Peak Helpers

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Rumor has it that our station won't be hiring drivers helpers this Peak. Haven't had an opportunity to pin down the SM yet. Anyone else have a definitive for their station?

SmithBarney

Rumor has it that our station won't be hiring drivers helpers this Peak. Haven't had an opportunity to pin down the SM yet. Anyone else have a definitive for their station?

It's true, because Amazon will be delivering their own, we won't have any Amazon packages at all, in fact FXE will be sending many packages through to Amazon to deliver for us

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That’s what they said at my station too but something tells me they’ll change that. They’re hiring Quest contractors to run routes here.

Star B

White Lightening
Our station put a posting online for helpers this year but we didn't do it in years past. We've been so blown out with amzn freight it's nuts.

It will be fine

Are you in the union?
7582709A-B860-4720-83F1-74CF8A5CCC6F.gif

Oldfart

That’s what they said at my station too but something tells me they’ll change that. They’re hiring Quest contractors to run routes here.
They really dropped the ball with the Quest Couriers in many areas. They didn't allow enough time for them to attend Defensive Driving class and get their basic on-road training. Many are hired but will never see the road as a result.

cosis

I asked my manager today. Our station isn't hiring driver helpers this year. They are hiring temporary drivers to work Dec 1 - Dec 31. Since our station doesn't have enough trucks, they are using rentals.

5yearsleft

Our station will not use cartage agents this year. They are relying on the "friends and family program". Who would do that to their family???

dezguy

They're recruiting "neighbourhood agents" here. Basically, people delivering resi's out of their own vehicle, piecemeal.

Scary part is, sounded like this isn't just for peak.

dezguy

And people think it’s crazy they’d give Ground contractors your deliveries.
I don't know about down there, but come peak, we usually end up with a ton of ground crap because they can't handle the stuff in their own system. They don't even try to hide it. You can see the ground astra label underneath ours.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our station will not use cartage agents this year. They are relying on the "friends and family program". Who would do that to their family???
I would. My daughter is a college student. She could make $7.50 an hour working in a daycare center or $20 being a jumper working as much as she wants. No hard decision there. Problem is we probably won’t have jumpers.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

One year (2010?) the company outsourced a lot of the RTD work to some of the contractors they use to move Two Day and Express Saver freight. It didn't work out as planned. Some of the contractors were ok but some were the drizzling shats. They were being used, among other things, to take freight directly from MEMH to certain stations. Drivers ran out of DOT hours while en route on several occasions. Others stopped for fuel and breaks along the way. The contractors assured Express that none of that would happen but their drivers didn't get the memo.