Peak for Air Drivers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Great question . I’m an air driver & I just became aware that I’ll be possibly shuttling . I came here for that exact same question .

Don't get your hopes up------shuttling and delivering are not the same. If you are only transferring ground packages between drivers you will only get your air driver rate. If you are asked to deliver some of them after having met all of the drivers you would get ground rate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am in local 177. No way you will be delivering ground. Maybe shuttling. But you don't have to shuttle either. I honestly wouldn't do them any favors. You can come at your regularly scheduled time and just do your pickups. And with them hiring a lot more drivers than last year, they shouldn't have a need for you move any ground at all.

...or he could show some initiative which may bode well for him when a FT job opens up...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

what about the ground packages that air drivers are picking up at drop boxes? including the packages that dont even fir in the drop boxes? Management told me i had to pick them up and the center manager said i wont get ground wages

He is right------you are not delivering them----you are simply putting them in to a package car to be brought back to the center for processing.

PT Car Washer

He is right------you are not delivering them----you are simply putting them in to a package car to be brought back to the center for processing.
That is a very subtle difference but you are right. Most air drivers have a ground pick up on their route and the Union agreed that they will be paid air rate. But if I grab a misload and deliver it I receive top driver rate for all the time I spent driving that day. Pays to be nice to the OMS because she is the one that dispatches the misloads.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Don't get your hopes up------shuttling and delivering are not the same. If you are only transferring ground packages between drivers you will only get your air driver rate. If you are asked to deliver some of them after having met all of the drivers you would get ground rate.
Can you back this up with language from the contract?

IJustWorkHere

I won’t be taking packages to other drivers I’ll be going to Ontario which is about an hr away. I did a ride along last night . It Took about 3 hours after unloading & stuff .

542thruNthru

Here if you shuttle any ground that was not picked up at a drop box or picked up from a RPCDs pick up that they have already went to. You recieve Top Rate.

Shuttling ground packages is a expansion of Article 40 and a violation of Section 1(a) 7. Every exception air driver here is pretty much paid top rate all peak because they shuttle ground to drivers.

PT Car Washer

I won’t be taking packages to other drivers I’ll be going to Ontario which is about an hr away. I did a ride along last night . It Took about 3 hours after unloading & stuff .
Just wait until you get 6 inches of snow and you can't see where the shoulders of the road are.

UPSfit

Here if you shuttle any ground that was not picked up at a drop box or picked up from a RPCDs pick up that they have already went to. You recieve Top Rate.

Shuttling ground packages is a expansion of Article 40 and a violation of Section 1(a) 7. Every exception air driver here is pretty much paid top rate all peak because they shuttle ground to drivers.
At my building the air drivers are forced to shuttle ground packages and we only receive our air rate. I've filed greviences and have lost them.

UPSfit

Did you ask for a explanation from your local?
They said as long as i'm not the one scanning them, I don't get the pay for it.

Sometimes you have to choose your battles. $30/hr to take packages out to a driver to deliver ain't too bad.
Like our other two airs drivers we have, they didn't red circle our pay. So when they reset our progression going from part time to full time, we had to restart from the starting pay to.

PT Car Washer

They said as long as i'm not the one scanning them, I don't get the pay for it.

Like our other two airs drivers we have, they didn't red circle our pay. So when they reset our progression going from part time to full time, we had to restart from the starting pay to.
Are you saying that when you went from being a PT air driver to a FT 22.3 air driver you had to start your air progression pay over?