Peak has now become the easiest time of year.

JL 0513

Not everywhere no doubt, but it seems in most areas, we are oversaturated with resources that makes November and December the lightest paid days of the year. Tons of drivers not even seeing 8 hours. In the time since Black Friday and Cyber Monday, half the drivers in my center are barely getting 8, the other half 9-9.5 tops.
4 years ago and prior, it was 11-12 hour days.

We're also actually wrapping around start time right now which we don't do all year because of all the temporary preloaders.

PVDs are obviously the most dramatic change. UPS has taken this to the extreme leaving little available OT.

On top of that, with peak comes splitting your usual area in half simplifying your route vs the rest of the year. Plus, most large bulk stops going to rental truck routes.

And the other major change? Relaxed commits to the extreme. End of day for resi, and 3pm for business air. Just a few years ago, relaxed meant 12:00 commits which didn't help all that much.

So I guess it's time to start looking forward to peak every year now, instead of dreading the thought of it. It's a breeze now.

Last edited:

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
It’s pretty funny. I’m like the only guy in our small center that is getting 9-9.5 hours everyday. At first I was getting annoyed that 1 year drivers are getting off at 5pm. Now Im ok being the last one in. $60/hr OT, hard to be salty about that.

rod

Retired 22 years
We'll see what happens with this contract. Going to find out how much people really care about PVDs and 22.4s.

One will change peak a lot.
I don't think you need a crystal ball to tell what is going to happen. From an outsiders point of view just by reading comments on here I would say the majority of those who will vote will chose to vote yes on the first offer that UPS makes because they are running scared. PT will continue to get crapped on and full time will continue to be little more than slaves. Same O same O.

542thruNthru

I don't think you need a crystal ball to tell what is going to happen. From an outsiders point of view just by reading comments on here I would say the majority of those who will vote will chose to vote yes on the first offer that UPS makes because they are running scared. PT will continue to get crapped on and full time will continue to be little more than slaves. Same O same O.
I don't agree with the running scared part. I think that's just the same O old timer talk that's out of touch.

Some are scared of a strike true. I more think it's we're all too divided. A portion wants PVDs gone and another portion likes them. Most don't care about the 22.4 position because it doesn't concern them. Just like striking for PTers. Most won't strike for 22.4s.

Old timers will vote yes for any pension contribution.

RPCDs will vote yes for any good raise and 9.5 protection.

22.4s are a minority and will vote no unless they are changed to RPCDs.

PTers are going to vote no regardless what happens because even if they get the big raise they will not get a catch up raise.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't agree with the running scared part. I think that's just the same O old timer talk that's out of touch.

Some are scared of a strike true. I more think it's we're all too divided. A portion wants PVDs gone and another portion likes them. Most don't care about the 22.4 position because it doesn't concern them. Just like striking for PTers. Most won't strike for 22.4s.

PTers are going to vote no regardless what happens because even if they get the big raise they will not get a catch up raise.
Old timers (if they are still the same) will NEVER vote yes on the first offer. You are foolish to. Contrary to popular belief UPS's first offer is never the "best" one.

HavenoEDD

Weather plays a part and for most of the nation we haven’t had any issues. No backup means that with staffing some peaks are manageable. This year so far, it’s been slow. Economy has hurt people, Amazon taking more on board, Drivers happy to go home without their 8, More PVDs than before.

Union likes the seasonal/casual and PVD dues loophole otherwise they would be 100% against. They are not though.
Company has taken full advantage of that plus the memberships lack of courage/ability to fight the issue.

R1wonder

Most of this is accurate, expect the part timer part . The majority of them don’t even vote . Luckily this time around all those useless members won’t affect the ones who care

542thruNthru

Union likes the seasonal/casual and PVD dues loophole otherwise they would be 100% against. They are not though.
Company has taken full advantage of that plus the memberships lack of courage/ability to fight the issue.
This would make sense if every local had seasonals/casuals and PVDs pay dues.

For one 28 states are right to work and not every local makes seasonals pay dues.

542thruNthru

Most of this is accurate, expect the part timer part . The majority of them don’t even vote . Luckily this time around all those useless members won’t affect the ones who care
I'd love to see the data on this.

Sorry, you're going off of personal experience. You vote so that means FTers vote and PTers don't. That's not the case. Less than 93k voted out of 350k. Numbers don't match up.

Brown Down

i think pvds aren't going anywhere as seasonal employees. With that said the union needs to really come up with realistic numbers and rules for them. Right now in our center they can't be used if anyone is laid off(not a problem now but just a few weeks ago it was) and everyone gets their 8. They could even limit how many and how much they actually get to deliver. For example they can only run whatever 10 percent of drivers there are and 10 percent of volume.

UncleRico

in Upstate NY we are getting hit hard...Ive seen many trucks delivering out past 9pm....pretty much 1/2 of the Pvd's quit that they hire anyway(but they always find more to take their place), although some are out delivering past 8pm....not sure why we have so much freight compared to others,(tuesday was the highest day of the year i believe) its not like this is some extremely wealthy area or something...im guessing we have around 20 Pvd's or so atm....

542thruNthru

in Upstate NY we are getting hit hard...Ive seen many trucks delivering out past 9pm....pretty much 1/2 of the Pvd's quit that they hire anyway(but they always find more to take their place), although some are out delivering past 8pm....not sure why we have so much freight compared to others,(tuesday was the highest day of the year i believe) its not like this is some extremely wealthy area or something...im guessing we have around 20 Pvd's or so atm....
That's because upstate retired.

i think pvds aren't going anywhere as seasonal employees. With that said the union needs to really come up with realistic numbers and rules for them. Right now in our center they can't be used if anyone is laid off(not a problem now but just a few weeks ago it was) and everyone gets their 8. They could even limit how many and how much they actually get to deliver. For example they can only run whatever 10 percent of drivers there are and 10 percent of volume.
Lightened up our PVD's to 4 to 6 hours just to keep them from quitting. Seems to have worked. Also weather has been great for this time of year.

UncleRico

We have pvds that will gladly work 60 hrs if they give it to them...theres gotta be a happy medium in there somewhere...we've had a lot of rain, but the lack of snow has been for the best....they give package car drivers just under 10 hours of work for the day atm so they can still force them on Saturday for 10 more if needed...which is in line with the last 2 posters above

JL 0513

Coinciding with UPS launching PVDs was the launch of Amazon's delivery fleet. Being in full swing now, Amazon is delivering countless millions of their own packages each day.

Can't imagine how screwed we'd be without those two factors. The 70 hour rule wouldn't be enough to cover it.