sincere to begin with. On the off chance that it is, though, shoot your :censored2:ing shot.

You don't need our permission.
Calm down bruh. I just wanted to get some insight on some hard working upsers.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What REALLY doesn’t make sense is a seasonal hire who hasn't even punched in at UPS yet and is already talking about taking days off and wondering why it’s a big deal. Time to put on your big boy pants and work like a big boy, unless you plan to live in Mommy’s basement forever.

PPH_over_9000

Calm down bruh. I just wanted to get some insight on some hard working upsers.

"Calm down?" Lol, here's the thing. You came here for either insight (your words) or validation (my assumption.) You absolutely will not be validated here. People here will :censored2: all over you for a post like this, and it's started to happen. I tried to go against the grain, though. Hell, I still am trying!

Apply for the job. You might get it. Let them know up-front the days you won't be able to report. They'll tell you some bull:censored2: answer, likely along the lines of "Oh thank you for telling us, it'll be okay! We can plan around it!" And then you'll go on your vacation with your mind at ease thinking you're in the clear. First day that you miss, though? You're gonna get a phone call from your PT supe around start time. They won't know a :censored2:ing thing you told the person that hired you. All they'll know is there's a name on their roster that hasn't shown up, and he's supposed to be here. Boom! First no-call no-show. The next day will be a repeat. The third day, your phone won't ring at all. You might find solace in that, but you shouldn't-- it's because you don't have the job now.

That's the insight a 12-year UPSer has to offer you, and I swear to God it's not BS. I've literally watched that play out more times than I can count, the only difference being I watched it play out with actual, established employees whereas you're just some guy named Jimmy.

Lil Jimmy

What REALLY doesn’t make sense is a seasonal hire who hasn't even punched in at UPS yet and is already talking about taking days off and wondering why it’s a big deal. Time to put on your big boy pants and work like a big boy, unless you plan to live in Mommy’s basement forever.
It’s just 2 days though.
"Calm down?" Lol, here's the thing. You came here for either insight (your words) or validation (my assumption.) You absolutely will not be validated here. People here will :censored2: all over you for a post like this, and it's started to happen. I tried to go against the grain, though. Hell, I still am trying!

Apply for the job. You might get it. Let them know up-front the days you won't be able to report. They'll tell you some bull:censored2: answer, likely along the lines of "Oh thank you for telling us, it'll be okay! We can plan around it!" And then you'll go on your vacation with your mind at ease thinking you're in the clear. First day that you miss, though? You're gonna get a phone call from your PT supe around start time. They won't know a :censored2:ing thing you told the person that hired you. All they'll know is there's a name on their roster that hasn't shown up, and he's supposed to be here. Boom! First no-call no-show. The next day will be a repeat. The third day, your phone won't ring at all. You might find solace in that, but you shouldn't-- it's because you don't have the job now.

That's the insight a 12-year UPSer has to offer you, and I swear to God it's not BS. I've literally watched that play out more times than I can count, the only difference being I watched it play out with actual, established employees whereas you're just some guy named Jimmy.
I’ll be sure to text me pt supe an hour before start.

PPH_over_9000

It’s just 2 days though.

I’ll be sure to text me pt supe an hour before start.

Question: How will you get their number if you haven't started working yet?

Follow-up question: Why are you making plans to alert your supervisor that you won't be able to work when you haven't even interviewed (that's UPS-talk for "gone to orientation") for the job yet?

PPH_over_9000

Ok

when I get it on Monday after starting. All that package handling really kills the brain cells huh?
Holy :censored2:, it's amazing.... You're literally amazing.

You have orientation on Monday. You do not "start" on Monday.

Orientation is what UPS calls group interviews, and really you won't even be interviewing. They're just gonna check to see that you and the rest of the group you're a part of are all conscious and able to fill out the paperwork. Your expectations are unrealistic if you think the person you speak with at orientation is going to know the name of your PT supe, or even where you're going to be placed.

Lil Jimmy

Holy :censored2:, it's amazing.... You're literally amazing.

You have orientation on Monday. You do not "start" on Monday.

Orientation is what UPS calls group interviews, and really you won't even be interviewing. They're just gonna check to see that you and the rest of the group you're a part of are all conscious and able to fill out the paperwork. Your expectations are unrealistic if you think the person you speak with at orientation is going to know the name of your PT supe, or even where you're going to be placed.
Already filled out the paperwork. I start Monday.

PPH_over_9000

Already filled out the paperwork. I start Monday.

But did you watch the videos? Because you're not starting until you watch the videos.

And thank you, Jimmy! I swear, the past few months I've felt a little braindead... like, honestly I've had a few moments where I wondered if I was retarded or not.

You've made me realize that it's not me, it's just the people I'm surrounded with. UPS really attracts the best, you know?